The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 PM

OK, OK ... more pictures...

The back braces are glued in place using the same template.

The back is glued to the sides

The next step will be to create a slight forward slope at the front of the body so that the fretboard will follow the top even though the neck is angled.

Here is one of the new jigs I am "testing." From about the area of the center of the soundhole to the neck block the jig tapers at about 1 deg.

The router is equiped with a flat bottom bit, the base of the router rides along the jig, cutting away the sides and kerfing, this process removes about 1/16" from the sides at the area where the neck attaches down to nothing at the upper bout.

The top is then glued to the back and sides.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 AM

Great pix.

Can you expain how you controlled the fretboard extension angle vs. the top plate angle prior to implementing this new jig?

Also, did you get this idea from Kenneth Michael Guitars? I ask because I know he's a proponent of removing material from the rim in the upper bout area to match the fretboard extension and top plate angles......he's found that this is the same method that Martin is using.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 AM

Lookin Good , Harvl........Do the "gussets" on the neck block make things more stable ?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:13 AM

Over the years I've used a number of different methods, from sanding the detail in (which is how Martin does it) to adding a wedge under the fretboard extension and then binding the fretboard. I had been planning on using the Martin method but building a complicated fixture to accurately lower the body at the right angle and depth would have been more work. One day it dawned on me that making a piece of 3/4" MDF taper at 1 deg on one end was pretty easy with a thickness sander...

The "gussets" or "corbels" as I like to call them add an amazing amount of strength to the neck block. My necks are completely bolted in - fretboard and all - so I need to add strength to the block to compensate for not having the fretboard glued down. This design also provides a nice pocket area for a block of wood that is under the fretboard extension to fit into. I can also use this pocket to make sure the neck block is exactly perpendicular to the centerline of the guitar.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 AM

Better try and get caught up here before the guitar is done....

The body fresh from the build form.

Routing the end graft stripe

Installing the stripe.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Geeze you make me feel like I am building behind my back with a mirror. Swiping some of your Jig ideas! Looks great Harv
Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
Over the years I've used a number of different methods, from sanding the detail in (which is how Martin does it) to adding a wedge under the fretboard extension and then binding the fretboard. I had been planning on using the Martin method but building a complicated fixture to accurately lower the body at the right angle and depth would have been more work. One day it dawned on me that making a piece of 3/4" MDF taper at 1 deg on one end was pretty easy with a thickness sander...
Hi Harv,

Can you explain "sanding the detail in"? I'm not sure what that means.

By the way, do you radius the rim and the back of the number one brace in the upper bout area or do you leave the rim and back of the number one brace flat in the upper bout with this latest jig?

Here are a couple of links for others that are handling the fretboard extension angle the way you do (both of them advocate flat rim and braces in the upper bout when using this method):

-http://www.lenaweelutherie.info/page6/page24/page24.html

-http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/neckangle.html
Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
Swiping some of your Jig ideas!
Most of them I swiped (and modified...) from someone else so have at it

I think making jigs might be more fun than making guitars sometimes... but guitars usually smell better

Harv
Old 01-05-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdrive55 View Post
Hi Harv,

Can you explain "sanding the detail in"? I'm not sure what that means.

By the way, do you radius the rim and the back of the number one brace in the upper bout area or do you leave the rim and back of the number one brace flat in the upper bout with this latest jig?

Here are a couple of links for others that are handling the fretboard extension angle the way you do (both of them advocate flat rim and braces in the upper bout when using this method):

-http://www.lenaweelutherie.info/page6/page24/page24.html

-http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/neckangle.html
The tops are flat and the front tapers on a flat plan as well. I would sand the angle in using the disc sander I use to sand the back rad. into the sides and kerfing. Here is the disc sander, it has interchangeable dished and flat sanding surfaces. This disc spins at a couple hundred RPM's and I lower the body down by hand for the back. To accurately sand in the taper would require a mechanism to hold the body at 1 deg and also have a stop to keep from sanding too much or not enough, this would also require that the body be placed in the exact same location each time so it's not a simple thing using ball-bearing drawer slides etc.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 AM

My fixture for routing binding ledges, the dowel keeps the router parallel to the sides and the "shoe" maintains depth control.

Binding being taped in place on Rusty's guitar

Scraping the binding and herringbone on the Road Show guitar

masking tape is placed where the bridge will go.

Bridge is screwed in place and the tape is trimmed with a sharp X-Acto knife

The tape left behind matches the shape of the bridge
Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 PM

Default We need an update....

Hey Harv,

How goes the progress on the Road Show Build?

Also, what kind of wood do you use for your go bars and how do you cut it?

Thanks,

Erik
Old 01-20-2011, 01:04 PM

The go bars are cut from 3/4" poplar about 3/16" thick, I slice them on the table saw.

More Pictures....

Here is a design for a torch-style headstock inlay (thinking about a future production run of imported VG's with this inlay pattern)

The headstock veneer is clamped in place

The completed headstock

Next the fretboard is glued to the neck

After the fretboard is glued, the cut is made for fold (the pocket for the hinge is cut before the fretboard is glued on) Finally, the frets are added. Now the guitar is ready for finish!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:14 PM

I sense Roadshow anxiety......tension building!

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 AM

sorry no pictures... just boring finsh being applied... Good news is I think I just need to wait a few more days to fully cure and then buff and set it up. Then I'll let it set for a week to make sure it's "set" and then send it on it's way.

Harv
Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 AM

Rounding the home stretch!!! All finished and buffed and the bridge is on. It even has strings on it! I expect it to begin it's journey next week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop