The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-29-2011, 12:15 PM

a couple more

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 05-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Wow, that looks amazing. Any sound clips yet? As you can see from my youtube clips I'm rather smitten by my cherry Tamar. They do make extremely good guitars, and I love that figured mahogany.

I am currently waiting on a custom Brook. It is a baritone Tavy, that is going to be used for C to C tunings. I wanted a kind of 'theme' for it, and I had been thinking for a while whether it would be possible to make a guitar totally out of British/ European materials. Its been a little tricky in some areas but basically they have succeeded. The specs are:

European spruce top
Yew back and sides
Sycamore/ walnut/ cherry laminate neck
3000 year old bog oak fingerboard, bridge and headplate
Shertler tuners
Copper side dots
All internal bracing to use only native woods (such as tulip wood and poplar)

Can't wait till its finished!

Enjoy your lovely new guitar,

Robbie

www.youtube.com/ukrobbiej1
www.soundclick.com/robbiej
Old 05-29-2011, 08:15 PM

Jerry

My all mahogany parlour is a Larrivee 00-50 MT and you can see it in action with my son playing it here. Its all I could want really but I still find myself wondering about selling it to put down the deposit on a Brook parlour. I've recently emigrated to the west coast of Canada (Larrivee land in fact!) and I've got a sentimental notion about having a very english guitar out here with me very much as Robbie suggests in his post. The plan would be for a 12 fret slot-head Lyn out of either yew or if possible the walnut from Kew gardens (that's yew or kew I guess) with an english bog oak pyramid bridge, fingerboard and headstock overlay. I don't think there are any home grown options for the top so cedar might do it with the walnut or european spruce with the yew. I'm really intrigued by all the internal bracing options and need suggestions about the binding.

How did you settle on your body size Jerry? Brook make such a range of small sizes that it's pretty difficult to decide - was it sound or playability and did you think about going as big as the Lynn?

I keep thinking about talking to Simon about this as a project and then think I should be concentrating more on playing what I've already got!!

My son made a film about Brook which is on the front page of their website and my slot-head Taw gets a walk on part.

Nice to see a group of Brook fans here on the forum. I was impressed with Wade's comments in the London guitar shops thread about experiencing the Brooks at Ivor Mairants - that's where I caught the bug too.

Last edited by shuffle; 05-30-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrobbiej1 View Post
Wow, that looks amazing. Any sound clips yet? As you can see from my youtube clips I'm rather smitten by my cherry Tamar. They do make extremely good guitars, and I love that figured mahogany.

I am currently waiting on a custom Brook. It is a baritone Tavy, that is going to be used for C to C tunings. I wanted a kind of 'theme' for it, and I had been thinking for a while whether it would be possible to make a guitar totally out of British/ European materials. Its been a little tricky in some areas but basically they have succeeded. The specs are:

European spruce top
Yew back and sides
Sycamore/ walnut/ cherry laminate neck
3000 year old bog oak fingerboard, bridge and headplate
Shertler tuners
Copper side dots
All internal bracing to use only native woods (such as tulip wood and poplar)

Can't wait till its finished!

Enjoy your lovely new guitar,

Robbie

www.youtube.com/ukrobbiej1
www.soundclick.com/robbiej
Thanks Robbie, I've had the guitar a couple of days now & I'm totally smitten.It sounds lovely.I don't own any recording devices I'm afraid but I am looking at purchasing a portable recorder asap.

I like the idea of your new Brook being all British , it should be a corker!!

Love the YOUTUBE clips btw.Your Tamar sounds ace & great playing.

Gary
Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle View Post
Jerry

My all mahogany parlour is a Larrivee 00-50 MT and you can see it in action with my son playing it here. Its all I could want really but I still find myself wondering about selling it to put down the deposit on a Brook parlour. I've recently emigrated to the west coast of Canada (Larrivee land in fact!) and I've got a sentimental notion about having a very english guitar out here with me very much as Robbie suggests in his post. The plan would be for a 12 fret slot-head Lyn out of either yew or if possible the walnut from Kew gardens (that's yew or kew I guess) with an english bog oak pyramid bridge, fingerboard and headstock overlay. I don't think there are any home grown options for the top so cedar might do it with the walnut or european spruce with the yew. I'm really intrigued by all the internal bracing options and need suggestions about the binding.

How did you settle on your body size Jerry? Brook make such a range of small sizes that it's pretty difficult to decide - was it sound or playability and did you think about going as big as the Lynn?

I keep thinking about talking to Simon about this as a project and then think I should be concentrating more on playing what I've already got!!

My son made a film about Brook which is on the front page of their website and my slot-head Taw gets a walk on part.

Nice to see a group of Brook fans here on the forum. I was impressed with Wade's comments in the London guitar shops thread about experiencing the Brooks at Ivor Mairants - that's where I caught the bug too.
Thats a great clip of your son playing the Larrivee.Sounds really good.I understand your dilemma when you have such a nice looking & sweet sounding guitar. I thought long & hard before ordering the Clyst as it was a large financial layout for me.My wife swung it for me when she said ,"You only live once, go for it".
I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of mine.Every time i open the case it's put a huge grin on my face.
To be honest I was torn between the Clyst & the Lyn. I'm only 5'6" & larger guitars just don't feel comfortable to me.

PS. My wife is going to expect a large present in return one day.I think she's biding her time!!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:33 PM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle View Post
...Nice to see a group of Brook fans here on the forum....
As the proud owner of a Torridge, I second that comment

That film your son made is excellent, by the way.

jerrycornelius, your new Brook is possibly the most beautiful Brook I've seen, and that's saying quite a lot. You must be chuffed to bits!

Fliss
Old 05-31-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
As the proud owner of a Torridge, I second that comment

That film your son made is excellent, by the way.

jerrycornelius, your new Brook is possibly the most beautiful Brook I've seen, and that's saying quite a lot. You must be chuffed to bits!

Fliss
Thanks Fliss,

chuffed to bits is an understatement
She sure is a mighty fine looking geetar. And I'm so impressed by the lovely rich ringing tone when strummed or fingerpicked.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop