The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-10-2017, 10:56 PM

Default Cable

Ok, we have Comcast. Went from $110 a month to $160 without warning. Been looking at Century Link. Anyone else have CL? Good/bad....
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 12-11-2017, 12:50 AM

You have to bundle around here to use Centurylink.
I shut off my cable and put up a nice air antenna.
I have Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu for $30.00/month total.
Internet adds another $40.00/month.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:10 AM

Default tried

Tried CL and immediately ripped it out and took equip back , Wouldnt work correctly with cordless phones causing interference , TV Menu had continuous background scrolling which would drive about anyone nuts . Could only record 2 channels , Have Spectrum Which was formerly Bright House , Phone TV HD Internet $187 mo . Florida , Not any choices..
Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

I can’t find enough stuff with the time to watch or listen to that would make that kind of monthly expense worth it to me.

I pay 75 a month to comcast to get high speed internet so I can work from home over VPN , but I find most of the movies I want to watch are old favorites for which I already own the DVD.

Today I am going to compare that cost to an upgrade to my phone service.

I am thinking maybe my occasional use of Apple TV mirroring for YouTube and netflix would be satisfied that way.

I can go weeks without turning on a screen for entertainment. More often my 40” screen displays a spreadsheet.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 12-11-2017, 12:49 PM

What are the alternatives in your area? That's the question. Evaluate the 1,2,3.... options and pick the one that works the best for you. Gosh, it's a lot like guitar strings.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:23 PM

Everyone I know that uses "cable" or "satellite" complains about unannounced price-hikes; and how they spend 30-40 minutes every other month duking it out with their provider to remove the new charges.

I read something (sorry, no source) a month or two ago that said nearly 2 million "cable" customers in USA alone had "cut the cord" and disconnected service in the previous fiscal quarter!!!

That is HUGE!

But it makes perfect sense. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and YouTube, I have 10 times more TV content than I could possibly watch, and it costs me $30/month. I'm never at a loss for something to watch - though I don't care to watch live sports.

The "cable" suppliers are dying. They will need to make drastic changes to how they supply content if they wish to survive much longer.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:05 PM

The last time I had cable was during Gulf War I / Desert Shield, so 1990. Cable service came with a new house and was left connected with the intent of getting us hooked. It started out at $7 every other month for basic programming (not too bad) then suddenly jumped to $14 each month. We've used an antenna ever since. A $125 antenna paid for itself in just a few months.

Locally we can get 24 HD channels using a $79 antenna. If I cannot find anything on broadcast TV or there isn't anything that I've already saved to DVR, that is my signal to go play guitar, go for a walk, play with the cats, etc.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

My cable is 200$. I get a price increase every 4 or 5 months and found a way to negotiate it downwards that works at my local cable provider. Call them up ask for cancelation sales. Tell the CS that you have been a longtime customer and do not want to continue because of the price increase. They will "look for new promotions" and come back ready to keep you at all costs. This also works for XM Sirius and LA times newspaper subscriptions.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
My cable is 200$. I get a price increase every 4 or 5 months and found a way to negotiate it downwards that works at my local cable provider. Call them up ask for cancelation sales. Tell the CS that you have been a longtime customer and do not want to continue because of the price increase. They will "look for new promotions" and come back ready to keep you at all costs. This also works for XM Sirius and LA times newspaper subscriptions.
Same out here with Comcast.....might be more than we wish, but the service is top rate.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Found the same to be true of DirecTV (not cable, I know).

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-11-2017, 02:44 PM

Go with the internet service provider known for the most reliability.

Our only cable is that local monopoly providing Internet service. We do not miss anything. Apple, Amazon Prime and a Netflix account have had plenty. We're $ ahead to just have the family with 5 wireless accounts in same plan and the ISP service.

Please know I'm not much of a TV person but my family is fine with this new way of consuming. We also have an inexpensive HD antenna for the TV.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:11 PM

I went BACK to cable just abut the time Spectrum bought out TW around here...

I had Direct TV for about 3 years, and have never experienced such high priced, poor quality reception, and we have NEVER experienced such rude and insulting "customer service"...

Went to Spectrum with basic service, high speed internet, and free cordless phone service for the house...

We have Amazon Prime and Netflix, and are never at a loss for something to view...

I don't see the bill, my wife pays it, and she says we are mucho $$ ahead, and the service can't be beat...
Old 12-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Hey Marty. I’m a hardly ever watch tv guy, but my SO is a daily watcher. We’re in a temporary residence here in Florida, waiting for our new condo to be finished. (Actually just finished-moving in next week) The internet and tv here are century link. I don’t know the details of the service, but it’s horrible. Tv looks like grainy broke up satalite most of the time, and the internet’s so slow it reminds me of dial up. I would never pay for this level of service. Not a dime. It’s faster to turn my WiFi off and use phone data. They only offer dsl here. I thought dsl went the way of the dinosaur. Well, it should have. I have nothing good to say about CL. Just painfully horrible.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic