The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-13-2017, 12:33 PM

Good ol' days? All I can say (at 63 years of age) is central air and heat. Thank you!
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 12-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanleyJ View Post
Good ol' days? All I can say (at 63 years of age) is central air and heat. Thank you!
That and freshly ground and steamed per cup coffee out of the Jura !! can we say Hallelujah

Back to the OP
Funny though how some things change :
" Life is change how it differs from the rocks" Jefferson Airplane 1969

And some things do not :
" It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," Charles Dickens 1859

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

The world is going to 7734 in a hand-basket, and has been as long as one generation looks aghast at the one coming up.

Sooner or later, Guitar Center is going out of business and the world will come to an end - not with a bang, but a whimper, as T.S. Elliot might say.

The only really sad part in all this is that we will no longer have need to comment on the deteriorating condition of Guitar Center, so there will be fewer threads that lack substance on AGF.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-13-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
I do not think things are worse, just a different. I say this considering how the US was not a great place to live for everyone 100 years ago. Life was difficult and the social resources many enjoy were not abundant.

Some of you have wonderful retirement packages that were not available 100 years ago. Few could afford the luxuries that many of you enjoy with your lists of dozens of guitars. Most young people today will never have fully paid retirement and healthcare available to them. Most will not be able to afford tens of thousands of dollars tied up in motorcycles, guitars, and such as many 60 year olds do today

Education has risen since student loans became available. Many of you did not have to go in debt to attend university.

I see a lot of selfishness in the over 60 crowd.
This.

Crime is down.
Life expectancy is up.
Lynching is illegal.
Interracial and same sex marriage is legal.
Race and gender based discrimination are illegal. Sure they still happen but at least there's a recourse now.
Science is discovering new stuff all the time. Crispr is amazing. Some diseases have been eradicated, or become non deadly.
Cars are both faster and safer.
Self-driving cars are real.
The internet.
Cheap guitars are good, and good guitars can be very cheap.
You can order anything you need and have it the next day, or the same day sometimes.

What's not to like?

And older generations have been griping about the world going to pot for millennia. If they were right, we'd be extinct as a species.

And if today's world is indeed awful, who made it that way?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
When I was a kid, in a statistically more dangerous time, we were pretty much free range.
Maybe it was a more dangerous time because you were running around loose!

Old 12-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
This.

Crime is down.
Life expectancy is up.
Lynching is illegal.
Interracial and same sex marriage is legal.
Race and gender based discrimination are illegal. Sure they still happen but at least there's a recourse now.
Science is discovering new stuff all the time. Crispr is amazing. Some diseases have been eradicated, or become non deadly.
Cars are both faster and safer.
Self-driving cars are real.
The internet.
Cheap guitars are good, and good guitars can be very cheap.
You can order anything you need and have it the next day, or the same day sometimes.

What's not to like?

And older generations have been griping about the world going to pot for millennia. If they were right, we'd be extinct as a species.

And if today's world is indeed awful, who made it that way?
Well, there are "these guys" and "those guys", with "these guys" most often being "us guys". It is always "those guys" who screwed it up. They could be the other political party, the other religion, the other country, "kids these days", but it is never "us guys".

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Well, then again, you're not living it right now either.

Pretty easy to judge from afar.

These agencies have so many rules/regulations and hoops to jump through they don't even know the truth any longer. When you run around doing what you are told to do over and over, then someone comes back and says "well that's not right" - that's freakin' chaos when your the pinball in their pinball machine.
Incompetence is incompetence everywhere. Sorry you have to deal with it during trying times.

On the other hand, the same people who would do away with the "rules/regulations" are the same people who would take Medicaid away altogether, so maybe it's a case of taking the good with the bad, if the alternative is no good at all?

(Not making a political statement or judgement, just pointing out a reality of today)

Good luck getting your parents help. It's rough.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Well, there are "these guys" and "those guys", with "these guys" most often being "us guys". It is always "those guys" who screwed it up. They could be the other political party, the other religion, the other country, "kids these days", but it is never "us guys".

Tony
Exactly!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

Back to the OP
Funny though how some things change :
" Life is change how it differs from the rocks" Jefferson Airplane 1969
No, that's not the Airplane. The Airplane were all Sci Fi freaks. That line is from the John Wyndham classic The Chrysalids. Although I've never heard any of them fess up to it, I think the story may have also been one of the feeding inspirations for Wooden Ships. Both story and song deal with the after effects of a nuclear war. (Great little story btw).

To address the OP's issue.......I think we are pretty lucky to be the first generation to witness cats play the piano on the internet.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Most of the responses seem to run right past what I've learned to be true in my 67+ years. What happens is not nearly as important as one's perception of what happens. A number of people witness something and all have varied interpretations of what happened because they view life differently and inevitably add or subtract based on their own individual perceptual framework. While we might agree that the world has changed, the meaning of that change is subject to interpretation....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-14-2017, 05:49 AM

I didn't reply to the thread in the first go around, but here goes (Note that I am a child of the 1950s):

I have come to believe that the "greatest generation" was an anomaly. They had the commonality of being born during a time of great social change (women get the vote, the jazz age, the "Great" war), and dealing with prosperity (1920s) followed by adversity (the depression followed by WWII). By the time the fifties rolled around, these folks (who had delayed gratification for many reasons) were ready to kick back, drink a beer, have families, go to college on the GI Bill, move out of their apartments to a real house in the suburbs, buy a first (then second) car, buy a tv, etc. etc. It was truly a time of upward mobility and prosperity. America had no competition in the world (You may remember a popular book from the time, "The Ugly American").

But, it wasn't all bread and roses. David Halberstam's book, "The Fifties", lends great support to the thought that that decade was a precursor to the tumult of the sixties and the seventies. In particular, he notes the forgotten generation who fought in Korea, the fear of thermonuclear war, the 'beat' generation (which it can be argued was a result of many vets returning from WWII unable to fit back into society), and the struggle of blacks to achieve equality and hitting walls placed in their way - both overt and covert. And let's not forget that women in the 1950s could also make a case for being treated as second class citizens.

The world has changed\evolved yet again. Like our parents generation (those born in the 1920's and raising families in the 50s and 60s) many of us are bewildered by the customs and music of our children.

IMO, the greatest change underlying our discomfort is longevity. Our grandparents (born in the 1890s) didn't expect to live much past 65. They were surprised when the made it to the 70's and some to the 80's. Our parents (born in the 1920s), expected to live till about age 80 and again, were surprised to live into, through and beyond that mark. My generation. similarly, will be faced with the prospect of living into the 90s, and likely beyond. We are in a time when families are establishing new social constructs and the elderly have time and energy, but little direction. Secondly, education\information and thirdly, mobility\communication, have totally changed the world.

I like what I am seeing in the upcoming generation (born in the 1990s). They are very communicative, even if it is not in the way we are familiar with. They are worldly - many have spent time overseas. They work collaboratively - many times because of the technology. And you might say that their defining film is 'Star Wars' , their literature, "Harry Potter"while their parents were defined by "Gidget" and the "Stones".

Enough of my rambling. Generalities are fun, but not always relevant. Each one of us lives with our own perception of our world and each one of us has the liberty to filter it as we wish. To many others points, there IS a lot more to filter these days. But I suspect that essentially, the individual and the individual's struggle in life hasn't changed all that much, but our perspective and overview has.

best,

Rick

PS -In previous generations, life was often cut short in its prime (disease, accidents and war). The 'boomers' have been relatively free from these issues and the millennials experience these issues even less - there is a lot to be hopeful for.

Last edited by srick; 12-14-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Writer View Post
No, that's not the Airplane. The Airplane were all Sci Fi freaks. That line is from the John Wyndham classic The Chrysalids. Although I've never heard any of them fess up to it, I think the story may have also been one of the feeding inspirations for Wooden Ships. Both story and song deal with the after effects of a nuclear war. (Great little story btw).

To clarify I was merely quoting where I heard it from, the Airplane song " Crown of Creation" not attempting identifying original authorship, sorry for any confusion ... No surprise since lifting lines and or story ideas from literature is a long established songwriting practice . Which IMO doesn't take anything away from the song .

Also I don't know that they are particularly trying to hide the fact, given for example a quick google pops up with this http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=14316
And certainly possible perhaps likely that Kantner , Stills and Crosby, got the idea for Wooden Ships from literature also

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 12-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Most of the responses seem to run right past what I've learned to be true in my 67+ years. What happens is not nearly as important as one's perception of what happens. A number of people witness something and all have varied interpretations of what happened because they view life differently and inevitably add or subtract based on their own individual perceptual framework. While we might agree that the world has changed, the meaning of that change is subject to interpretation....
Yes the fundamental nature of the amount that perception actually controls one's views of "reality" far more than the other way around , escapes significant numbers of people .
The irony being that often those who believe themselves to be the most "realistic " can actually harbor some of the more subjective cherry picked notions as proofs for world view.
Often in the complexity of today's world the simple and basic concept that "if you change your perception, you change your world " gets lost in the struggle, noise, and confusion .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
...Often in the complexity of today's world the simple and basic concept that "if you change your perception, you change your world " gets lost in the struggle, noise, and confusion .
I like that....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-14-2017, 06:31 PM

There is only 1 real world . Everything else is false perception .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic