The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-07-2017, 10:55 AM

...and then delivery folks leave packages at your doorstep without ringing the door bell... Ooops, sorry, wrong thread...

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 12-07-2017, 11:50 AM

Please note how this thread is worded . The World and ( US ) are 2 very different things .
Since most of those participating in this are in the US , I will limit my comments to that .
Life here in the US has never been so convenient or easy . The time spent today being busy living was , not that long ago , used surviving .
We basically find what we are searching for , so be careful what you wish/ask for because you just may get it .
With more people , there will be more rude/negative people and vice versa .
We have become generally more narcissistic overall as people for numerous reasons .
None of this stuff means anything . What matters is how you and I use it .
The one factor that I never seem to see is the realization that each generation is raised and shaped by previous generations , so don't try to project this to all of those young folks because they aren't alone .
For theses that claim that the past does not matter , they are doomed to repeat it .
Humans are herd animals . There was a time when banishment was the ultimate punishment .
Of course , there are individuals that did not and do not fear this punishment . They tend to be mistrusted and feared for their willingness to truly be individuals . The irony of it all is that the parts of the herd that proclaim this trait for themselves are often scared to death of being alone in the world which is exactly what we are at the beginning and the end .
Societies and groups are always in flux , but the individual is always the individual whether in a group or solitary .
Find your path and walk it .
Old 12-07-2017, 12:04 PM

Media saturation has changed how we see things and how we feel about the world. The stats about violent crime being down are true. You wouldn't know it by watching the news.

The problem is the news media runs 24 hours now, and they have to have something to broadcast or post and sensationalism drives ratings. When there were fewer channels on tv and no internet, you would never have had 7 days of near constant coverage of a single missing person or other singular event, nor do we need it now, IMO.

People are frightened to let their children go anywhere unaccompanied now. When I was a kid, in a statistically more dangerous time, we were pretty much free range. In the summer when school was out, we left in the morning on foot or on bike and returned for supper that evening. There were no cell phones to call and check on us, either. I don't see that anymore.

I also think all the graphic video games that kids have today cut down on imagination. You don't need imagination anymore to be a kid. There are constant artificial, yet realistic looking, images in play now. Imagination is not required. I watch my grand kids playing video games, being hurried off to soccer, softball, etc. and think, "when do they just go outside and play in the dirt." Has my grandson ever thrown a dirt clod at his sister? Does my grandson know what a dirt clod is? Am I just being nostalgic about dirt clods?

Is there such thing as unorganized sports anymore? The kind that doesn't require a ride to practice and a coach. The kind that was played in vacant lots somewhere in the neighborhood. The kind that sometimes required a trip to the emergency room? Am I just being nostalgic about emergency rooms?

Cell phones have created a more harried life, too. Think about how many calls you get, and think about the content of some of them. I am not talking about spam calls. I am talking about, " the store is out of one of the 1000 types of potato chips available, which one of the other 999 available types would you like?" Who cares? It is a potato chip.

There is much less available time to be contemplative because of electronic interruptions. Maybe I am just old. Get off my lawn.

Last edited by loco gringo; 12-07-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I agree with you that world is a much more self-absorbed, materialistic place.

However, I argue that those news things are just perception.

In the USA, federal statistics show that all violent crime, per-capita, is at the lowest point in recorded history.

It feels like the world is unsafe and people are killing each other all the time, but the exact opposite is true. So, why does it FEEL that way?

Well, because the news media and sensationalism of the statistically rare stories - we get inundated with stories over and over.

Per-capita, the more murders in the USA happened when folks our age were coming of age and young adults. So, those "glory days" where things were safe and peaceful were statistically the more unsafe times in American history.

It's all in the illusion that is defining how we see the world.
Fear of things real or perceived leads to control by those who say they can protect you.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
It began going south when popular culture began to elevate the good of the individual over the good of the many. And that the MOST important individual was "self".
I think this quote speaks volumes. I am 64 years of age and retired after 31 years as a Police Officer. Up until the last day prior to retirement, I only view the situation as getting worse.I must refrain from speaking that which must not be spoken.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Some years back some people who work in a field I am not allowed to mention found that selling fear keeps them employed. We are now living in the epitome of their skills.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-07-2017, 02:28 PM

I'm not sure if this reply is directly related to the original post here or not. You decide.

I can complain, or I can be thankful. Hard to do both simultaneously, if not impossible. So I have decided to be grateful, and to show my gratitude by the way I act, the words I use, the way I respond to people around me. Sure, I see the stupid in some of them, but then I see the stupid in me, too - a lot more so because I know me better.

Can I make the world a better place by complaining louder? Probably not. That just adds to the problem. Can I make the world a better place by being grateful? Yes, evidently I can, at least my little sphere of influence anyway. I will not bore you with examples, for it might seem like bragging, which I'm not, and I'm sure you can think of your own.

I cannot change yesterday, but I have a shot at making today better for myself and others that I come into contact with. If I do that well, it will affect tomorrow. I am grateful for that opportunity.

cotten
Old 12-07-2017, 02:41 PM

“We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge;

Quantity is being confused with abundance, and wealth with happiness...

We are monkeys with money and guns.”

― Tom Waits
Old 12-07-2017, 02:59 PM

It always amazes me that these "what's wrong with the world" discussions usually reveal more about the posters than the world at large.

The world is the world but you choose how you're going to live in it.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:04 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The world is the world but you choose how you're going to live in it.
And you face lots of consequences if you "choose" improperly - Thus my comment about not really being free.

For example, if you choose not to pay your taxes

Anyone who doesn't think our lives have become more chaotic, no matter how much you try to avoid or talk yourself out of it, must not be paying too much attention.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
And you face lots of consequences if you "choose" improperly - Thus my comment about not really being free.

For example, if you choose not to pay your taxes

Anyone who doesn't think our lives have become more chaotic, no matter how much you try to avoid or talk yourself out of it, must not be paying too much attention.
In my experience, chaos is a self inflicted wound.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:43 PM

Things are different, that's all. Some things are better now and some are worse. I personally think that most things are better now than in the past.

I'm fairly sure, someone that was 67 when your were 25, said the exact same thing about the world. Most people don't like change and when things change, they perceive this as bad.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-07-2017, 03:58 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
In my experience, chaos is a self inflicted wound.
So how would you describe my current situation - fighting with DHHS, banks, lawyers and everyone else to try and get my Dad covered for his nursing home stay at 7800.00 a month while the above named agencies are making mistake after mistake and causing incredible inconveniences while I'm trying to take care of both parents. Is this a wound I inflicted on myself?

Old 12-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd100 View Post
...and then delivery folks leave packages at your doorstep without ringing the door bell... Ooops, sorry, wrong thread...
This is not an issue where I live and I have no doorbell . Knock please if you must .
Old 12-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
So how would you describe my current situation - fighting with DHHS, banks, lawyers and everyone else to try and get my Dad covered for his nursing home stay at 7800.00 a month while the above named agencies are making mistake after mistake and causing incredible inconveniences while I'm trying to take care of both parents. Is this a wound I inflicted on myself?
Doesn't sound like chaos. Sounds like a difficult, time consuming task circumstances force you to deal with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic