The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-11-2017, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Belated NGD - Baranik 00m

Here’s my long overdue NGD report.

This is Mike Baranik’s 00m model, built in 2012 with a Carpathian spruce top over higuerilla back and sides. I purchased it at The American Music Company in Brighton, UK in March 2015. At the time Trevor had three 00ms in the shop, so I had the chance to play and compare the same model in various wood combinations. I also tried out some great guitars by other builders in the same price range, including a Brondel and a maple Circa that I would have loved to take home as well. Choosing one guitar out of such a field wasn’t easy, but this Baranik’s combination of easy playability, clarity and depth of tone and adjustable neck were just some of the points that won me over. Additionally, since I’ve owned and loved one of Mike Baranik’s Retreux Parlor guitars since 2013, I felt like I was investing in a known quantity.

I’ll start with some general comments on how the guitar feels and sounds, before discussing its woods and construction. I’ll finish with the back story for those who are interested in more details about my experience with both Mike Baranik and Trevor Noyle at TAMCO.

Mike’s take on the traditional 00 body size is elastic, to say the least. Measuring a full 15 inches across the lower bout, the body has greater volume than most others in its class. The box has an offset waist, however, which makes it more comfortable to play sitting down than any other 00 I’ve ever handled. The 24.5-inch scale length puts it in more traditional 00 territory, but Mike has again strayed from convention with the 00m’s cantilevered 13-fret neck, allowing greater upper-fret access while keeping the bridge in the sweet spot. The guitar as a whole is lightweight and balances equally well on lap or strap. Mike Baranik’s 00m is an extremely comfy guitar whose big sound belies its compact feel.

And what a sound! Like the Retreux Parlor I love so much, this 00m has a clear voice that responds to variations in playing technique with lively musicality. Mike’s guitars certainly have a “modern” orientation, by which I mean an airy quality to the notes and the way they are articulated, as opposed to the browner, rootsier sound one associates with certain vintage small-bodied guitars. Unlike many modern sounding guitars, however, this one strikes a lovely balance between a note’s fundamental and its upper harmonics. More importantly, the crossover between the two is very organic. I’ve had lesser guitars where the transition from fundamental to harmonics develops too quickly, or is too strong, or only kicks in intermittently, or always sounds the same, with the resonant frequencies narrowing the sound to the same spectrum. This 00m displays none of those shortcomings. The sonic envelope and timbre track subtle changes in attack with an immediacy that is most satisfying. The ample sustain and bloom are never congested with harmonic overload. The guitar performs with equal aplomb across all styles in my repertoire (a little bit of everything) and all techniques (flatpick, fingerstyle, strumming, tapping, you name it).

The woods used on this guitar are very eye-catching, albeit less so than on some other Baraniks out there. The Carpathian spruce top is more even-grained and lighter in color than on my Retreux Parlor and has no run-out. The higuerilla back and sides are truly lovely to behold. While some people refer to this timber as sacha rosewood, this species (Micandra spruceana) is not part of the Dalbergia genus. The mahogany neck is stained a reddish hue to match the back and sides, further testimony to Mike’s ability to create a seamless aesthetic down to the tiniest details.

I’m not enough of an expert to attribute the sonic characteristics of this guitar to the back and side woods in isolation from everything else. Both my Baraniks have the same type of spruce top, but given the differences in size, it’s impossible for me to say how much of a difference in tone between the koa Parlor and the higuerilla 00m is due to the different properties of those timbers. However, over the past fifteen years I’ve had several guitars with rosewood back and sides (a Taylor, a Furch and two Goodalls, including a Goodall Grand Concert, which was about the same size as this 00m). By comparison with the Goodall, this guitar has a drier, more direct tone, less cavernous bass, greater dimension with less congestion in the midrange and sweeter trebles. Sometimes I miss the deep growl I used to get from the Goodalls, especially the GC, which had mind-blowing low-end depth for its size. What this guitar lacks in the rumbly-in-the-tumbly department is more than offset by its superior blend of clarity and woodiness, attributes it shares with its little sister.

The cantilevered neck design offered on this guitar is the same as that on Mike’s flagship Meridian model. On this model, though, it is not countersunk into the body of the guitar, and as such, it offers more than the ability to adjust the neck angle on the fly (via the hex bolt in the strap button), which is already a fantastic feature. The neck also floats above the soundboard by about half an inch, making it so easy to pluck and strum the strings with the picking hand way up over the upper frets that I’ve naturally explored nuances that on another guitar would be hard to come by in such a user-friendly manner. In terms of timbre, it's like moving from an electric guitar with only one pickup at the bridge to one with several pickups, including a neck pickup around the 13th fret! In that forward position, I can even rest my right pinky (tsk, tsk!) on the scoop cutaway for added ease and comfort. This bevelled design offers greater upper fret access than a non-cutaway body style, but less than a full cutaway would. On many guitars with this feature, I find the result visually unappealing. To my eye Mike’s scoop cutaway is consonant with his general sense of visual design: fresh and exciting, but with a timeless elegance.

The guitar also has a sound port on the upper bout, like the Retreux Parlor, and I can tell you that this feature greatly enhances the playing experience. The tone you hear as a player is much closer to the tone the audience hears out front, and it envelops you in a captivating way, making it easy to forget about the passage of time as you make all kinds of beautiful music!

I would like to conclude by mentioning the after sales service I received from TAMCO and Mike Baranik.

Not long after I brought the guitar home, I noticed that there were gaps between the fingerboard and some of the frets. I contacted Mike about this, and he told me that the problem was probably due to the fact that the guitar had been sitting in Trevor’s shop for about three years. I guess no matter how careful a retailer is with the instruments he has hanging on the wall, after a certain amount of time, with all the changes in temperature and humidity that occur, these types of issues may arise. Mike was prompt in reaching out to a luthier friend in southern France to help me find a reputable repairman in Paris. I took the guitar there, and Mike reimbursed me for the repairs.

A couple of months later, Trevor informed me that he had sent one of the other Baraniks he had in stock back to Mike due to some tiny pimple-like bumps on the finish on the guitar. I had noticed the same thing on my guitar, so I got in touch with Mike. He told me that this weird chemical reaction between the pore filler and the finish had occurred with several instruments he’d built around the same time, and that he would refinish the guitar at no cost to me, except for shipping. I hesitated for a long time because I was a bit daunted by the complications and potential hazards of shipping a very expensive guitar halfway round the world for a repair that was merely cosmetic. But when Trevor told me that if I could get the guitar to him in the UK, he would handle the shipping, including the cost, as part of his after sales service policy, I realized that it would be foolish to turn down such a generous offer. I found a way to get the guitar to TAMCO, and later on that year I took advantage of a business trip to London to swing down to Brighton to pick it up. Needless to say, the new finish is flawless. Moreover, Mike did the frets all over again because he felt that the work done by the repairman in Paris was shoddy. The whole process took several months, but I didn’t mind, especially since I had the Retreux Parlor to keep me happy in the meantime. My guitar came back perfectly set up with a flawless finish, looking and playing even better than when I bought it. Many thanks to Mike and Trevor for all their assistance!

And now, some pictures of the 00m with her little sister.

1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider

Last edited by Deft Tungsman; 12-12-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new instrument...

I have played a few of these at luthier exhibitions and enjoyed them very much. I had no idea that they were 15" guitars. Perhaps Mike should consider renaming them "000m"...
Old 12-11-2017, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Yes, it's hard to believe that the lower bout is that wide when the guitar is sitting on your lap. Mike's asymmetrical, forward-shifted waist design puts your right forearm in a very comfortable spot. I can play for hours without any pain in my shoulder or trapezius muscle.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-11-2017, 08:50 AM

Man I'm not really into steel strings anymore but that is one sweet guitar - functional and beautiful. Love to hear how it sounds.

I see lots of guitar playing in your future. Congrats!

TK
Old 12-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Thanks for sharing the whole story with us - I enjoyed it very much. Gorgeous instrument(s)!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Mike’s guitars are top notch, and your description of his 00m sounds familiar to me. I think I’ve played 3 or 4 of them over the years. Congratulations on that fantastic looking instrument!

Yeah, Mike will do pretty much anything required to make his customers happy. But he won’t cash in the buy one get one free Baranik coupon I bought on eBay. Sheesh.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:32 AM

Very nice DT, glad you posted.

I am torn between the 00m and something a bit smaller for a new Baranik and you have avoided that dilemma by having one of each!

Sticking your neck out tonewise....would you say the higuerilla is similar to a rosewood in tone, or more in the koa/walnut or mahogany space?

Col
Old 12-12-2017, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Very nice DT, glad you posted.

I am torn between the 00m and something a bit smaller for a new Baranik and you have avoided that dilemma by having one of each!

Sticking your neck out tonewise....would you say the higuerilla is similar to a rosewood in tone, or more in the koa/walnut or mahogany space?

Col

Hey, Colin, always glad to scratch your Baranik itch.

For what it’s worth, to my ear higuerilla sounds quite similar to koa. My old Larrivée Parlor had koa back and sides, as does my Retreux, and there’s definitely a family resemblance to the timbre. The only mahogany guitar I’ve ever had a chance to get to know well was my first acoustic ever, an all-hog Gibson B-15, which sounded a lot darker than my 00m. Usual caveats apply, of course.

Didn’t you almost go for a koa 00m a few years back? I remember seeing a picture of you (I think it was you) playing that guitar at Mike’s shop. Between the 00 and Parlor sizes, he also has the PX. Have you ever tried one of those? I haven’t, they’re extremely rare. Mike’s work is very consistent, as far as I can tell. The 00m takes the wonderful sound of the Retreux and gives the low end more room to develop. The Parlor offers less bass but more immediacy. I love them both.

These two guitars have the same scale length, which I think has a defining impact on how they sound and respond. The only longer-scale Baranik I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing was a Meridian at The North American Guitar shop in London last year. It reminded me of what I’ve been missing since I got rid of the Goodalls, Taylor, etc. Since I can’t afford to have three of Mike’s instruments, if a trade for a Meridian came up, I’d swap the 00m and keep the Retreux as my small format picker because of the immediacy I mentioned earlier. If I were going to commission a new guitar from Mike, I might also go for a 25.25” - 25.5” scale length on a PX or 00 size.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Between the 00 and Parlor sizes, he also has the PX. Have you ever tried one of those? I haven’t, they’re extremely rare..
DT,
I also am the proud owner of both an 00M and a Retreux parlor. I know what you mean when you say the parlor brings something special to the party, in particular truly ringing trebles. My 00m gives me everything else I want. It is a great combination of guitars to own.

Also, I have played a PX and it was extraordinarily loud and full. I really liked it.

The main point for me is that in a situation where I can play lots of builders guitars, my ear always brings me back to Baranik. It is what I want to hear in a guitar.

Steve
Old 12-12-2017, 01:48 PM

WOW that seems like a stressful situation. I am so glad that the instrument is back to your hands and you love it. Congrats on your find!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Hey, Colin, always glad to scratch your Baranik itch.

For what it’s worth, to my ear higuerilla sounds quite similar to koa. My old Larrivée Parlor had koa back and sides, as does my Retreux, and there’s definitely a family resemblance to the timbre. The only mahogany guitar I’ve ever had a chance to get to know well was my first acoustic ever, an all-hog Gibson B-15, which sounded a lot darker than my 00m. Usual caveats apply, of course.

Didn’t you almost go for a koa 00m a few years back? I remember seeing a picture of you (I think it was you) playing that guitar at Mike’s shop. Between the 00 and Parlor sizes, he also has the PX. Have you ever tried one of those? I haven’t, they’re extremely rare. Mike’s work is very consistent, as far as I can tell. The 00m takes the wonderful sound of the Retreux and gives the low end more room to develop. The Parlor offers less bass but more immediacy. I love them both.

These two guitars have the same scale length, which I think has a defining impact on how they sound and respond. The only longer-scale Baranik I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing was a Meridian at The North American Guitar shop in London last year. It reminded me of what I’ve been missing since I got rid of the Goodalls, Taylor, etc. Since I can’t afford to have three of Mike’s instruments, if a trade for a Meridian came up, I’d swap the 00m and keep the Retreux as my small format picker because of the immediacy I mentioned earlier. If I were going to commission a new guitar from Mike, I might also go for a 25.25” - 25.5” scale length on a PX or 00 size.
Yes that was me, enjoying the koa OOm. It is a really fine guitar. But, when I was in the US earlier this year I had the pleasure of playing Al’s PXd…a PX with a slightly deeper body and rosewood B&S. What a beauty! I am really swaying towards a PXd, in part due to the appeal of a slightly smaller body size than the 00m. I call this dilemma GCS - Guitar Confusion Syndrome.

Woodwise I am thinking rosewood. I love my walnut CX and my Tas blackwood guitar, but I have a hankering for the particular deep warmth of rosewood at present.

Really glad you are enjoying both of yours.

Col
Old 12-13-2017, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

The PXd sounds like a great all-rounder. It has a 25.5" scale length, correct?

I didn't know that Al has one. How many Baraniks does he own, anyway? His 00m is quite a looker, for sure. Have you had the chance to play it?

Ah, the lovely echo of a rosewood body ! I say go for it. Make sure you share some pics and thoughts whenever you get the chance.

Cheers
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post
WOW that seems like a stressful situation. I am so glad that the instrument is back to your hands and you love it. Congrats on your find!
Thanks for your concern, but actually the whole experience was stress-free. It just took longer that I thought it might. However, from the outset I made it clear that I was not in a hurry, and that Mike should take his time to give my guitar the TLC it deserves. I am grateful to Mike and Trevor both for their stellar service.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-18-2017, 11:29 PM
*mahoganut*

Nice review, DT - thanks!

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop