The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
If you don't just use the nail and instead use the whole tip of the finger naturally (instead of turning your wrist to use only the nail) you can flail away with both up and down strokes. It may feel weird and awkward at first (and hurt the sensitive skin), but if you can get past that part you will be amazed at how well it works and how good it sounds--with volume. I keep my wrist loose when doing this and can get very aggressive as needed.

I keep my nails clipped close as well.
Thanks Duke. I had to sit down and play to figure out that I do something similar. I can strum up downs quickly but I the down stroke has more of a pick like sound - crisper. The upstroke is from the fingertip so loses some of that oomph. I tried the thumbnail on the upstroke - that would take a lot of practice....feels weird.

Dan
Old 12-14-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
The only downside for me is it works great on the downstroke not so much on an upstroke.
I found that with just a little bit of index fingernail, and holding the thumb against index like you were holding an actual flatpick, the up and down strokes can sound and feel the same. Which seems surprising to me, since the index fingernail is curved, and should favor a downward stroke.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I found that with just a little bit of index fingernail, and holding the thumb against index like you were holding an actual flatpick, the up and down strokes can sound and feel the same. Which seems surprising to me, since the index fingernail is curved, and should favor a downward stroke.
If, as you say, you're holding your thumb against the index finger (as with a pick) is it possible that it's actually your thumbnail you're using on the upstroke?

That's how I do it - only I use my middle finger, supporting it with my thumb as if I was holding a pick. Then the thumbnail hits the strings on the upstroke.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 12-14-2017, 03:18 PM

I started something similar not so long ago, using finger back strokes to emulate bluegrass flatpicking, inspired by Tony Rice. When trying (that being the operative word) to do melody, I use my middle finger for the back stroke, for basic finger brushes I use index and middle.

I've tried leading with a finger downstroke, ala clawhammer banjo, as mentioned by Swamp Yankee, but without success.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
If, as you say, you're holding your thumb against the index finger (as with a pick) is it possible that it's actually your thumbnail you're using on the upstroke?
No, my thumbnail points up a bit.

Someone on this forum has a byline that goes something like:
If you don't play in your style, who will?

Amazing that there are so many different individual styles.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Guest 1511

I'm not the speediest player and I use my index fingernail as a flatpick. It won't work for every song, such as when one needs 16th notes on up and down strokes; in those cases I just have to get out the pick. Otherwise I'm much happier using my fingers. I was that kid who never wore shoes either except in winter.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:28 PM

Default fingerflatpick

And you don't have to worry about the pick falling into the soundhole. If it did, then you'd have a REAL problem.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 PM

I play in this fashion as well. I'm a relatively new player but never have been able to feel comfortable with a pick. I play fingerstyle mostly and do some strumming and flatpicking and do all of that with native digits. It feels much more tactile and natural to me. I haven't at all mastered flatpicking in this regard but I get by well enough.

I do think that a pick would allow for a much greater variety and precision with regard to flat picking specifically and I hope that someday I can learn to do that.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I usually do some variation of Travis picking with bare fingers on most songs. Somewhere along the line, I started using my index fingernail as a flatpick. Obviously you're not going to get up to bluegrass speed this way, but when I wanted more volume on a few notes, or a different rhythm/syncopation, it seemed to fit.

Anyone else pick up this habit? Haven't seen any players do it. I suppose there's a reason for that.
Quite often.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
I usually do some variation of Travis picking with bare fingers on most songs. Somewhere along the line, I started using my index fingernail as a flatpick. Obviously you're not going to get up to bluegrass speed this way, but when I wanted more volume on a few notes, or a different rhythm/syncopation, it seemed to fit.

Anyone else pick up this habit? Haven't seen any players do it. I suppose there's a reason for that.
I don't use any pick anymore. I only use this exact same technic you describe for everything... and I get the same speed as a regular pick anyway. The sound is just different from a pick. I strum with it as well. Once you get the hang of it it's the best technic ever !

I didn't know anyone else was using this technic of mine... interesting !

Avalon Custom Auditorium Fan Fret Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
Furch 34 SR Stahl (custom) - Sitka/EIR
Classical Hanika 58CF - Alpine/Cocobolo
Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
Alvarez MSD1 - Cedar/Mahogany
Breedlove C25 - Cedar/Mahogany
K-Country 1975 - Sitka/Mahogany
upcoming :
Michaud Made OM-R - ARW/ Swiss "moon"
Astrand A-OM - MRW - Euro Bearclaw
Old 12-15-2017, 04:56 AM

I use the index finger for picking quite a bit. I actually take advantage of the sound on a couple of my songs. A few months ago for some reason it kept splitting. I cut it down to the nub and when it was growing out it split again. It was pretty frustrating. I've been thinking about that nail hardener some of you all use.

I also use picks but waiting for it to grow was like waiting for Christmas
Old 12-15-2017, 06:02 AM

Nope, tried this once but my nail wore down real quick and got painful. No problem playing fingerstyle though where you're mainly playing up strokes.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:21 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yup. I do both this and playing with a pick, depending on the situation. When I'm going back and forth between finger plucked and flatpick I''ll often just go without the pick, especially if I don't have a need for a whole lot o' speed. There are also some single string sounds you can't get without using the fingertips on the right.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-15-2017, 06:26 AM

I had very... very thin and feeble nails... Tried accrylic nails and stuff... Wasn't good and such a pain to make ... I read a comment here of someone trying out food supplement for nails and that it worked great.

Thanks to this person I tried thinking.... well... I'don't believe in it but at least I can give it a try...

Guess what ? Best result and solution ever. Have now strong enough nails to plays in fingerstyle and they never break or split anymore !

Avalon Custom Auditorium Fan Fret Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
Furch 34 SR Stahl (custom) - Sitka/EIR
Classical Hanika 58CF - Alpine/Cocobolo
Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
Alvarez MSD1 - Cedar/Mahogany
Breedlove C25 - Cedar/Mahogany
K-Country 1975 - Sitka/Mahogany
upcoming :
Michaud Made OM-R - ARW/ Swiss "moon"
Astrand A-OM - MRW - Euro Bearclaw

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion