The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-22-2014, 01:43 PM

Default Feedback before I update my website

I've been neglecting my web site for too long and it's time for an overhaul. Before I get underway, I'd appreciate hearing what players like to see in a builder's site. Any and all ideas are welcome and I have a few specific questions too.

How do you like to view photos? Slideshow style or thumbnails that enlarge as separate images? Links to any examples of photo formatting that you love or hate would be appreciated.

Contact and other basic info needs to be viewable on small devices but I'm assuming people making serious inquiries are going to look at the site on a full sized screen at some point. Is that a valid assumption?

I'm not a big fan of sites with a lot of bells and whistles but I'm trying to be open-minded. Any examples of special features that people love or hate?

For navigation, do you prefer to see the full list of all pages on the site or do you prefer fewer headings with drop-down menus?

My current order form has a lot of info about wood and other options in text that pops up when you mouse over each option. My thinking was that it keeps the page clean but you can get more info as needed. Would you rather see text-heavy sections done like that or with all text visible on the page.

Again, no need to limit comments to those specific questions.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Guest 213

Honestly, Kent, I think your website is great the way it is. Very informative and easy to navigate. The only stylistic quibble I can think of would be the black text on the dark brown background on the Price page.

I really like the way you have descriptions of all the different options as you roll over them with the cursor.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:04 PM

Default What's important to me

1. Picture(s) of instrument along with description
2. Sound clips: It's nice when it is the same tune(s) for every guitar to make side by side comparisons easier and eliminate playing variables.
3. A price please (not "call for more information"): I was raised that "if you've got to ask, you probably can't afford it" and "If there is no price listed, it's probably really expensive." #'s 1 and 2 do me no good without a price, however, and if one isn't listed, I probably won't call.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 09-22-2014, 02:04 PM

Nice site... don't know what I would change.
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 09-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
1. Picture(s) of instrument along with description
2. Sound clips: It's nice when it is the same tune(s) for every guitar to make side by side comparisons easier and eliminate playing variables.
3. A price please (not "call for more information"): I was raised that "if you've got to ask, you probably can't afford it" and "If there is no price listed, it's probably really expensive." #'s 1 and 2 do me no good without a price, however, and if one isn't listed, I probably won't call.

John
He's got pictures and prices there already...
Old 09-22-2014, 02:19 PM

Hi Kent,

Your current site isn't bad at all. The overall theme is quite tasteful.

I'd like to see larger photos, more photos of the guitars, more photos of the luthier...

I'd also like to see photos grouped by theme (either by model or by option, e.g. rosettes, headstocks, etc.).

You definitely do not want a new window to open every time people click on a photo -- that is rather distracting.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:43 PM

I may be geeky, but I always want to know the measurements--especially in non-dreads. How deep, wide, etc.

Also, with high-end acoustics I assume it comes with a good case but maybe it's worth saying what the case will be.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 09-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Hi Kent,

Your current site isn't bad at all. The overall theme is quite tasteful.

I'd like to see larger photos, more photos of the guitars, more photos of the luthier...

I'd also like to see photos grouped by theme (either by model or by option, e.g. rosettes, headstocks, etc.).

You definitely do not want a new window to open every time people click on a photo -- that is rather distracting.
+1! Very nice site.....I like Mau's suggestion of pics by theme. Also, with the really nice photos you do have, I'd like to see what the wood combos are that are used in those guitars. I easily gravitate to all that stuff!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 09-22-2014, 02:46 PM

Other than some sound files I think it is fine.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 PM

It's a nice site.
And I agree with Printer: you need audio files for each of your models. Well recorded and played by someone skilled in the style of who the model is appealing to.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Smile website

Kent,

I like your website as it is. It is professional and looks better than most luthier websites.

My only suggestion would be to add more photos of completed guitars.

John
Old 09-22-2014, 03:20 PM

I like the overall design as it is. I'd say add a page for each of your standard models, with measurements, and sound clips/photos (grouped together) for several individual guitars of that model. But don't remove anything from the "guitars" page as it is... the two clickable photos and short description are much better than some web sites that make you go to the specific model's page before you can find out anything but the name. Just make the name of each model into a link to its detailed page.

I love the mouse-over popups on the price page.

As for how to display photos, slideshows are ok as long as they don't advance automatically (at least not by default), but I don't mind basic thumbnail links to .jpg files either. But turn off the "open in new window" option that you currently have. On a simple web site like yours, clicking a photo and then clicking "back" in your browser doesn't have any negative consequences, as it often does on fancier sites, so there's no need for new windows.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:27 PM

Default Site update

I agree with everyone else. It is a good site, maybe you could tweak the background color a little, but overall I like it.

It seems like an informative site more than a sales site. If you are trying to help get more sales (enough open spots in your schedule, or you want to grow your company some) I would target the person that isn't ready for a sale a little better. Maybe find a better/more prominent spot for the newsletter and update it. That way someone can get information about you without committing to starting the ordering process.

Also if you have guitars that are already built maybe you could post those with prices, and maybe discount them compared to a custom build. I would show that under guitars, not under your links section. I checked dream guitars link, and they only had one 2007 that was sold listed. I couldn't find anything on the Mandolin Brothers link.

Also it would be neat to have a video shop tour with you somewhere on your site. Maybe you could pay a college student in Film to help you put something together again, for people that want to learn more about the product without committing to buying something.

I like the first paragraph of the bio, but I think it would work better on the home page than the current text. It does a good job of introducing you and your product.

It's a great site overall, not sure that I would do anything drastic.

If you do a full site update it could get pricey quickly. Before you start I would say make sure that you know what the goal is. Is it to market to people that are on the fence? Do you have capacity for more sales, or is your schedule filling up already (if so then maybe it's time to hire help, or raise the price).

I hope all the rambling helps. If you are looking to build a site and want advice on what tools to use let me know and I can post some recommendations. I was helping our company do a website overhaul recently, work in IT, and have done some of the research.

Dave
Old 09-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

i agree with you Kent that the site does need updating....I'd definitely expand the gallery to include more recent builds and examples of detail. I'd also try to capture some of the build process that's so much fun to follow on here....Regards!
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 09-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
He's got pictures and prices there already...
Sorry,

didn't look at site and answered it as if it wasn't already developed. Sorry Kent.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop