The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-01-2016, 02:42 AM

Default SY FY channel to tackle SIASL - Disaster in the making?

http://collider.com/stranger-in-a-st...v-series-syfy/

There are some books in which the main action takes place in the protagonist's head. That is really hard to successfully translate into a movie. That is one of the main reasons why Dune the movie was a failure and also a reason why the tortured PTSD that is the heart of the book The Legend Of Bagger Vance did not come through in the movie.

I wish the SY FY channel luck with Stranger but I'm not expecting much. You could hit every note of the theme and yet miss vibrato and tone so easily!
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma

Last edited by Rondoraymundo; 12-01-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:15 AM

Similarly, "Enders Game" (which I finally watched over the summer) did not translate well. As you said, there is too much going on in the protagonist's head and the need to develop the viewer's perspective was unrealized.

However, one film that did achieve this for me was "Reds". The story is about John Reed, a journalist who covered the Russian revolution. Like many, he went to Russia hoping to capture and chronicle the idealism that the Communists seemed to promise. By the end of the film, Reed (and the viewer) realize that the names have changed, but the players haven't - the old structures remain in place. I love a story that takes you on a journey of discovery along with the main character. There aren't many like that. SISL is one of those stories.

Well, I wish syfy luck.

Rick
Old 12-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm not sure I'll waste time grokking that.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-01-2016, 08:00 PM

I'd vote for Morgan Freeman casted as the supremely cynical, curmudgeonly Jubal Harshaw!

Maybe Kevin Spacey as the top politician whose name escapes me at the moment.

Not sure about the other roles.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:44 AM

Considering what happened when Hollywood made a movie of 'Starship Troopers', I'm shuddering!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-07-2016, 08:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to SF visualizations, but I've been burned by SYFY a couple times now. While I think it's usually what the reader brings to it that makes the inner voice of the character come alive, I do think people watch tv differently than read books. We're too distracted for a host of reasons.

In today's political climate and obsession with AI, I wonder why The Moon is a Harsh Mistress wasn't the first choice.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 12-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I had a good laugh watching Galaxy Quest last night.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 12-07-2016, 08:56 AM

Sometimes it's not the what, it's the who.

SIASL from Netflix or HBO? Might be very interesting. From the folks who brought you Sharknado 4 "The Fourth Awakens"? Meh.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post

In today's political climate and obsession with AI, I wonder why The Moon is a Harsh Mistress wasn't the first choice.
I think it was a personal decision. When the president of Paramount says the novel "resonated with her since college" you get a very important vote at the top.

The role of Michale Valentine Smith is going to be crucial. It requires someone of Eddie Redmayne' s ability but without his price tag as I'm sure there will budget constraints.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma

Last edited by Rondoraymundo; 12-07-2016 at 10:11 AM. Reason: A concession to the acronym challenged.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:59 AM

H

Last edited by harmonics101; 12-07-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Sometimes it's not the what, it's the who.

SIASL from Netflix or HBO? Might be very interesting. From the folks who brought you Sharknado 4 "The Fourth Awakens"? Meh.
Even more so than you think.

SyFy isn't really like Netflix, HBO or Starz; there is SyFy Productions that produces terrible B movies, but they are owned by Universal, which itself is owned by Comcast and Univeral Production Company has done some very good things for SyFy. Then, to make it even more complicated, there are a slew of independent affiliated production companies that produce content for Syfy.

That is how the network that made Battlestar Galactica (2004), Childhood's End, and two pretty good Dune miniseries also made Jersey Shore Shark Attack, 3 Megashark movies, 2 PumpkinHead movies, and the Sharknado "franchise."
Old 12-07-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Even more so than you think.

SyFy isn't really like Netflix, HBO or Starz; there is SyFy Productions that produces terrible B movies, but they are owned by Universal, which itself is owned by Comcast and Univeral Production Company has done some very good things for SyFy. Then, to make it even more complicated, there are a slew of independent affiliated production companies that produce content for Syfy.

That is how the network that made Battlestar Galactica (2004), Childhood's End, and two pretty good Dune miniseries also made Jersey Shore Shark Attack, 3 Megashark movies, 2 PumpkinHead movies, and the Sharknado "franchise."
Let's not forget Firefly as well...

I didn't know all that! Kind of like how Newsweek contracted out the "Madame President" and "President Trump" commemorative issues for release after the election. If you are to believe the editors, they didn't even read them. Just paid a third party to produce a consumable product.

We live in interesting times for sure when it comes to media.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:36 AM

I wrote off SyFy years ago because they preferred to have Rasslin' on instead of higher budget science fiction series. To me they literally jumped the shark with their movie "Sharknado" - the first one, not the sequels.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic