The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-20-2016, 10:06 AM
Guest 928

Default CF Electrics

I've noticed that when forum members list their guitars there are often a number of electric guitars mentioned, but only rarely do we see a carbon fiber electric guitar.

CF electrics do exist. CA made one and I know that there's an Israeli maker with a number of cool CF electrics. But the big three (Blackbird, Emerald & Rainsong) do not offer an electric guitar (not counting acoustic/electric instruments).

One explanation has been that the electric market is flooded with inexpensive guitars and a CF instrument could not compete economically. That explanation may be wrong. The same explanation could be offered for acoustic guitars and yet the CF acoustic guitar market is thriving.

And so, the question is, what kind of CF electric would members of this forum be interested in and how much would we be willing to pay? The various CF makers pay attention to this forum so we might be able to offer those makers a glimpse into a potential market.

My favorite electric guitar was the Danelectro, a hollow, thin-bodied, inexpensive, great sounding, easy playing instrument. I would like one in carbon fiber. Furthermore, since this is my dream, I would like a nylon string version with a 1 7/8 nut width. Maybe a woody for some flash?

I suspect that what I want would not have much of a market. But what CF electric would appeal to the players on this forum?
Old 11-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

I think the need is less for the electric market. One of the biggest selling points for CF acoustics is the ability to be impervious to humidity conditions, which seems to be less of a factor with electrics.

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Anticipation Junkie

You've both made some valid observations. I think the CA blade hit some marks because of its overall look, thinness and light weight. As was the case with the Cargo which CA seemed to offer at a price point sort of as a 'loss leader' to promote their other guitars (to their demise), the Blade was also likely sold too cheaply (not sure). I agree that there is so much competition and some very good electrics at low cost, the higher cost to competitively produce CF electrics is likely the deterrent for builders. Most importantly imo, with solid body electrics, tone is more derived from the pickups and the downstream signal chain to the amp. High cost CF may not add much in that regard. Of course, never having played one, I don't not really know. I'm a Strat guy (owned a vintage '58 from '76 until '02), but only rarely play my '57 RI, so any CF electric would have to hit some of the design cues from the Strat. Likely, I'd still never buy one.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
I think the need is less for the electric market. One of the biggest selling points for CF acoustics is the ability to be impervious to humidity conditions, which seems to be less of a factor with electrics.
^^This^^ is spot on, there just doesn't seem to be a "need" for a CF electric. Need aside, I do own a CA Blade, and an ES175 style archtop could be fun.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Guest 928

The relative durability of electric guitars and their low cost do make it difficult for CF to compete. However, there is something to be said for "what the heck, let's do it." Also, an electric cf instrument might become more cost effective by taking a hit from the Klos--with wooden neck and fretboard.

For example, my hollow, thin-bodied, Danelectro-like cf nylon string guitar, could have a bolt on wooden neck and fret board. I could live with that and the price would be much lower. Diminishment of price would also occur with the smaller body(less material). If Klos can sell an acoustic cf guitar with a wooden neck and fret board for $500 then it seems like an electric could be produced for even less.

Let's see a little more enthusiasm here! Does anyone here have the web site for the Israeli CF guitar maker? Maybe some pictures of the CA electric? It might be the case that a CF body would be more conducive to electric sound and the styling and aesthetics might be a breath of fresh gas.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:38 PM

Can't speak for others, but I am not a fan of partial CF guitars, so a CF electric with a wood neck would not give me a case of GAS.

Here is my CA Blade. It's all CF with a hollow body.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

That's a really nice looking guitar, Ted. I recall in a thread a while ago, someone had posted a pic of a copper colored one. It was incredible looking. Was it yours?
Old 11-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Ted...that is indeed a slick looking guitar.!

Todd in Chicago

Old 11-20-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
That's a really nice looking guitar, Ted. I recall in a thread a while ago, someone had posted a pic of a copper colored one. It was incredible looking. Was it yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Ted...that is indeed a slick looking guitar.!

Todd in Chicago

Thanks guys, and yes, Tom, the orange one was mine as well. Back in 2010 I bought out the CA booth at winter NAMM, and it included that prototype. Here it is:

Old 11-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Yep, real purdy! Thanks for posting it, again. You bought out the booth...too bad you couldn't buy the company!
Old 11-20-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
....Back in 2010 I bought out the CA booth at winter NAMM, and it included that prototype.....
I was at that show, and spent considerable time at the CA booth. I remember the Blade.

I experienced the Cargo RAW in Hawaii the previous February while at Aloha Music Camp, and had become interested in CA overall. But then a few weeks later the entire company folded up.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I just bought a used Blade and my 1957 Les Paul and mid 80s American Strat are going to feel very neglected and will probably be for sale.

I think Peavey is nuts for not reintroducing these guitars. I can't be the only one who appreciates clear access to the upper frets, great sustain, amazing action, not having to condition fret boards, nitro finishes, regular set ups...
Old 11-21-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Can't speak for others, but I am not a fan of partial CF guitars, so a CF electric with a wood neck would not give me a case of GAS.
I largely agree with that view point. However, I owned a Rainsong PMJ-1000 for about a dozen years. They were wood neck and fret board, laminated wood body, and CF weave top. And a truss rod, for those who are concerned about that. The idea was to bring in something at a lower price point than all-CF, but it never really caught on in the market.

I had zero problems with it over the years, and it made it through many dry Alaskan winters and a few hot Idaho summers without any humidity care at all - always hung on the wall. That PMJ now lives with a friend in Tucson who wanted something that did not require a lot of humidity care in the desert climate, and she loves it.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:38 AM
Guest 928

I prefer an all CF guitar. But if I had to compromise it would be with the neck/fretboard. With a bolt on neck a maker could offer wooden or CF necks and a player could start with wood and make a later change to CF. A bolt on CF neck might also appeal to players with wooden instruments.

In any event, I think that CF might change and perhaps enhance electric sound.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:27 AM

I bought and returned an original Blade with the screwed on back. It was damaged in shipping; one of the screws that held the outer cloth to the hard bag was pushed into the guitar. I recall that it was not much later that the original CA company went bankrupt.

In any case, for that version Blade, it was to heavy and thin to be played comfortably seated or standing.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-22-2016 at 08:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber