The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-12-2016, 08:27 AM

Default NHL 2016-2017 Thread

The NHL kicks off the new season tonight. What teams / players are you watching this season?

Go Bruins and Penguins!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Anticipation Junkie

NHL opening night tonight...my former, lifelong favorite team, the Leafs, play against my new favorite team, the Sens. I still wish the Leafs well, but Go Sens Go!!!

If do hope Sid gets back to the Pens soon.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:00 AM

**whispers** go oilers.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:16 AM

Well of course I'll be following my Pens in their quest to repeat as Cup Champions, and hoping that Sid will recover soon from his concussion and have a healthy, productive year.

I'll be following the team down the road from me, The Lightning, pretty closely this year. I'll be Looking for Stamkos to have a great season leading that very talented team.

I'm also very interested in following the adventures of Connor McDavid with the Oilers. McDavid is a rare talent but the Oilers have a recent history of failing to fully develop their young players. I'm hoping for better for McDavid and the Oilers.

Best of luck and good health to everyone's favorite teams and players!

Time to drop the puck!!!!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-12-2016, 12:35 PM

Yeah, I'm hoping Sid doesn't go the way of Eric Lindros. Conversely, with regards to the Pens I hope Gene (Malkin) has a stellar year and can step up like he has in the past in Sid's absence and that the Fleury and Murray debate is laid to rest.

Go Pens!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:37 PM

I'll continue to pull for my Capitals but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed AGAIN.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:50 PM

Default Boston

Go Bruins!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
NHL opening night tonight...my former, lifelong favorite team, the Leafs, play against my new favorite team, the Sens. I still wish the Leafs well, but Go Sens Go!!!

If do hope Sid gets back to the Pens soon.
Wow, Toronto rookie Auston Matthews scores all 4 goals in the Leafs 5-4 overtime loss to the Sens. Most ever for a rookie in their first NHL game. I'm glad for my Sens win, but that kid seems to be another phenom! Maybe, finally things will look up for the Leafs and their fans.

Edit: Added text in bold.

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-13-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Wow, Toronto rookie Auston Matthews scores all 4 goals in the Leafs 5-4 overtime loss to the Sens. Most ever for a rookie. I'm glad for my Sens win, but that kid seems to be another phenom! Maybe, finally things will look up for the Leafs and their fans.
It appears Auston Matthews has set a new standard for the term "Auspicious Debut" with regard to the NHL. What a terrific performance!! He's now officially on my must watch list.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-13-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Wow, Toronto rookie Auston Matthews scores all 4 goals in the Leafs 5-4 overtime loss to the Sens. Most ever for a rookie in their first NHL game. I'm glad for my Sens win, but that kid seems to be another phenom! Maybe, finally things will look up for the Leafs and their fans.

Edit: Added text in bold.
Matthews had an amazing game. Wow, 4 goals.

McDavid had a great night too, 2 goals and an assist.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
**whispers** go oilers.
LOL. I forgot that Lucic is with the team now. He'll bring some toughness and hopefully leadership to the team.

There's a trend over the past 10 years to name 18 and 19 year old prodigies as captains (Crosby, Toews, McDavid). Even though it's an honor I think the "C" is better off going to a guy with more experience.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:58 AM

Great start to the Pens season! Raised the Cup banner and beat the Caps in a shootout 3-2. Terrific game by both teams with a little of everything any hockey fan could want. The only thing missing was Sid, but he looked good skating with the Cup before the home crowd and had a big smile on his face. Hope he'll be back soon. Only 81 games before the playoffs start

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-14-2016, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

My former boss (really good guy) is really close friends with Linde Ruff. I found it hugely ironic that after the Sabres fired him he went to Dallas where my boss has his second home. So my boss just moved his season tickets from behind the Sabres bench to behind the Stars bench I think.

Anyway, my son will be watching his Pens and I''ll be hoping the Sabres can again try to rebuild without Linde (whose firing was ridiculous and stupid).

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-14-2016, 05:10 AM

I was hoping the Sabers would be good then Eichel gets hurt and out for weeks. Doh! Toronto being good is good for hockey and Mathews is on pace for a 332 Goal season. Montreal and Edmonton look good enough on paper for a playoff run. Which is good for Canada fans.
That's 5 "goods" in a single paragraph. Should be enough to get a thread started.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 10-14-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Go Bruins!
Marchand is continuing his World Cup efforts into this season; 5 points and +5 !!! Pastrnack was +6, which is unheard of in today's NHL. I watched the first period and I thought Boston was done being behind 2-0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Great start to the Pens season! Raised the Cup banner and beat the Caps in a shootout 3-2. Terrific game by both teams with a little of everything any hockey fan could want. The only thing missing was Sid, but he looked good skating with the Cup before the home crowd and had a big smile on his face. Hope he'll be back soon. Only 81 games before the playoffs start
81 more games!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic