The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Incoming... (CF content)

I haven't had a GAS attack in a couple years. I like the guitars I have. Oh, I have been kicking around the idea of a smaller carbon fiber guitar; not that the Shorty is huge.

I have been considering an Emerald X7. I've signed up for their "Road Trip," when they're ready for that - great premise for a company that doesn't have dealers anymore.

But, it wasn't a "hot" situation. Then, they posted that cocobolo veneer X20 on Facebook... I almost wet myself. I contacted Sean at Emerald to see if they could do an X7 with the cocobolo veneer... yep.

The downside (for me) of that situation is: there is a 4 month lead time for that. I have committed for another boat job, starting in June. It will last 'till September. If I ordered a guitar right now, it would probably be done about the time I'd be wrapping up, then we plan to do some land traveling. The thought of a guitar being ready, and me without an address to ship it to?? Nope, that doesn't work for me.

I told Sean that I was originally thinking an Opus Series, until I saw that cocobolo. I saw they had two of them (X7 OS) on their eBay store - and both sold right away. He mentioned they have an X7 OS with a pickup, ready to go, right now. Ohhhh... it could be shipped tomorrow, and there would be no wait for the build. If the Irish and American Postal Systems play nice, it could arrive in a week or so. That alone could be worth the price of admission. Sold!

Over the past month or so, I have PMed a couple of the CF participants here who have an X7, trying to determine the neck feel. Watched plenty of videos, trying to get a feel for the size and sound. Sean at Emerald has patiently answered my questions. I know I like smaller guitars these days. And carbon fiber. The scale of the X7 will fall right between the GSmini and the Shorty/522ce. I really like the idea of the beveled arm rest.

So, now I wait. But, not for long. Hopefully.

Jim
Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 PM

I could take a picture of my new X7 next to my Shorty if that would help make the wait even more difficult?

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I haven't had a GAS attack in a couple years. I like the guitars I have. Oh, I have been kicking around the idea of a smaller carbon fiber guitar; not that the Shorty is huge.

I have been considering an Emerald X7. I've signed up for their "Road Trip," when they're ready for that - great premise for a company that doesn't have dealers anymore.

But, it wasn't a "hot" situation. Then, they posted that cocobolo veneer X20 on Facebook... I almost wet myself. I contacted Sean at Emerald to see if they could do an X7 with the cocobolo veneer... yep.

The downside (for me) of that situation is: there is a 4 month lead time for that. I have committed for another boat job, starting in June. It will last 'till September. If I ordered a guitar right now, it would probably be done about the time I'd be wrapping up, then we plan to do some land traveling. The thought of a guitar being ready, and me without an address to ship it to?? Nope, that doesn't work for me.

I told Sean that I was originally thinking an Opus Series, until I saw that cocobolo. I saw they had two of them (X7 OS) on their eBay store - and both sold right away. He mentioned they have an X7 OS with a pickup, ready to go, right now. Ohhhh... it could be shipped tomorrow, and there would be no wait for the build. If the Irish and American Postal Systems play nice, it could arrive in a week or so. That alone could be worth the price of admission. Sold!

Over the past month or so, I have PMed a couple of the CF participants here who have an X7, trying to determine the neck feel. Watched plenty of videos, trying to get a feel for the size and sound. Sean at Emerald has patiently answered my questions. I know I like smaller guitars these days. And carbon fiber. The scale of the X7 will fall right between the GSmini and the Shorty/522ce. I really like the idea of the beveled arm rest.

So, now I wait. But, not for long. Hopefully.

Jim
Oh I've got an X7 Opus GAS attack brewing.......Specifically looking for something CF-indestructible between my GC7 and GS Mini

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 05-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I could take a picture of my new X7 next to my Shorty if that would help make the wait even more difficult?

That right there is funny. Cruel, but funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Oh I've got an X7 Opus GAS attack brewing.......Specifically looking for something CF-indestructible between my GC7 and GS Mini
I was a math major in college. 24" scale (X7) is pretty much between 24.875" (Grand Concert) and 23.5" (GSmini).

These days, I am finding my 24.875" scale and smaller guitars are the most comfortable for me. I am thinking the X7 is going to fit in nicely.

And with the Shorty, I already appreciate what carbon fiber brings - in sound and convenience.

Jim
Old 05-04-2016, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

I've also been looking really hard at one of the 7's.

AZ, post us a picture please of your 7 and Shortie, as I'm looking at one of the Al P Rainsong Shorties as well(what started all this). I like the look, tone and shape of the 7 a lot.

d
Old 05-05-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I haven't had a GAS attack in a couple years. I like the guitars I have. ..... now I wait. But, not for long. Hopefully.
So none of us is safe from GAS? I thought you would be pretty well set there Jim.
Of course I am the guy jonesing for a Lucky 13 that I certainly don't need.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
So none of us is safe from GAS? I thought you would be pretty well set there Jim.
Of course I am the guy jonesing for a Lucky 13 that I certainly don't need.
Yeah, I have been quite content with what I have. Interesting (well, for me, anyway), I have spent more time recently with my T5. So comfortable. It made me give more thought to an ergonomic smaller acoustic. Yeah, that is what I am expecting the x7 to be. And then Sean posted that cocobolo veneer x20. That lead to an exchange with Sean. And...

It has been shipped. Not sure how the tracking will play out as it moves from the Irish Postal System to the US. With past guitar purchases being shipped, I have entertained myself following the package on its route. I haven't found the USPS tracking to be as "fun" as UPS or FedEx.

I don't consider that a side effect of GAS - it is a fun way to study geography!

"Need"? You have to make that call yourself. I am fortunate - the Blonde said, "You can't wait for the fancy wood one? Then, get it."

"Fancy wood one"?? It's carbon fiber.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

AZ, post us a picture please of your 7 and Shortie
Getting the right exposure with one shiny guitar (X7) and one matte finish (Shorty) is harder than you would think.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Getting the right exposure with one shiny guitar (X7) and one matte finish (Shorty) is harder than you would think.

thanks AZ

that helps a lot.
just too many nice ones to choose from(lol).

I know this is apples and grapes, but tell us the differences of what you think of the two, I know there are a couple of us going back and forth between a Shortie size/X7/RS Parlor.

I like how the X7 looks, and I like the wider string spacing at the saddle.
Hows, the neck profile of the 7 feel to you-compared to the Shortie?

thank you again
d
Old 05-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
thanks AZ

that helps a lot.
just too many nice ones to choose from(lol).

I know this is apples and grapes, but tell us the differences of what you think of the two, I know there are a couple of us going back and forth between a Shortie size/X7/RS Parlor.

I like how the X7 looks, and I like the wider string spacing at the saddle.

thank you again
d
Actually, that does help. Made me smile. We were car shopping today, and that was not pleasant. Came home with the same vehicle and feeling like I needed to take a shower. All guitar content is soothing right now.

In another week or so, I'll (hopefully) have some hands-on experience with the differences... especially with the neck shapes. So, if you want to offer your experience with that, I'd appreciate the perspective, too.

For Daryl, I have plenty of playing time with the Shorty. Like it a lot. I've played a half dozen Parlors, both 12 and 14 fret. Like them, too. OK, that probably wasn't any help at all. The take away from this: there isn't a bad choice.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
thanks AZ

thank you again
d
Fuller. "chunkier?" The Rainsong is more of a low oval and the Emerald more of a "C" shape. The X7 is a lot fuller than my Larrivee Parlor (also 24" scale) but not "pokey" like a V neck.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Well, I'm anxious to try the Emerald neck. AZLiberty, you are the first I've seen describe the X7 neck as thicker than the N2 (or NS) on the RainSong.

I've been following the shipping progress (I love tracking) - the guitar is now in the US. No idea if I'll have tracking from this point.

Cue the music... "Anticipation... anticipa-ay-shun... is makin' me late... is keepin' me waiting."
Old 05-09-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm anxious to try the Emerald neck. AZLiberty, you are the first I've seen describe the X7 neck as thicker than the N2 (or NS) on the RainSong.

I've been following the shipping progress (I love tracking) - the guitar is now in the US. No idea if I'll have tracking from this point.

Cue the music... "Anticipation... anticipa-ay-shun... is makin' me late... is keepin' me waiting."
Hi Jim,

Glad you are finding the tracking helpful! I can imagine the anticipation is building ;-)

Sean
Old 05-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi Jim,

Glad you are finding the tracking helpful! I can imagine the anticipation is building ;-)

Sean
'Tis, indeed, Sean. Thanks again for you help and patience. Any idea if the An tracking continues once the package is in the USPS system? Does it go Priority Mail in the US?

Not like I'm anxious or anything.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 05-09-2016, 07:41 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
'Tis, indeed, Sean. Thanks again for you help and patience. Any idea if the An tracking continues once the package is in the USPS system? Does it go Priority Mail in the US?

Not like I'm anxious or anything.

Best wishes,
Jim
Jim, I was recently able to track a shipment I made to Emerald from SW Florida via USPS and was able to track it all the way through the systems. I would assume the reverse is also true.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber