The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2014, 11:24 AM

Default Jumping on the Seagull bandwagon...

So this guy who works at one of my local guitar shops contacted me yesterday asking if I was interested in buying his Seagull S6 that he's selling for money towards something else, he offered me a good deal of only $300 and he bought it brand new only two months ago. He put in ebony bridge pins, conditioned the fretboard with every change of strings, adjusted the neck perfectly, humidified it perfectly, added a strap button, and he's offering to put new strings on it just before I pick it up tomorrow. He also is giving me 3 sets of new strings and a tuner as well so it sounds like a really good deal.

We were talking about it over text for awhile and he like swears by this guitar, said that there were about 3 or 4 other models of it in the store and this one was just special. He seems pretty gutted to be getting rid of it but doesn't play acoustics as much as he used to, but he says it's the best acoustic he's ever played--even compared to the best Martin and Taylor models that have ever been made. He explained that it had something to do with the fact that this S6 was made in the La Patrie workshop (which apparently makes the best guitars Godin makes) and that Martins and Taylors are made "sweatshop style" which causes lots of build quality issues.

What do you guys think? I did play the S6 in Guitar Center but the one in the store had old strings and the action was bad, but I still preferred it over those $1500 Martins and Taylors.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I like the S6 a lot, although I need the slim version. I think it's probably the best guitar they make. I don't think I would go so far as to say it's better than Martins or Taylors that cost several times as much, but I don't really think that's a factor.

It is a fine guitar… lots of Seagull fans here. And it sounds like a pretty good deal. If you play it and like it, grab it.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 PM

I have a Seagull S6 and it's a really fine guitar. I've had it since the late '90s and probably gets played more than any of my other guitars electric or acoustic.

Sounds good, plays good and is inexpensive enough to leave out on the stand where it's easy to get to.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Seagull makes fine guitars. Play it and see if you like it. That's the real test. Check the saddle height (not too low). Sight down the neck to see if it's twisted. Also check the neck angle: put a 24" straightedge on the frets and slide it toward the bridge. It should touch the very top of the bridge or clear the bridge. Any lower and there might be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-v View Post
He explained that it had something to do with the fact that this S6 was made in the La Patrie workshop (which apparently makes the best guitars Godin makes) and that Martins and Taylors are made "sweatshop style" which causes lots of build quality issues.
This is hooey. Martins and Taylors are not made "sweatshop style". All three are made in modern factories by skilled workers. I think you are getting a lot of sales talk here - the reasons he's selling it also seem like he's talking it up. Because of this kind of talk, I am less inclined to trust the seller and I would make sure that the guitar is really in good shape and you like it before you buy it.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:42 PM

Cool Seagulls are great!

The S6 is an amazing guitar IMHO. I am of the school that the Yamaha FG730S is slightly better than the Seagull, but both are just great for the money. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Also, the previous poster was correct. The word "sweatshop" should not be used in ANY context to describe the Martin or Taylor factories. That is total bull.
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 07-21-2014, 12:48 PM

I owned an S6 and liked it. I also own a Martin (HD28VS) and love it. I'd say the Martin is in a whole different league. That being said, an S6 is a fine guitar and it sounds like you're getting a good one in good shape at a good price. Go for it.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

The S6 is a nice guitar! Generally, around here, they tend to sell used in the $250 to $270 range if they have a case. I have seen them go for as low as $200. Still sounds like not a bad deal with the strings and setup.

Todd
Old 07-21-2014, 01:41 PM

Sam, for $300 I would say that's a good deal. If you play it and like it, buy it. That particular Seagull model is one of the best-sounding ones the company makes, in my opinion.

The one thing I'd recommend is that you discontinue his little ritual of "conditioning" the fingerboard with every string change. Slathering oil or other kinds of goop on the fretboard isn't necessary, and if overdone can eventually cause problems with the fretboard adhering to the neck.

It doesn't sound as though he's had the guitar long enough to cause any real problems yet, but it's not a habit you want to get into. The lightest kiss of oil on a clean cloth about once a year is as much any guitar fretboard needs, and it sounds as though he's already taken care of it for the next few years.

But the price is pretty good. Does that include a case?

I do want to say that his comments that Martins and Taylors are made in "sweatshop" conditions are completely incorrect, and completely out of line. It's a sign of a poor salesman that he feels the need to run down those firms, and please tell him I said that. If he truly believes that, he's got his head stuffed pretty firmly up his posterior.

That alone gives me pause about his overall veracity.

But once or twice I've bought used guitars from people I thought were jerks. On those occasions the guitars were worth putting up with the person selling them long enough to finish the transaction.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

seems like with all the hogwash you were fed about martin and taylor, the good information about the extremely respectable Seagull guitar becomes suspect.

He could just be ignorant I suppose, but it would make me more inclined to question why he needs to engage in such BS to make the Seagull seem like the obvious choice. There are a bunch of good reasons the Seagull might be the right choice, including that their quality is really second to none for the price.

but in terms of credibility and making the sale, I think your seller may have just snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...
Old 07-21-2014, 01:46 PM

All three brands mentioned are mass-produced guitars made assembly-line style. Godin makes guitars in a number of factories in Quebec and one in New England, and I've never heard that one factory is better than another.

It sounds like this guy at the guitar store wants to unload a guitar he's not happy with. Why doesn't he just put it on eBay for a week?

Also, if you want an S6 (which are cool guitars), you can buy a new one for $400 (probably less if you contact a dealer directly and ask for their price, not their advertised price)--and that extra $100 includes a lifetime warranty.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:46 PM

The S6 is a quality guitar, but it is not nicer than Martin,Taylor etc.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I'd gladly hop on the bandwagon, providing it makes a stop in Nazareth, PA so I can get off.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 07-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-v View Post
So this guy who works at one of my local guitar shops contacted me yesterday asking if I was interested in buying his Seagull S6 that he's selling for money towards something else, he offered me a good deal of only $300 and he bought it brand new only two months ago. He put in ebony bridge pins, conditioned the fretboard with every change of strings, adjusted the neck perfectly, humidified it perfectly, added a strap button, and he's offering to put new strings on it just before I pick it up tomorrow. He also is giving me 3 sets of new strings and a tuner as well so it sounds like a really good deal.

We were talking about it over text for awhile and he like swears by this guitar, said that there were about 3 or 4 other models of it in the store and this one was just special. He seems pretty gutted to be getting rid of it but doesn't play acoustics as much as he used to, but he says it's the best acoustic he's ever played--even compared to the best Martin and Taylor models that have ever been made. He explained that it had something to do with the fact that this S6 was made in the La Patrie workshop (which apparently makes the best guitars Godin makes) and that Martins and Taylors are made "sweatshop style" which causes lots of build quality issues.

What do you guys think? I did play the S6 in Guitar Center but the one in the store had old strings and the action was bad, but I still preferred it over those $1500 Martins and Taylors.
I would ignore the fact the he swears by it and that he put ebony bridge pins on it, adjusted it, etc. The pins are cosmetic for the most part and you need to swear by it when you play it. A tuner and 3 new packs of strings wouldn't sway me either. All the other stuff about Martin and Taylor is a guy trying to make a sale and as others have pointed out that kind of turns me off a bit.

The S6 is $419 new at Guitar Center with a full warranty and 30 day return policy. GC is always having 15 % off sales as well.

I love Seagulls but make sure you play the S6 first, some people, like me, find the neck a little chunky and prefer the S6 slim or Entourage line.

Good luck.

Rob
Old 07-21-2014, 02:05 PM

Unhappy

I would proceed with caution. This is probably not a bad deal, but it's not a steal, either. The S6 sells new for slightly over $400 without subtracting any discounts, and a new one comes with a lifetime warranty. This seller is really talking it up (complete with some false claims), so beware. I have owned Seagulls, and they are good guitars but better than the best Martin or Taylor ever made??? In a word, no! And sweatshops? Not hardly. Conditioned the fretboard after every change of strings? He's only owned it two months and he doesn't play acoustics much, so how many times was that? Made in the LaPatrie workshop where the best Godins are made? So is my Simon & Patrick that I just bought like new for $200 with a hard shell case, and my Art & Lutherie that I bought like new for $129. This S6 is special compared to other S6 guitars? One thing about Seagulls is their consistency. If you like the guitar, buy it. But do it with your eyes wide open, because this guy has set off quite a few red flags with his sales pitch.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
But do it with your eyes wide open, because this guy has set off quite a few red flags with his sales pitch.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think you should buy any Seagull guitars you decide to get from somebody else.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion