The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-07-2016, 05:47 PM

Default Anybody have a smartphone through Tracfone?

I am thinking of switching from my Verizon dumbphone to a Tracfone smartphone.
I am woefully ignorant on if this will be a good deal.
I currently pay Verizon $50.00/month for mostly a paperweight but the coverage and reception are fantastic.
Thanks for all answers!
Old 12-07-2016, 07:29 PM

I have a Tracfone smartphone which I use for work. Currently, the phone I purchased from the Tracfone site has these attributes:

Whether you purchase a plan or use the store-purchased card, the minutes, texts and data usage triple. The unused minutes, texts and data carry over to the next three-month period.

The network the phone uses (Tracfone uses other carrier's towers) makes a big deal towards reception. Verizon in my area picks up very well, ATT just so-so.

If you plan on surfing a great deal, then StraightTalk or T-Mobile might be a better idea. ST gives you 5GB of data per $45, 30-day cycle. T-Mobile, I'm not so sure. You can get data cards for Tracfone, but I don't believe they triple like the calling cards.

Overall, Tracfone is great for those who aren't power users of smartphones.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
I am thinking of switching from my Verizon dumbphone to a Tracfone smartphone.
I am woefully ignorant on if this will be a good deal.
I currently pay Verizon $50.00/month for mostly a paperweight but the coverage and reception are fantastic.
Thanks for all answers!
You better look at coverage maps incl "4G" if you have Verizon and appreciate the coverage and reception. I'm not going to say don't get something else as much as remind that Verizon often works best for a lot if not most of the US.

If you have a first tier phone now and have high expectations you might want to stick with one if you change. The iPhone or Pixel models might not be available if you don't go with a first tier provider.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
The network the phone uses (Tracfone uses other carrier's towers) makes a big deal towards reception. Verizon in my area picks up very well, ATT just so-so.
So I would choose a Tracfone smartphone that uses the Verizon network towers?
How would I know which phone does this?
Old 12-08-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
If you have a first tier phone now and have high expectations you might want to stick with one if you change. The iPhone or Pixel models might not be available if you don't go with a first tier provider.
I think I understand your reply?
I currently pay Verizon $50.00/month for a seven year old flip dumbphone.
I am maybe basement tier now?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:10 AM

we had $veri$on$, and finally switched- we looked at tracfone, some friends had it but wastnt the cheapest and you dont really have brick and mortar support, some super deals on T mobile now, id look into them, we ended up with metro pcs- not the best web reviews but we took a chance- actually we think its good, unlimited everything for $30 month plus your phone is free, i think t mobile own it, so check out these two lines, i wouldnt worry about coverage, thats becoming a thing of the past
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 12-08-2016, 07:12 AM

RW:

Not necessarily. In your area ATT may give better reception. A general rule for TF and ST is that 4G LTE is ATT and 3G is Verizon. These rules are just generalizations. The phones not marked 4G are generally Verizon (their model number usually has a "V" in small print at the bottom corner of the box. AT phones will usually have an "A").

Tracfone now offers high - end phones from Samsung, LG and Apple.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I think I understand your reply?
I currently pay Verizon $50.00/month for a seven year old flip dumbphone.
I am maybe basement tier now?
Maybe not.

Technology is so competitive that you get what you pay for is usually true.

A first tier phone is a flaship model from absolute leader such as an Apple iPHone or Google Pixel. Samsung is a good hardware maker but their phones can vary by carrier.

If you have an aging flip phone you're very likely not getting what many choose to pay for with a Verizon account - the LTE or "4G" network.

In some cases I see older phones are more and more having issues because they don't use the latest or most capable protocols.

A more capable phone might not interest you but I will find some surprises. My octogenarian mother pays about the same but has an iPhone on Verizon. It's been amazing for the hospice work she does, helps her independence and safety as much as others, and she's taken to the power it has from apps.

We've rethought communications and capable phones are really my kids' computers.

I end up helping a lot of people with cel phones because we have 650+ employees and they ask for help or used them for payroll and schedules. I'm always finding people very pleased or very unhappy. Less middle ground than other areas. Tracfone is one where quite a few are not happy or have expectations that are too high. Much better for people with minimal expectations.

The points on your location are important. While Verizon is overall known as best or one of the best they can have areas with less than ideal coverage. One associate just got the company he claims to hate because he has to do a 6 month work project where that company has best coverage.

If you have an old flip phone look at a new one like my mother did - completely open mind. It's become her newspapers, travel aid, video chat with grandkids, and a tool that has been great for her hospice patients. No Candy Crush or twitter but she's known for sending a text or several.

Please understand my bias toward the most reliable stuff. You don't always have to spend that way but most I deal with want quality or want it when they find it's too late.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:29 AM

Old 12-08-2016, 10:37 AM

My wife has tracfone while I have at&t gophone (pay as you go). My wife pays $20 every three months while I pay $25 every three months. Generally, their coverage is about the same (In our experience) but every once in a while we will find that one gets coverage while the other does not.

Those prices assume you don't use the phone much. Occasionally I go over the limit and get hit for another $25, but not often. I never use data. If that is your situation then it will be much cheaper. You might be able to use your own phone with either of those services, but then again you might not.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:52 PM

I switched to Tracfone several years ago. I'm not a big talker on the phone, but use it when needed. Here's what I do with Tracfone. Since it costs $100.00 a year for service time which includes 400 minutes, when the year is nearly up, I start checking QVC and HSN for a special on a Tracfone. They always have one. For about the same $100. you get a new, hopefully better, phone. Newer Android version, better camera, features, etc. In addition you get the year's service time AND 1350 minutes, 1350 texts, and 1350 mb of data. And they roll over. So I've accumulated over 6000 minutes, etc. I generally use WiFi to access the internet but occasionally use data if there's no connection available. Oh, and any minutes you may need to buy will triple, so 400 minutes = 1200.

Activating the new phone has been easy and I maintain my old number. I always do it online. Only once did I have to call and they took care of it quickly.

For me it woks out to about $8.00 a month. If you talk a LOT and have to buy minutes, then it becomes more expensive, but I never have to buy more.

Most of the smartphones seem to use Verizon and their coverage here is as good as any. I've never had problems with Tracfone coverage, except in places like the Adirondack Mountains that have no service.

Frankly I can't understand why anyone would shell out $700. for a phone and have to pay for a contract yet besides.

Jim
Old 12-08-2016, 09:02 PM

I was just forced to update to a Tracfone 4G model . Tracfone is going all 4G after the first of the year . My old phone was very basic and it may be possible that 3G will be compatible . Mine wasn't . I simply let them send me another phone at their discretion . My new ones is reconditioned . I am satisfied with the service , but I am still quite analog tending .
Old 12-09-2016, 12:07 AM

We had a Tracfone for the office to call out on so the "incoming" line was always available. They provided us with the worst customer service possible. No matter what the issue, the answer received was "sorry, we can't help you". If you are moving around, traveling, on the go especially across the country and/or away from the most popular interstates in the country - stay with Verizon because they do have the best coverage. If you're in the city and don't travel your coverage will likely be the same regardless of carrier.

We ditched the Tracfone and replaced it with a very nice Criket smartphone that cost us $30 and the monthly plan with unlimited text, calling and long distance is $35 per month if auto-paid with a credit card. Forty per month if pay as you go. Remember we don't take it out of the building so we don't need Verizon coverage for this phone. It is wonderful. We still have Verizon for the on-the-go cellular because.................. we travel and want the best coverage.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:05 AM

Thanks for all the replies...
I am normally not technologically stupid.
I used to be what some would consider a computer geek and I still do related work.
I just dropped out of the cell phone wars years and years ago.
All I want is Google and GPS for when I am lost and maybe email while away from home.
And mp3 would be nice.
You will never see me ignoring the world and staring at my hand.
Anyway, last Christmas was a new guitar, this year will be my first smartphone.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies...
I am normally not technologically stupid.
I used to be what some would consider a computer geek and I still do related work.
I just dropped out of the cell phone wars years and years ago.
All I want is Google and GPS for when I am lost and maybe email while away from home.
And mp3 would be nice.
You will never see me ignoring the world and staring at my hand.
Anyway, last Christmas was a new guitar, this year will be my first smartphone.
Playing music will be universal, Google apps and maps will work well on any decent phone, but "when I'm lost" could be a strong reason for first tier network and phone. I understand the all I want is Google but I also see people happier when they have it in a form that works well.

There are maps apps that keep the data off line and a Google ability to have maps off line. They can help or work when there's no coverage.

Don't forget the top networks have pay as you go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic