The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-06-2016, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

I don't have a very big or elaborate setup but I built a custom train shelf around the ceiling of my small den/guitar-room. This runs my childhood Lionel train

I keep meaning to theme it for the holidays but haven't yet

And of course, I have this car now

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 12-06-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:32 PM

Default Thanks for sharing

I've been collecting Lionel Trains since the early 1950s. Been years since I set anything up. Half my collection is mint, in box never run condition. Ebay sure cut the value of the pieces. That and as boomers check out there is less and less demand for trains. I would like a Lionel Martin flat, though.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Cool setups. I love the video. Choo-choo!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Man that's just great!!

Especially loved the trolley and the ice skaters! Brings back memories of my youth when my folks would take me and my brother to Buhl Planetarium to see their holiday train exhibit. Nice job and thanks for sharing!
Funny you should mention that. That display moved to the Carnegie Science Center in downtown Pittsburgh in 1992. It's an amazing setup. Not just the trains but the whole layout is awe inspiring with the mountains and rivers and day/night lighting. There are lots of landmarks from the area recreated there.

http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org...ture-railroad/
Old 12-07-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geichel View Post
Ebay sure cut the value of the pieces. That and as boomers check out there is less and less demand for trains.
Agreed.

Glad I never collected my Lionels as an investment. Eventually they'll be considered worthless junk and will have zero value. And that's sad because they are so beautifully made and have always been a big part of my life.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Funny you should mention that. That display moved to the Carnegie Science Center in downtown Pittsburgh in 1992. It's an amazing setup. Not just the trains but the whole layout is awe inspiring with the mountains and rivers and day/night lighting. There are lots of landmarks from the area recreated there.

http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org...ture-railroad/
Cool! I had no idea that tradition had continued on. Maybe one day I'll make it back up to Pittsburgh during the holidays and go to the CSC for some delightful nostalgia.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-07-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Cool! I had no idea that tradition had continued on. Maybe one day I'll make it back up to Pittsburgh during the holidays and go to the CSC for some delightful nostalgia.
I'd recommend it, but he warned: the CSC is targeted toward kids - especially the 4th floor. The train display is on the 3rd floor - as is the planetarium amphitheater. Just thought you'd like to know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic