The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-06-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well see it's like this mannnn.......... humans are like the epitome of inconsistency, an undulating ever changing cloud of pastel colored lights flashing intermittently in a cosmos of dimensional flux between the real the imagined and the vortex ......................................oh wait what were you sayin'

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 12-06-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
If whiskey is legal then there isn't much footing to stand on to argue that pot shouldn't be legal.
I've been around drunks and stoners. The drunks tend to be loud and violent...the stoners are much more mellow.
One of the big problems is with DUIs. There is no legal limit of THC defined in the law, and no good way to test someone driving high for levels without sending off blood or urine.

Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 12-06-2016, 03:00 PM

I always wonder about the THC levels and when they actually screen for that, they probably already screen for it, so from a procedural perspective, that's no change. The big change is when that THC level comes back positive in those few cases, which is just a blip and will be insignificant,

H
Old 12-06-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57classic View Post
I hope I don't cross any lines with this but, to me, in a free society, the question should not be whether to "legalize something" everything is legal until it is made illegal. And in a free society the burden should be on those who want to make something illegal to show why society is better off.
As far as I can tell, the only reason marijuana is illegal now is because it has been for 80 years. There was no legitimate case made then, and little has changed since to justify making a PLANT illegal.
I don't know about that. Seems like a well reasoned and thoughtful case to me.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
One of the big problems is with DUIs. There is no legal limit of THC defined in the law, and no good way to test someone driving high for levels without sending off blood or urine.
Since mere possession has been illegal heretofore, THC level has probably been a moot point. I have confidence in the scientific community to develop and market an instrument that would measure THC level as well as define levels as to what might constitute being in control or not....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I saw Reefer Madness about 40 years ago (stoned of course), and got a kick out of it, but only recently learned that that movie was the government's entire documentary evidence that led to banning pot. And apparently that "evidence" still hasn't been refuted. Far out.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Since mere possession has been illegal heretofore, THC level has probably been a moot point. I have confidence in the scientific community to develop and market an instrument that would measure THC level as well as define levels as to what might constitute being in control or not....
Another aspect of this is the effect of pot, consumed in combination with alcohol or other drugs. Pot can significantly enhance the effect of whatever else youre taking. Er--so I've heard...
Old 12-06-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Well they probably will, but they haven't yet. So, anyone involved in a collision, especially one with injuries, with levels of THC in his/her blood, is driving under the influence. And those cases where someone is pulled over for driving impaired, they will have to wait until tests come back from the lab. There's no denying this is problematic, according to this article fatalities involving marijuana doubled in Washington when they legalized it....

http://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/05/fata...egalizes-drug/

Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 12-06-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57classic View Post
I hope I don't cross any lines with this but, to me, in a free society, the question should not be whether to "legalize something" everything is legal until it is made illegal. And in a free society the burden should be on those who want to make something illegal to show why society is better off.
As far as I can tell, the only reason marijuana is illegal now is because it has been for 80 years. There was no legitimate case made then, and little has changed since to justify making a PLANT illegal.
In agreement with this. That's why I'd prefer to see it decriminalized rather than legalized. Keep the 'legal' money machine (taxing vultures) away from it. But that ain't gonna happen.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I have known a fair amount of people that have smoked pot all their lives. They are in their 50s, 60s, and 70s now. Not a one of them has had a health problem because of pot. Cigarettes and booze have had much more of an impact. I know one guy that had to quit drinking because of liver problems. He told his doc he wasn't quitting pot. He's a lot better now.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Last edited by Mr. Jelly; 12-09-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Then again, an 18 year old man can own a company, can vote and can get sent off to war
Before 1968, that person could also have a FFL........but no beer.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
Before 1968, that person could also have a FFL........but no beer.
I should hope not. Beer n gubs man ,,, not cool.

Before anyone picks me upon my typo yu should kno that I've got a gub and I'm not afraid to use it.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:21 AM

The constabulary can, and do test on the side of the road for THC in your system. They only have to wait to see how much is in your system. Random drug testing occurs with the same frequency of random breath testing. I do believe that there is enough causal evidence to show that cannaboids can have medicinal value and should be further investigated.

A friend's son tried his first joint at 12 and it sent him off into a psychotic state from which he has never recovered, so cannabis is not totally harmless. I'm not claiming that it is any worse than tobacco or alcohol, but I am claiming that there are effects that, in some cases may be permanent.

Personally, banning something outright only drives it underground. Prohibition worked, didn't it? Yeah! Right! Tobacco, Cannabis and Alcohol should all be tightly regulated and only sold by suitably licensed premises with severe restrictions on who, how, and when. And POLICED properly of course.

Down here we have pubs crying poor owing to strict drink driving laws, many have installed pokies (another hot topic) to attempt to stay afloat. Personally, I'd recommend that tobacco sales should be relegated to licensed premises only and removed from supermarket et. al. shelves.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:24 AM

Haha ! I think it may actually be Aussie for gaming machines, so slots, not sluts.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-07-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:31 PM

There aways has been some and will be some who can't control urges, their tingly parts or their tingly feelings and stuff that causes or helps that. Same for criminal networks. I'd rather have the money out of criminal networks knowing we'll always have those individuals who make bad choices and have control problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic