The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Very nice-looking work that has resulted in better tone. Well Done!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-05-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Uh - yes, I already did it. I would NEVER think of pulling anything like that. Thanks for the vote of confidence in my integrity. If you had checked my classified before you posted you would have seen that I linked directly to this post.

As for me being able to tell you if the next buyer will do that, well, that's a little out of my control.

And no, no warranty - have you ever had a warranty on a used guitar??

The state that the braces are in now (if you had read my original post) is that I still can't see the top move when I put 10-12 lbs of pressure straight down on the bridge. I'd be very surprised if the changes I made have any negative effect on the structure of this instrument if it's taken care of properly.
Look, the problem is that over-shaved bracing takes time to fail, which you would know if you had read the entirety of MY post. Slow failure, not sudden collapse. But if it happens at all it will probably be years from now. So it will be someone else's problem. Even if it is the next buyer who has a problem in 3 years. Caveat emptor.

Interesting that this guitar that you were so enamored of is being sold already. Something NOT in your OP, by the way. And no, I do not always read every post in a thread.

Integrity is a matter of perception.

TW
Old 04-05-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Interesting that this guitar that you were so enamored of is being sold already. Something NOT in your OP, by the way. And no, I do not always read every post in a thread.
Yes, indeed, it works like a warning to all wannabe brace shavers -- once you accomplished it, there is no point to keep it. There are always better instruments around. So, probably, once again I will quit the idea of mod for mass-produced budget guitars. No point.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:21 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Look, the problem is that over-shaved bracing takes time to fail, which you would know if you had read the entirety of MY post. Slow failure, not sudden collapse. But if it happens at all it will probably be years from now. So it will be someone else's problem. Even if it is the next buyer who has a problem in 3 years. Caveat emptor.

Integrity is a matter of perception.

TW
I've known that over shaved braced take time to fail for many years - I didn't need you to educate me on that. That is why I consulted with three different world class builders during this process. I tend to trust their opinions much more than someone like yourself. Your assuming this is going to be a problem for someone down the line - maybe, maybe not.....all I can do is my full diligence in disclosing it now. At the price point (under 700.00) would you rather have a guitar that sounded incredible for 6-7 years before (IF) it imploded, or one that sounded mediocre for the rest of your life?

As far as selling a guitar that I'm enamored with - yes, sometimes we make hard choices, and the classifieds are filled with them. Not sure why this case is so much different to you. This is an instrument that would make any player smile big, but I'm not a rich man and can't have 10 guitars, in fact, I live in 280 sq ft, so just from a space standpoint I can't do that. I'm sorry this doesn't fit your model of the world. Acquiring a Mccollum built from The Tree is something I never would have expected in my lifetime. I'm guessing there's something wrong with that in your eyes too? Maybe you and Catfish would rather I sold my Charis that was a gift from 23 forum members here, or my Mcknight/Poling that I won in a contest and Tim and Mary so generously gave of their time to finish for me? Would that be better?

I came home from a day of "shopping" nursing homes for my father who I've been caregiver for over the last two years to find your ONE negative post in a sea of others that found no need for that. Your need to make it look like I was doing something insidious really made my day - I want to thank you for that. It's things like this that made me leave this forum for an extended period a while back. Might be time again.

Thanks for starting my day today again on a high note - I feel much better now.

Last edited by fitness1; 04-06-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:48 AM

No need to get so emotional and sorry if my remark spoiled your mood.
But it was just the obvious -- you were very proud of what you did, you shared it with us, and suddenly you announced that you are going to sell it. Unusual move, in my opinion, taking into account the time and efforts spent.

Of course, you can sell it, and if you warn the potential sellers that the guitar may change its tone over the time, then it's the buyer's risk, and your behavior is honest.

Cheers up, no need to be in a bad mood!
Old 04-06-2017, 08:12 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
But it was just the obvious -- you were very proud of what you did, you shared it with us, and suddenly you announced that you are going to sell it. Unusual move, in my opinion, taking into account the time and efforts spent.
The guitar was for sale before I did the work, then I pulled it, then relisted it after the work was done when I acquired the Mccollum. Simple as that.

Someone will get a guitar that they will feel like they stole, at my loss (my time)

If you had any idea what I'm living through right now, you'd know why attacks against my character get me emotional.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:29 AM

fitness1, thank you for clarifications regarding decisions to part with Taylor, no attempts to attack your character from my side! My remark was about the situation, it was not personal. Peace. Enjoy your new Mccollum and also the scalloped Taylor before it is sold!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 AM

There's probably not even a need to say this, but anyone who has dealt with Todd over the years will tell you he's a stand-up guy! He's always forthcoming with the details of guitars he is selling.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Sorry about your recent dark days, don't let a few mean spirited posts spoil your faith in humanity.

I've noticed that people (me included) have made improvements to houses, cars, guitars and many other items only to sell or trade them off soon after. In my case It's an attempt to make something fit into my life a little better. ..but then I find it's still not meeting every desire.

Sounds like this is a low end guitar that has been modded to extract it's maximum sound. The OP enjoyed doing it and the next owner will benefit from enhanced sound and uniqueness then move it on to the next guy (or gal).
Old 04-06-2017, 09:41 AM

fitness1 I am truly sorry about your Dad. I never had to deal with the whole nursing home thing with mine, as he died from cancer in his 70s before he reached that stage. (As did my mom, while I was in high school.)

And I am also sorry about my "mean-spirited" attack on your character. I felt that I was just bringing up the unspoken elephant in the room. Everyone else seems to think differently.

And I do mean it.

Mycroft
Old 04-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Musical minimalist

Thanks Mycroft -

I'm generally a really easy going guy, but I'm a little stressed these days. I come here to share and be friendly and have made TONS of friends (online and in person) from my association.

I'm sorry if I overreacted as well, but felt like I had to defend my actions to a certain point.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mycroft -

I'm generally a really easy going guy, but I'm a little stressed these days. I come here to share and be friendly and have made TONS of friends (online and in person) from my association.

I'm sorry if I overreacted as well, but felt like I had to defend my actions to a certain point.
Absolutely understandable. No problem from here either.

One of the faults of forum communication is the lack of verbal and facial cues. The exact same conversation in person can be perceived in a completely different way online. I am as guilty of that at times as anyone.

Best of luck with your father.

Tony
Old 04-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I also spent a good amount of time waxing the top (Meguiars Deep Crystal 2) to reduce the thickness of the finish - with extra emphasis around the bridge area.
Hey Todd...help me understand this. Is this something that works on specific finishes (like Poly that I think Taylor uses)? Ok for Nitro also?

Reason I ask is because I have a nice classical I bought that has a fairly thick poly finish and some fingernail scratches. I had another classical whose top was a disaster, and I shaved the bridge off and refinished it with Royal lac as a project. It came out pretty nice if I do say so...but it was a lot of work.

Wondering if this is a smarter way to go. And...how did you polish right up to the bridge without obvious shadow lines of thicker finish?
Old 04-10-2017, 01:15 AM

wow.. that's a fine work... and tons of patience...
cool
Old 04-10-2017, 05:32 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
Hey Todd...help me understand this. Is this something that works on specific finishes (like Poly that I think Taylor uses)? Ok for Nitro also?

Reason I ask is because I have a nice classical I bought that has a fairly thick poly finish and some fingernail scratches. I had another classical whose top was a disaster, and I shaved the bridge off and refinished it with Royal lac as a project. It came out pretty nice if I do say so...but it was a lot of work.

Wondering if this is a smarter way to go. And...how did you polish right up to the bridge without obvious shadow lines of thicker finish?

I've never had the Meguairs not work on any finish (although I've not tried it on FP!) There is no silicone in it, so that's not an issue either.

The top on this one was gloss to start with, so no issues with the bridge area. I've done them with satin tops before, thought and it is not perfect if you leave the bridge on (or the areas around the fingerboard extension) Lots of small circles near that area is really the best you can do. You have to really be looking normally to see the imperfections, but they will be there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion