The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Gorgeous instrument!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
guitar344 enjoys tuning instruments as high as he can. It's kind of his thing.
I'm still new to the instrument myself and like Daryl trying to figure out the best approach to learning it. I wasn't sure if I was missing some OM specific tuning, but I think I'm caught up now.

When I first came to the mandolin after decades of guitar, it was natural to treat it like a small guitar. And that's great for some instant gratification, but better to stop thinking that way quickly, which I've done. I think I'm on the same road here, as Daryl suggested, it's a different instrument and needs to be approached that way.

I've found that for the few mandolin tunes I have ported over to the Octave, they don't sound as appealing as they do on the regular mandolin. At this point the instrument has mostly been sitting while I try to absorb Sarah Jarosz, Tim O'Brien, and some of the Celtic players.

Last edited by Jim_G; 05-30-2017 at 05:15 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments