The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-16-2014, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Yellow Submarine

This is a really fun little song. It's always popular with both young and old and you just can't keep your toe from tappin'. Only problem is that it's a bit of an earworm!

As always, I'm eager for any feedback that will help me make a better performance.

Yellow Submarine

Steve
Old 07-16-2014, 12:24 PM
AGF Administrator

Hey Steve,

Your attire is certainly appropriate and I think it's the first time I've ever seen the top of your head! I enjoyed the video and don't really have anything of significance to offer this time in the way of feedback except to suggest trying to be a bit more emotive. I recall in your "Jet Plane" thread a couple people mentioned "mechanical" and I can see that you're working on it from the flourishes in this song. It can be difficult, though, if a song isn't entirely committed to memory.

By the way, in case you might have missed it and since you usually check out my stuff, I posted a new song here a few days ago if you were interested in checking it out: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=348088
Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM

Hi Steve, Nice job….looks like you had some fun with that one!
As for feedback, sort of along the lines of what Jeremy said, it appears that you’re reading the lyrics. I’ll usually read and sing the lyrics a couple of times when I’m first learning a song but it’s usually just unemotive (is that a word?) stuff to get an idea and commit to memory. Try this… First get the song/lyrics memorized by repetition so that you don’t need the lyric sheet to play the song. Listen to it in the car, at home etc… Then when you’ve got it memorized strap on your guitar and walk around the house singing the song, sing it while walking, walk backwards, sideways etc.. sing in a different room, sing it with your eyes closed! The point being, free yourself from the lyric sheets, cameras, mics, technology etc.. so that it’s just you, the guitar and the song….and whoever else may be in your house at the time!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Hey Steve! Havin' some fun with this one my friend and keepin' me smilin'! I think Jeremy and Ryan made some good points so I'll leave it that; nice job and thanks for sharin' bro!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Hey Steve,

Your attire is certainly appropriate and I think it's the first time I've ever seen the top of your head! I enjoyed the video and don't really have anything of significance to offer this time in the way of feedback except to suggest trying to be a bit more emotive. I recall in your "Jet Plane" thread a couple people mentioned "mechanical" and I can see that you're working on it from the flourishes in this song. It can be difficult, though, if a song isn't entirely committed to memory.

By the way, in case you might have missed it and since you usually check out my stuff, I posted a new song here a few days ago if you were interested in checking it out: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=348088
Hi Jeremy,
I always appreciate your suggestions and comments. I've been working hard to prepare for a Porchfest performance and it's my first duo act. Once I get past this, I'm going to work on trying to memorize a song, and see if it helps.

I try to keep a lid on most of the time to cut down on the glare;-)

I checked out your vid and really enjoyed it.

steve
Old 07-20-2014, 08:36 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
Hi Jeremy,
I always appreciate your suggestions and comments. I've been working hard to prepare for a Porchfest performance and it's my first duo act. Once I get past this, I'm going to work on trying to memorize a song, and see if it helps.

I checked out your vid and really enjoyed it.

steve
Hey Steve,

Being able to memorize a song makes a huge difference. It allows you to "feel" it more because you're not having to concentrate on getting the words right. Then you can close your eyes, put your head back and do a guitar face.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Gilmour View Post
Hi Steve, Nice job….looks like you had some fun with that one!
As for feedback, sort of along the lines of what Jeremy said, it appears that you’re reading the lyrics. I’ll usually read and sing the lyrics a couple of times when I’m first learning a song but it’s usually just unemotive (is that a word?) stuff to get an idea and commit to memory. Try this… First get the song/lyrics memorized by repetition so that you don’t need the lyric sheet to play the song. Listen to it in the car, at home etc… Then when you’ve got it memorized strap on your guitar and walk around the house singing the song, sing it while walking, walk backwards, sideways etc.. sing in a different room, sing it with your eyes closed! The point being, free yourself from the lyric sheets, cameras, mics, technology etc.. so that it’s just you, the guitar and the song….and whoever else may be in your house at the time!
I did have fun with this one, Ryan. Thanks for the tips... "walking backwards, sideways ... with my eyes closed" Sounds like a recipe for a broken guitar Good tips though.

Steve
Old 07-25-2014, 02:18 AM

SING IT, brother.

I think as you relax, things will come right along. Like you, I struggle with memorization. Once you own the piece in memory, nice things can happen with it.

As you relax into the piece, the vocal will smooth out. Right now I hear you counting the beats for sub-mar-i-ine. In a bit, that will just flow out and you can add a nice swell as the note sustains.

The playing is solid. Maybe a bit of dynamics there, too, would help keep it moving foward. Hit it harder on teh refrain for instance, and reduce the amount of strumming during the verse. Just ideas. It's your version ... own it and make it your own!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 AM

I haven't heard that song in 20 years or more!! Well done, Steve, and thanks for bringing up some great memories with this song!!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-26-2014, 08:32 PM

I think that you just need to put more "feeling" in all your songs that you do. I try to think of a song that "moves" me in some way.Then, I try to relay that "feeling" into that song when I perform it. If you really like a song,then ask yourself why you like it. Did that song you like make you laugh,cry,feel sad or what? Picking the correct songs to sing is important. Good luck on your journey.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Hey Steve! Havin' some fun with this one my friend and keepin' me smilin'! I think Jeremy and Ryan made some good points so I'll leave it that; nice job and thanks for sharin' bro!
Thanks, Eric. I appreciate your support. It was fun to do.

Steve
Old 08-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMFIST View Post
SING IT, brother.

I think as you relax, things will come right along. Like you, I struggle with memorization. Once you own the piece in memory, nice things can happen with it.

As you relax into the piece, the vocal will smooth out. Right now I hear you counting the beats for sub-mar-i-ine. In a bit, that will just flow out and you can add a nice swell as the note sustains.

The playing is solid. Maybe a bit of dynamics there, too, would help keep it moving foward. Hit it harder on teh refrain for instance, and reduce the amount of strumming during the verse. Just ideas. It's your version ... own it and make it your own!
Thanks for the tips HAMFIST - much appreciated.

Steve
Old 08-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
I haven't heard that song in 20 years or more!! Well done, Steve, and thanks for bringing up some great memories with this song!!
Hi Bob, thanks for listening and commenting.

steve
Old 08-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley-do-rite View Post
I think that you just need to put more "feeling" in all your songs that you do. I try to think of a song that "moves" me in some way.Then, I try to relay that "feeling" into that song when I perform it. If you really like a song,then ask yourself why you like it. Did that song you like make you laugh,cry,feel sad or what? Picking the correct songs to sing is important. Good luck on your journey.
Thanks for listening. Good tips. As you can see, expression is not my strong suite. I'm hoping this will come with practice and experience. My plan for the Fall 2014/Winter 2015 will be to memorize a few songs and see if this makes any difference in the degree of emotion/ musicality.

Thanks very much for the tips.

Steve
Old 08-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Hey, sorry I missed this one. Looks like you had lots of fun with this one1. I like the way you've varied the dynamics. I'll bet it is a song tap a toe/sing along with...

cheers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell