The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM

The American made Breedlove's are in my opinion very good guitars. I love my 12 string and my Ed Gerhard signature. I had and sold a Revival DR Deluxe (too many dreads) and it too was a wonderful guitar. Also had and sold a Revival OM which was a great guitar. I haven't had any experience with the Atlas series but I've heard they are a good bang for the buck. The Pro series is a mid-point and all solid wood constructed. I have a Pro CR 25 CH with LR Baggs pickup for sale at a good price if you're interested PM me.
'77 Guild G 41/ Martin HD 28 MP/ Martin OM 18 A/ '91 Taylor 510/ '96 Taylor 710 Braz/ Taylor 714 CE/ Taylor GS BTO Sinker Redwood/Madi/ RTaylor style 3 Adi/Eir/ H&D MJC Cedar/Mahog/ Taylor 518e (#2)/ H&D custom DS/ Martin custom D18 Sinker
Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
Breedlove guitars are very good high quality instruments. The American made all solid wood models are the best sounding of the ones that I have played.
They can turn some people off because certain models have a more modern design with the headstock and cut away shapes.
The Breedlove brothers started out w/ Taylor guitars and went out on their own. Larry returned to Taylor and is still there. Kim Breedlove is still designing and building guitars at Breedlove.
The company was bought a couple years ago by Two Old Hippies Guitars which includes Bedell and Batson Guitars.
Kim never worked for Robert Taylor, just Larry. Larry and Steve Henderson, whom also was a luthier at Taylor, started Breedlove Guitar Company with the help of Robert Taylor believe it or not. Kim came on later and brought with him he repertoire of building mandolins. Larry has since gone back to Taylor and Steve left as well.
196X Yamaha FG-140
Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
I don't know that particular guitar but both of my Breedlove's are awesome guitars. Phenomenal tone and responsiveness.
I agree with this. Mine is extremely responsive, has fantastic sustain and has a sweetness to it's tone.
196X Yamaha FG-140
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 PM

I have a Breedlove DR Revival which I picked up in 2011 and I absolutely love it. I had been shopping around for a used D18 or D28 and someone was selling this guitar on Kijiji in Ottawa. Once I played it I had to have it. And they're such a bargain on the used market. I just installed a K&K Mini in this one and am looking forward to jamming with some friends over the Summer:

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVJeff View Post
Kim never worked for Robert Taylor, just Larry. Larry and Steve Henderson, whom also was a luthier at Taylor, started Breedlove Guitar Company with the help of Robert Taylor believe it or not. Kim came on later and brought with him he repertoire of building mandolins. Larry has since gone back to Taylor and Steve left as well.
Sorry...got my history tangled up.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 PM

architype, it was just meant as an FYI, no apology necessary. I do find it interesting that Larry went back to Taylor. I wonder if he was just tired of running a business, who knows.
196X Yamaha FG-140
Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVJeff View Post
I do find it interesting that Larry went back to Taylor. I wonder if he was just tired of running a business, who knows.
According to Bob Taylor's "Guitar Lessons" book: "After a couple years, Larry’s feelings about business ownership changed and he left Breedlove Guitars to return to Taylor."
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
According to Bob Taylor's "Guitar Lessons" book: "After a couple years, Larry’s feelings about business ownership changed and he left Breedlove Guitars to return to Taylor."
That would make sense. You really have to want to own a business because it takes so much time and effort with minimal payout. I guess Larry was happy to just make guitars and not be bothered with the rest, heck who wouldn't.
196X Yamaha FG-140

Last edited by PVJeff; 02-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Being financially strapped, I believe that Breedlove also makes one of the finest guitars for under $500 as well!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkakguitarist View Post
Ok, this is my first post, haha. Anyway, I've been taking porfessional guitar lessons for near 2 years, play every week for church and am in the infant stages in a band. I'm looking to upgrade my guitar in the near future. I have a decent guitar, plays great, but it's an all laminate with a quacky sounding passive pickup.

I like real woods, active pickups, and a pretty guitar. Martins are my fav, but the one's that have the basic cosmetics, such as binding and fretboard inlays, are expensive! I was looking around and came upon Breedlove guitars. Are they any good? I'm specifically looking at an Atlas Revival Om/sme (sunburst). It looks really nice, has solid top and back (laminate sides), and a great L.R. Braggs pickup and Preamp. Not to mention it has butterbean style grover tuners.

Taylors and martins the same price dont have as much solid wood, nice electronics, and cosmetics as this so...I need your opinions! Thanks in advance.

Much love.
Possibly look for the cascade models which are on closeout at many places right now....you may catch a great deal on an all solid for a similar price.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion