The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-17-2015, 03:53 AM

Default Chord fingering precision

A simple question. As I progress and attempt to play some simple songs, am I better letting the chords be slightly imprecise (in order to allow a flow to develop), or should I slow right down until I have each chord change "perfect"?

I'd prefer to do the former, but fear I'll be developing bad technique or muscle memory?

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 02-17-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
A simple question. As I progress and attempt to play some simple songs, am I better letting the chords be slightly imprecise (in order to allow a flow to develop), or should I slow right down until I have each chord change "perfect"?

I'd prefer to do the former, but fear I'll be developing bad technique or muscle memory?
Hi WhaleBlue - Whenever I'm trying to work out anything that requires precision and speed, such as a lick or difficult chord progression while singing, I find it's best to slow everything right down until I can do it right and then gradually speed everything up once all of my fingers and my brain are on the same page.

I absolutely wouldn't recommend playing something at the correct speed, but with chord changes that might not be as clean as you know they should be. You'll get there and it's all about enjoying the ride. Good luck to you!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:32 AM

Hi Rooster,

Yup - I feared that would be the answer

It makes sense, so I'll slow down for this evening's session...

"I...............see...............a.............. .bad...............moon...............rising......
I...............see...............trouble......... ......on...............the...............way...".

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 02-17-2015, 04:43 AM

I don't think that's the whole story. you have to make a distinction between "Practice" and "Playing".
If you play it and the chords are not as distinct as you would like then practicing will improve this. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't play it for fun every now and then.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:40 AM

Default Tools for practice

I really like to use tools like Tabledit or GuitarPro in these situations, they allow you to start at a speed you can handle and automatically increase the speed for every loop with, let's say 5%... In my experience that is the shortest route to correct and fast playing.

But it always takes time and time and time..No short routes ( at least that i'm aware of)
Old 02-17-2015, 06:11 AM

Lefty and John, OK got you.

A sensible approach will be to go slowly through it getting some precision, and build up a bit by bit, but perhaps go for a full speed run through at the end of the session as (hopefully) more satisfying way to finish.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 AM

If your practicing a song and playing at a speed where there are mistakes. I would slow it down so I don't practice mistakes. Practicing or playing it correctly at any speed is less frustrating and will most likely be more productive.
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 02-17-2015, 10:22 AM

You can take a couple notes off the chord too. I find that some chords are just too hard in a song so I just pick the minimum notes that sound good until my fingers get better.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:49 AM

What I'm talking about primarily are dead notes caused by poor positioning - if I'm not getting a good note due to insufficient pressure I don't mind as that will change as my fingers strengthen.

I think the answer is don't form bad muscle memory, but do enjoy playing the songs too!

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 02-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I plant all the fingers at once on most chords and I form the chord shape in the air while moving towards the chord.
I suggest you practice both slow and fast as each tempo has its advantages in informing you of problem spots and teaching you what to work on.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 02-17-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Why would anyone prefer to be imprecise? A flubbed chord is just that. Play slowly until you get the changes cleanly, then gradually increase your tempo.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Why would anyone prefer to be imprecise? A flubbed chord is just that. Play slowly until you get the changes cleanly, then gradually increase your tempo.
Rusty, the preference is obviously not to be imprecise, the preference is to play the song at the correct tempo. However, given the advice here I'll slow down and try to get it right before upping the tempo bit by bit.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 02-17-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Rusty, the preference is obviously not to be imprecise, the preference is to play the song at the correct tempo. However, given the advice here I'll slow down and try to get it right before upping the tempo bit by bit.
I simply meant that it seems lazy and foolish to settle for "almost" when one knows and can play "exactly". We all flub chords, licks, and such, but it should be the exception. We only improve when we strive to be better. With practice you won't even think about the change, only the chord, it'll be second nature.

If you will be playing for your own enjoyment, then by all means, play whatever makes ya happy at whatever tempo makes you smile. There's a saying ... perfection is the enemy of the good". And Confucius said "Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without."
Old 02-17-2015, 01:36 PM

Sure, I guess the question in my mind was where to draw the line on "flubbery".

I'll aim for flawed diamond

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 02-17-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Staying in time is more important than getting the right tempo.
But personally I see no harm in playing at the right speed, even if some chords are imperfectly played. As long as you're aware of the issue!
Provided you have good position, your fretting precision will improve the more you play (as your hand learns the ropes).
And most guitar chords have superfluous notes anyway; if one or two are missing it's often no big deal, as long as the rhythm and timing are on the money.

Poor fretting (muting notes inadvertently) is very common among beginners, and is usually down to not being positive enough when grabbing the chords. There's a tendency to get your fingers in the right shape and the right places and think (subconsciously) that's enough. No - you have to show the guitar who is boss! (uh, that's you, btw ).
(Sometimes it's a matter of lack of strength, of course, but - on a well set-up guitar - you actually need very little pressure to hold the strings down. It's the focussing of the energy in the right places that matters - and you learn that over time, or rather your hands do, through repetition. Your hands do get stronger, but they also learn the optimum distribution of force, to target it exactly where it's needed; a lot is wasted when you're a beginner, which is why it feels so tough.)

There's also a natural tendency to think the right hand is totally in charge of rhythm and timing. Again, that can lead to a woolly, imprecise sound if the fret hand is not equally positive and on the beat when grabbing the chords. (And "grab" is a better word than "hold" .)
Try playing through a chord sequence (to a metronome) without strumming at all - just grabbing each new chord with the fret hand right on the beat where it changes. (You should get a hammer-on effect when doing this, but of course you won't hear open strings.)
Ultimately, both hands are equally in command of the time, equally strong and positive. Don't let the right hand lead all the time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write