The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-08-2015, 09:31 AM

Default Flatpicking or Fingerpicking - Which Style Was Harder To Learn?

For those of you who play or have attempted to learn to play both styles / techniques, I'm interested in knowing which you found more difficult to learn and/or master.

By 'Flatpicking' I don't mean just strumming.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 02-08-2015, 09:37 AM

That's hard to say. Fingerpicking requires more dexterity in the beginning but pays off earlier as most people hearing even simple patterns think it sounds like the big time. Flatpicking is initially more direct and easier to grasp but takes much longer to get to a point that it sounds competent and entertaining.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

I started out as a flat picker in my youth and when I picked up the guitar again back in 2005 I went finger style. To do both styles right (to sound musical), it takes tons of practice.

If you watch a flat picker that floats his hand and does a lot of fast cross picking, that takes talent and hard work.

Learning thumb "independence" in the finger style method is like that trick every one tries when they are a kid, pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time. It takes a while.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:25 PM

I think if you start out fingerpicking, the use of a plectrum comes easier because you're already aware of the notes to be sounded. In my case, I never did learn to use the plectrum. I use the blade of the thumb pick.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:31 PM

Steve - I first learned strumming, moved to finger picking and am now working on flatpicking. Each skill you learn reinforces the other. Your choice depends so much on what material you ar straying to emulate and learn. I would advise... Learn something and keep hacking at it. There are incredible resources today to help you get where you want to go.

So what do you like? What artist do you want to sound like?

Best,

Rick
Old 02-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Fingerpicking, by a long ways, is more difficult to learn than flatpicking, in my estimation... TO LEARN and become adequate with the technique...

To really master either discipline is going to take a lot of practice and work... but just from the "get-go", it was fingerpicking for me that was far more difficult to get a hold of...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-08-2015, 06:48 PM

I flat picked for 25 or so years before switching to classical. In my opinion the latter is far more difficult. instead of learning to be proficient with one tool which is not all that difficult to get even tone with, with the finger picking you have 3 asymmetric tools (and the thumb) that require a huge amount of practice and ear training to get an even tone. With a pick it isn't hard to create volume, not so with the fingers. Using a pick isn't counterintuitive once you are taught how to hold it and how to position your right arm, Most everything about finger picking technique is odd to say the least.
I don't want to imply flat picking isn't hard, it definitely is, but to play simple strumming, arpeggio songs, or slow soloing will happen quite a bit quicker for most than learning "simple" finger picking.

Chris
Old 02-09-2015, 08:27 AM

I started out pretty much from the get-go doing both. Back in '75, everyone was doing folkie ("Travis") fingerpicking. So I started with that but at the same time I liked bluegrass and started flatpicking as well.
I remember the first time I reliably "got" that basic Travis pattern down... And also when the standard "boom-chicka-boom" flatpicking strum started to work for me..... Milestones both.

I dunno.... I've currently been playing fingerstyle jazz, chord-melody stuff. It's certainly not easy but then neither is fast and fluid flatpicking..... I never did get crosspicking technique up to tempo.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:32 AM

Since I can't flatpick worth a darn I'm going to say that is more difficult.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 AM

I thought that by now some one would have pointed out that there are easy bits and harder bits in both flatpicking and fingerstyle.

If you can do it, it's easy and if you can't it's hard. An easy piece in either style is going to be easier than a hard one. Get over it. Mastering a technique or particular piece is part of playing an instrument. If there were no hard bits where would there be any rewards?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
That's hard to say. Fingerpicking requires more dexterity in the beginning but pays off earlier as most people hearing even simple patterns think it sounds like the big time. Flatpicking is initially more direct and easier to grasp but takes much longer to get to a point that it sounds competent and entertaining.
from my own experience I agree ...although I imagine they can both be equally difficult depending on how far you want to go.

I know clawhammer banjo took me several months to get my hand used to it. it's not intellectual where you figure it out and can do it...it's just a matter of developing otherwise unused muscles in your hand.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:50 PM

Interesting perspectives, thanks to all for weighing in.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 02-14-2015, 10:38 PM

At a higher level, both are difficult... but realistically finger-style is more difficult in that both right & left hand technique are so demanding. At a beginner level, it is easier to "strum" simply. It is much more difficult to play "melodic rhythm" with defined melody, bass lines and fills. For vocal accompaniment, finger-style is very difficult... a lot to coordinate. Playing "hybrid" style may be the ultimate compromise... or learn the magicians trick of "tuck & recover" with a pick and play both pure finger-style and pure flat-pick in the same song.

Every skill is complementary to other skills and cumulative in impact... all are important and relevant.

If you sing, first become proficient with a flatpick and solid melodic rhythm... very few people will ever pull off James Taylor in an elegant way.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 02-14-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Amen Dan - I can't flat pick to save my life - I find it very, very difficult...it doesn't feel natural to me at all - I really enjoy watching and listening to good flatpickers - wish I had that talent....

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 02-19-2015, 06:19 PM

Are the people commenting using fingerpicking (ie. patterns) or fingerstyle (ie. just playing but using fingers instead of a pick)? Personally, I am trying to learn fingerstyle as I have started learning to play slide but am having difficulty getting consistent volume when doing so.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write