The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-21-2015, 05:35 PM

Default Play 'name that chord' for me please

I like this woman's version of Ft. Worth Blues. During the verse (towards the end of a lyric, i.e. after 'red and blue'), she jumps down on the fretboard to what looks to be a D7 or thereabouts. She goes from a G to a ? to a G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_4yGT5Q23c

Name that chord! I can't figure it out (and clearly feel I should be able to!) :-)
Old 02-21-2015, 06:04 PM

Looks like D7.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilsG View Post
Looks like D7.
That was my thought, though she looks higher up on the fretboard. Perhaps it's the angle.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 PM

Maybe it's because I'm English but I had to listen to the first bit three times before I realised where the words 'red and blue' actually were. The first time she does it she hits a C note on the second string and probably strums the third and maybe the fourth strings open. Something like;

X X 0 0 1 X

This would make it a G sus 4 shape on the capo, B sus 4 if playing with other instruments.

This is a lot easier if you play the G chord with your third finger on the sixth string instead of your second. Then you can do

3 X 0 0 1 X

or even

3 2 0 0 1 X

with less hand movement to boot.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:07 PM

G sus 4

x
x
x

She puts the first finger down for a single downstroke then lifts it off on the upstroke (jumping back to a G major in the process)

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 02-21-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Maybe it's because I'm English but I had to listen to the first bit three times before I realised where the words 'red and blue' actually were. The first time she does it she hits a C note on the second string and probably strums the third and maybe the fourth strings open. Something like;

X X 0 0 1 X

This would make it a G sus 4 shape on the capo, B sus 4 if playing with other instruments.

This is a lot easier if you play the G chord with your third finger on the sixth string instead of your second. Then you can do

3 X 0 0 1 X

or even

3 2 0 0 1 X

with less hand movement to boot.
Sorry I took so long replying (got distracted) that you beat me to it.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 02-21-2015, 07:12 PM

I've done that myself.

You can see why LindaW and NilsG said D7. Her second finger looks like it's on the third string second fret but I think it's actually up in the air.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
I've done that myself.

You can see why LindaW and NilsG said D7. Her second finger looks like it's on the third string second fret but I think it's actually up in the air.
Yeah - videos can be quite deceiving sometimes.

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 PM

Thanks guys! The D7 didn't ring right - I'll try your stuff out - I think y'all are right. Videos can be very deceiving.

I discovered you can also play a hybrid pick-strum, and just use G, C, and Dsus2 and D but it sounds not so bluesy
Old 02-21-2015, 08:08 PM

The chord id D7/F#. This is D7 with F# on the low E

She plays the song nicely but her mechanics and fingering need some help.

Play the G with your ring and pinky so your index is free to play the sus4 C. First fret of the second string. There is no point in changing your hand back and forth from G to Gsus4 and back.

The D7/F# is X While on this chord she plays a little melody
1index A-b-c, 2nd fret on g, open b, first fret on b
2ring
X
2 middle finger

Chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write