The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-07-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Singletary View Post
I like the acoustic music of the Lumineers. I can't sing a like but when I do try to sing, my voice is much deeper than the original. There is no way I could sound the same. Maybe I need to try some Barry White? I can't change the key of most of the Lumineer's music because all I can do is go higher or try different tuning but that is way to advanced for my skill set at this time.
And singing a fifth or an octave lower ? Re-arranging a bit the melody if needed ?

I love to sing "Message in a bottle" one full octave under Sting original (easiest change possible ).
Old 02-08-2015, 11:25 PM

I don't know much about singing, but I do know, I will only perform songs after they are transposed into a key that suits my voice, so as to not sound WONKEY---as long as the key is close ...and sometimes not, it sounds perfect an the normal Joe or Mary would never know the difference , as long as you stay just at the center to tip top of your VOCAL RANGE . Oddly many songs sound better than the original after being transposed.

Last edited by SpiderTrap; 02-08-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 AM

sometimes it's cool to learn songs "properly." if the song involves techniques you're unfamiliar with it's better to learn them the right way first than trying to correct a mistake later on. then take what you've learned and put your own spin on it if you want.

if the song doesn't bring anything new to the table then do whatever you want with it as long as you're having fun.

personally I don't care if the song sounds original or not. I try to stick to whatever impulses I have in regards to me having fun on the guitar. at the same time I try to be aware of when I come across something I ought to learn the right way first.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:02 PM

Interesting replies everyone.

Changing key to one which fits is obviously the easiest thing - but then you tend to find where the original goes up, you have to go down, etc - the 'tweaks' HAVE to be different.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:20 PM

Not that I'm a singer but I tend to take the framework of the song and work off of that. One of my favorite performances I've ever seen was when the Miss. and I went to dinner a while back. The guy played layla in a southern soul style similar to Bill withers and absolutely owned it. The melody and the rest of the bones were there but the key and the way he played were a little different I was so floored with the performance I stopped him on my way out to tip him and applaud that particular song.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Default You Tubes

Recently watched some you tubes of local festivals with local " Professional " musicians, trying to do songs in their original KEY , and they couldn't sing worth a crap . I was a little stunned ...as these were the MAIN ACTS .... I taught myself how to sing in KEY by transposition , but I guess these guys hadn't figured that one out yet...Yes they were about half my age , maybe they'll figure it out in about 20 more years ...
Old 02-19-2015, 04:15 PM

Not sure how to phrase this but think of two great Carol King songs, "You've Got a Friend" and "Natural Woman". I am paraphrasing here but CK said something to the effect that after so many years of hearing JT's version of "YGAF" and Aretha Franklin's version of "Natural Woman" she has a hard time not doing her own songs like these two performers. I guess this is a vote for finding your own voice, key and interpretation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write