The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-28-2016, 10:36 AM

Default Used Studio Monitors - Good Idea?

I am slowly putting together a fun little music area in our home's bonus room. It will not be a proper recording studio, though I will be doing some recording there. Already have, in fact, using my custom 1964 Ears in-ear monitors. Eventually, I would like to add a pair of powered studio monitor speakers, perhaps something in the 6" range. I'm always looking for can't-pass-up deals, but almost never see one for studio monitors. I'm a bit leery of eBay, so have been watching our Classifieds occasionally, and even did a little searching. Used monitors are rarely offered. Why is this? Is it because people prefer to buy their own, and keep them forever after? Is it because shipping might be prohibitive? Or is it because buying used studio monitors, without knowing how they have been used/abused is a bad idea?

And while we're talking, is there a "sweet spot" 6" powered monitor that you'd recommend? (I say 6" because it's combination of small footprint, relatively low price, and stronger low end than smaller speakers; 38Hz-35kHz advertised for the KRK Rokit 6, for instance.)

cotten
Old 03-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I am slowly putting together a fun little music area in our home's bonus room. It will not be a proper recording studio, though I will be doing some recording there. Already have, in fact, using my custom 1964 Ears in-ear monitors. Eventually, I would like to add a pair of powered studio monitor speakers, perhaps something in the 6" range. I'm always looking for can't-pass-up deals, but almost never see one for studio monitors. I'm a bit leery of eBay, so have been watching our Classifieds occasionally, and even did a little searching. Used monitors are rarely offered. Why is this? Is it because people prefer to buy their own, and keep them forever after? Is it because shipping might be prohibitive? Or is it because buying used studio monitors, without knowing how they have been used/abused is a bad idea?

And while we're talking, is there a "sweet spot" 6" powered monitor that you'd recommend? (I say 6" because it's combination of small footprint, relatively low price, and stronger low end than smaller speakers; 38Hz-35kHz advertised for the KRK Rokit 6, for instance.)

cotten
Hi Cotten,
I would imagine the size and cost of shipping is prohibitive for value priced monitors. My main criteria for monitors is how they sound for the acoustic guitar, and the sweet spot I've found for that is 5". I've been using Equitor D5's for about 2 years now and have been very satisfied. I tried some 7" monitor in roughly the same price range, maybe 25% less, and was not at all satisfied with the bass. It wasn't an level issue but the larger speaker just didn't have the clarity I like.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-28-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:

cotten
Hi Cotten,

Yeah, studio monitors don't come up often in these parts either. When they do, you want to be certain that some "dweeb" didn't use them as a P/A, and crank the snot out of them. You might also want to look for something that has a transferable warranty.

When you're assessing a "sweet spot", you really need a reference-point from which to base your assessment. Size alone, is not necessarily a good indication of how a speaker will perform. A lot of low-budget monitors, tend to have artificially boosted low-end,,,, simply because that "sells" speakers in the eyes of many. I wouldn't put much faith in specs, because at the consumer-level, the specs are essentially meaningless. When they quote a "frequency response" for example, you have ZERO indication of whether they're quoting the frequency response of one of the raw drivers,,,, or the fully assembled speaker, nor the manner in which the speaker was tested (amplitude,,, measured in full-space,,, 1/2 space,,,, 1/4 space, etc.) Unless it's specifically stated, you really can't assume anything at this level.

If you want to generalize, then yeah, a 6" monitor within the same model range, will generally have more low-end than their same-series 4" version, but,,,, how accurate is it? That's where you need that reference-point, in order to make a "sound" judgement. (pardon the pun).

As a reference-point, I'd recommend you at least give a listen to a pair of Klien & Hummel 0 300's, or 0 310's. I believe they may have been bought out by Neumann, so substitute Neumann instead of Klien & Hummel when doing your search. Once you've heard those, it'll put everything else into proper perspective. It's worth the effort, believe me.

That said, you'll find that almost everything else is a compromise, and it then becomes a question of how much compromise is acceptable to you.

And with that said, within the "affordable" monitor market, I've talked to a few guys who have bought Yorkvilles' studio monitors, and been totally happy with them. The Yorkie stuff is generally very well built, and generally bullet-proof, with good customer support. If you blow a driver for example, you'd have no problems getting replacement parts for virtually any of their speakers, regardless of age.

Here's a few links;

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct1...man-kh310a.htm

https://www.recordingmag.com/product...014/01/84.html

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct1...man-kh310a.htm

Yorkie monitors;

http://yorkville.com/studio_monitors/ysm_series/

Last edited by Bobby1note; 03-28-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I've had several different near field monitors over the years for studio use for solo fingerstyle guitar. Chuck is right, a 5" woofer is adequate for just an acoustic guitar (and voice), although that size can be a bit light when tuning string 6 down to C. I current use two different two-way pairs, one active set with a 6.5" woofer and one passive set with an 8" woofer. Both sets are ported. I have a third set (3-way passive) with an 8" woofer, 5" mid and 1.5" tweeter, but they are just too much speaker for the treated room I'm in (16' x 12' x 8').
Old 03-28-2016, 01:17 PM

A lot of people don't like the harshness of those KRKs, and some don't like the accented mids. But everyone has different hearing, too.
What's your budget?
I'm using JBL LSR305 monitors, which are often on sale for around $240/pair. Low end is somewhere around 45Hz on them, I believe. Only drawback is that they have rear-firing bass ports, so for accurate sound, you need to have some bass trapping behind them (and keep them out of corners).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-28-2016, 04:09 PM

cotton: i just checked my local craigslist and found 4 pairs of decent monitors including the krk rockit, so you may want to keep an eye on CL. i also checked reverb.com and they had quite a few there. also keep an eye on musician's friend for their stupid deal of the day. they now and then have monitors on sale for a good price.

i would only buy used monitors if the seller has them hooked up so that you can listen and operate any and all controls. if it has a grill cloth, make sure to take it off to inspect the speakers.

you may first want to go to your big box store(s) and listen to a few first so that you get an idea of what you really need. leave your wallet at home. ha!

i have the event speakers made near me in santa barbara and i really like them. i've also had jbl and have heard adam. both are highly regarded.

i would expect bob womack and kevwind to pop in here and give you some sage advice too.

here is a google search that may give you a few choices to try out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moni...utf-8&oe=utf-8

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-28-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
A lot of people don't like the harshness of those KRKs, and some don't like the accented mids. But everyone has different hearing, too.
What's your budget?
I'm using JBL LSR305 monitors, which are often on sale for around $240/pair. Low end is somewhere around 45Hz on them, I believe. Only drawback is that they have rear-firing bass ports, so for accurate sound, you need to have some bass trapping behind them (and keep them out of corners).
+1. I'm using those JBL's, along with headphones to double check the mix, and they're a good set of speakers for the money. I've found my mixes are already starting to transfer well to other environments since I bought them, too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-28-2016, 10:00 PM

Thanks, everyone! I knew I could count on AGF friends for both wisdom and resources. I look forward to exploring those links! Because I'm just starting in this and I'm not certain if I'll catch the recording bug, I really don't have a budget. Less expensive would be better than more expensive, but I don't want to buy junk that I'll be looking to replace in a few months. Ideally, I'll want something that will allow me to add my 5-string Carvin bass to the mix. Not sure I want to pay even $500 for a pair PreSonus E8s, JBL LSR308s, M-Audio BX8s, etc., unless I really have to. That's why I asked about the wisdom of buying used monitors.

Eventually, I'll be asking about used mics, but then I see a wide variety of them in our Classifieds - almost no monitors! (I have access to a few mics that I could borrow for a quick project beyond what I have now, so that's not as immediate need.)

cotten
Old 03-29-2016, 07:59 AM

When I'm practicing my (4 string) bass, I'll often just plug into my interface and use my 5" JBLs, but I have to keep the volume down, as they don't sound good pushed for such use. In a mix, there's no problem with the bass low end.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-29-2016, 08:51 AM

Default Used Studio Monitors - Good Idea?

Thanks, Mike, I needed to know that.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I use Tannoy Reveals and find them very musical.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, everyone! I knew I could count on AGF friends for both wisdom and resources. I look forward to exploring those links! Because I'm just starting in this and I'm not certain if I'll catch the recording bug, I really don't have a budget. Less expensive would be better than more expensive, but I don't want to buy junk that I'll be looking to replace in a few months. Ideally, I'll want something that will allow me to add my 5-string Carvin bass to the mix. Not sure I want to pay even $500 for a pair PreSonus E8s, JBL LSR308s, M-Audio BX8s, etc., unless I really have to. That's why I asked about the wisdom of buying used monitors.

Eventually, I'll be asking about used mics, but then I see a wide variety of them in our Classifieds - almost no monitors! (I have access to a few mics that I could borrow for a quick project beyond what I have now, so that's not as immediate need.)

cotten
If you are adding a bass guitar with fundamental frequencies down to 40 Hz, you will need a subwoofer if you want accurate monitoring. That, and your room will need treating to handle that.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 PM

Spend the extra 100 bucks and get the Yamaha HS 7's and be done with it. You won't regret it.

Ray
Old 04-01-2016, 04:43 PM

Thanks again, my friends. Good suggestions here. The answer to my original question is basically no, used studio monitors are not a good idea unless 1. you know how they were used (and not abused), and 2. shipping is not going to be prohibitive. Further, I learned that I should probably wait a while on monitors, so that I can pay a bit more for higher quality. Thanks, and rats!

cotten
Old 04-01-2016, 04:59 PM

My experience shopping for used studio monitors was... The price people were asking was real close to new price.

Someone here pointed me to a sale and I got a pair of new JBL305's for $199.

Buy new and enjoy the confidence.

Last edited by chitz; 04-02-2016 at 07:30 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD