The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-19-2017, 10:15 PM

Default Strings

Hi all I know this is a old subject but in case someone is interested, tonight I tried a set of strings I'd had in my drawer forever, broke a string today and didn't have another to replace it Nano Web so I grabbed a set Martin Retro light 12/54's and put them on my APLE for a temporary fix.
Man these strings really warmed up the CF, I couldn't believe it was my same guitar, the Nanos are good and I've used them forever but these make this thing sing so mellow. Biggest difference I noticed was the first two strings, and they should be the same just plain but they are sweet sounding.
Anyway probably the last to find out as usual because I find one I like and stick with it forever, but these Monel's are really Great! Jerry
Made my day!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:40 AM

I like the original Polyweb Elixirs on my RainSong. Seems to make it sound less bright and just perfect to my ear. The squeak reduction is nice too.

I still change them monthly because I don't want a broken string at a gig. Elixir must love customers like me! As a retired EE with too much manufacturing experience, coated strings must be a huge money maker for their manufacturers as they have got to be much higher margin for the likely trivial cost of coating.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-21-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Thomastik-Infeld Acoustic Guitar Plectrum Bronze Flat Wound/Bronze Round Wound Medium Light, .012 - .059, AC112

love these on my RS parlor. worth every penny.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 02-21-2017, 05:30 PM

I will give them a try always open to suggestions, my guitar being a little different from the regular Shorty the Retros are nice but not coated so don't know how long they will last...but love the warm tone.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I like the original Polyweb Elixirs on my RainSong. Seems to make is sound less bright and just perfect to my ear. The squeak reduction is nice too.

I still change them monthly because I don't want a broken string at a gig. Elixir must love customers like me! As a retired EE with too much manufacturing experience, coated strings must be a huge money maker for their manufacturers as they have got to be much higher margin for the likely trivial cost of coating.
Polywebs & Monels are my picks as well!
I played the polywebs for 6 months before trying he Retro Monels. Now Monels keeping themselves in play.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 02-21-2017, 08:59 PM

I put a set of d'Addario nickel/bronze strings on my Shorty a couple of weeks ago. Didn't like them for a few days and thought about taking them off and going back to Martin Lifespan SPs, but the nickel/bronze have really grown on me. I just bought another set and am going to stick with them for a while.
Pisgah Woodchuck open back banjo
A few parts built Telecasters
Fender Thinline Cabronita Tele
Fessenden D10 Pedal steel
1954 National lap steel
George Boards Weissenborn clone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber