The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 AM

Default Any Martin DX1 owners please help

Hello
I have owned a DX1 for 6 months. I took it in for a set up. The first guy looked into the truss rod hole and told me "Your truss rod nut is missing." He told me to return the guitar.
Speaking to my bro on the phone, he thought the guy just hadn't looked properly- that it was deeper down. So I took it to a second set up guy who was certain it is missing, as he put it "maybe the newer models are different, but I think the top part of the truss rod is missing."
Since the shop I got it from is 3 hrs away I wanted to be absolutely certain, before driving only to be told that the DX1 truss rod nut is very deep. I'd read somewhere that a new duel action system is used? Anyone?
Finally, I took it to a third shop. The guy there used a mirror and said he still could not see it. He said he'd seen DX1's before, that the truss rod is accessed deeper than usual, but than mine is simply missing, and that he had never seen this in any guitar before.
Unfortunately, no where here stocks Martins (hence why the shop I got it is 3 hrs drive) so I cannot go and compare it to another DX1.
So my question to DX1 owners- where is your truss rod nut? ie the thing you stick the allen key into. Is it more than 4 inches into the hole?
Many thanks.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:35 AM

I'd contact Martin directly and ask them what it's supposed to look like.

Now you have me curious about my 000X1. I'm going to have to take a look inside when I get home from work today.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhealer View Post
I'd contact Martin directly and ask them what it's supposed to look like.

Now you have me curious about my 000X1. I'm going to have to take a look inside when I get home from work today.
That is the obvious thing, I know. I emailed them a few days ago but no response.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spe20 View Post
That is the obvious thing, I know. I emailed them a few days ago but no response.
forget the email.......call them 610-759-2837
Old 05-05-2009, 08:51 AM

Martin changed their truss rods a couple of years ago. The new rods are much deep and take a longer wrench to adjust. I'd bet the guys you took it to have not yet encountered the newer truss rod.

Call Martin and ask them. They are much better about responding on the telephone.

Jim
Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 AM

I should add that I live in the UK. I don't think martin have a UK contact number, and I'd rather just ask anyone who has purchased a DX1 in the last year or two, rather than make a long distance call!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:16 AM

this is the tool you need...............it is 5 inches long.........
http://maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/45033
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
Crazy. I found a number for a UK martin distributor. Called them up, the guy went to speak to a tech. Called me back saying 2 different techs there told him that the new system has the truss rod nut 5 inches deep. To think, I'd have been on a 3 hr drive since 3 separate techs here told me the thing was missing.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 AM

it's crazy that 2 or 3 shops all said your truss rod is missing. I know it's too deep to see with a mirror. I'm just shocked that none of them know that's it's deeper in there. I cannot imagine in a million years that Martin forgot to put a truss rod in yours. It just doesn't make much sense. I'd definitely call Martin if you haven't already.

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spe20 View Post
Crazy. I found a number for a UK martin distributor. Called them up, the guy went to speak to a tech. Called me back saying 2 different techs there told him that the new system has the truss rod nut 5 inches deep. To think, I'd have been on a 3 hr drive since 3 separate techs here told me the thing was missing.
those 3 techs should be banned from ever "teching" again. lol.

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 AM

yea, techs should know better or they have no business being techs!!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
it's crazy that 2 or 3 shops all said your truss rod is missing. I know it's too deep to see with a mirror. I'm just shocked that none of them know that's it's deeper in there. I cannot imagine in a million years that Martin forgot to put a truss rod in yours. It just doesn't make much sense. I'd definitely call Martin if you haven't already.
I felt the same. I simply could not believe it would have been shipped in that condition- hence why I asked 3 techs and even phoned a UK distributor. I have to say I'm pretty amazed that none of them worked it out.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
+ 1

I had to rummage through my tool box until I found the right length to adjust my DSR. It's definitely not missing, just alot deeper than most other guitars (why, I don't know?)

Maybe someone can enlighten us on why Martin chooses to make our lives a little harder?
2009 Martin LX1
2008 Yamaha FG720s
Old 05-05-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHulkster View Post
+ 1

I had to rummage through my tool box until I found the right length to adjust my DSR. It's definitely not missing, just alot deeper than most other guitars (why, I don't know?)

Maybe someone can enlighten us on why Martin chooses to make our lives a little harder?
Funny enough, my original email to Martin about all of this just got answered.
They say:

"Your DX1 guitar has a 2-way adjustable truss rod. Martin started installing these in our guitars in 2005.
The main purpose of the adjustable neck rod is to remove the slight hollow or concave surface of the fret board that occurs naturally as an instrument ages. Secondarily from time to time a guitar neck has a rounded or convex fret board surface. This new truss rod is seated higher in the neck, about an inch deeper."

They offered to send me the necessary tool for free. Not that I even plan to adjust the truss rod but hey...
Old 05-05-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHulkster View Post
They went from a one-way to a two-way truss rod.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion