The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 08:57 PM

I have to say that this is great progress! Now learn more chords and progressions. Keep up the hard work!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:20 PM

The more you play the better you'll get.

Here a great lesson from one of our best teachers!

http://acousticguitarforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=60414

Old 02-23-2017, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
The more you play the better you'll get.

Here a great lesson from one of our best teachers!

http://acousticguitarforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=60414

Thanks for the link. Looks like a fun one to play and really like the song. Will give it a try when I am done working on my power chords
Old 02-23-2017, 07:55 AM

Facers, I want to also say you're doing well and it's great that you open yourself up to advice. Here's mine.

The worst thing about strummers (and I'm one) is that brushing across most or all of the strings in a chord is boring. At your stage that's understandable and acceptable but since you want to get better, start trying this in your practice regimen.

Work at an up and down strum that picks out the individual NOTES in the chord. Focus on the melody and pick it out of the chord shapes.

I'm a pick user, strummer, exclusively, but when I play it doesn't sound like it. I'm digging in and accenting certain notes, much like a finger picker would.

Second tip: Learn right now, how to finger pick. That will show you what I'm talking about with your pick. Also, it will broaden your appeal and enhance your abilities. I hope you understand that comes from a guy that's played over 40 yrs., and never learned the skill. That doesn't keep me from appreciating it and advising you on one mistake I've made in my journey.

Keep working! Good job so far!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-23-2017, 08:06 AM

Great advice.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

I would also encourage learning some basic finger picking patterns sooner rather than later. Wish I hadn't waited so long to get started.

Same with the vocals, it doesn't just happen naturally for some of us. Ever notice how many singers speak a lot lower than their singing voice? That is because they are using something called the middle voice while singing, as opposed to the chest or speaking voice. If you want to learn more, I recommend a book/CD by Roger Love called Set Your Voice Free. It starts right at the beginning.

Stick with it, you are off to a great start. In fact you have come further in 6 weeks than I did in 6 years!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:26 AM

Coming along well for only 6 weeks of experience. And it takes guts to post and ask for feedback - kudos on that.

I am a beginner also and have just a few suggestions - these address the same things I struggle with and am trying to correct:

1) Pace - all of us beginners struggle with an even pace and the correct tempo - you might want to try a metronome to ensure you are staying on tempo and not speeding up and slowing down. I find staying on tempo to be one of the hardest things to do.

2) I like the song choice, but it seems a bit difficult for a beginner - lots of chord changes in quick tempo. Is it in standard tuning or drop D? I would try slowing down until you are nailing the chord changes and they sound clean. You are doing well for the speed and number of chord changes this song requires.

Keep it up - progressing nicely!
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 02-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Second tip: Learn right now, how to finger pick. That will show you what I'm talking about with your pick. Also, it will broaden your appeal and enhance your abilities. I hope you understand that comes from a guy that's played over 40 yrs., and never learned the skill. That doesn't keep me from appreciating it and advising you on one mistake I've made in my journey.
Amen. My biggest mistake also. I wonder how many others?
Old 02-23-2017, 11:02 AM

Your progress is very good for 6 weeks. You are fairly fluid in both hands. That's a really good thing that take some folks a long time to get. But if you listen to your recording, I'm sure that you'll hear a lack of clarity in the guitar sounds. You need to learn to make the notes ring out. You can do it. It only takes a bit more focus and concentration.

So my advice... SLOW DOWN. Strum each chord only once and make sure you can hear every note clearly. Become aware of notes that you shouldn't strike when playing some chords (i.e. the low E string on basic C or A chords). When playing, make sure you play at a pace where your chord changes can be fluid (like you're doing) but also ring out. You'll hear it. Pay attention to this and within a week or so you're playing will take another huge leap.

Also, others have said it so at the sake of being redundant... Time to learn to finger pick. It will teach you a lot and make you way more versatile. You may need a few private lessons to get going with it, both to learn technique and to be guided as to which picking patterns you should tackle first.

Great start! Good luck going forward.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-23-2017, 11:38 AM

Just a note on learning to sing. Vocal chords are just muscles, and need to be trained like any other muscle in your body. Through training you will develop control and endurance. There are many good 'Learn to Sing' videos on UTUBE. You can sing along with your favorite artists. You can play the scales on your guitar, and Do Re Mi along. It works. Just don't expect to be Elvis Presley overnight; your vocal range and intonation will develop and expand the more you practice. Keep at it!
Old 02-23-2017, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post
Amen. My biggest mistake also. I wonder how many others?
I'm guilty. Been messing around on the guitar off and on for 30 plus years, semi-seriously for the last 10. But only started really studying finger style last month. It isn't easy, but it is rewarding to see the progress. Highly recommend the Mark Hanson books/cd's.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:37 PM

You're doing great man, keep at it. I second the slow it down a bit advice; it helps you really listen to what your doing/not doing and provides clarity of what you really want to sound like.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 02-24-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
2) I like the song choice, but it seems a bit difficult for a beginner - lots of chord changes in quick tempo. Is it in standard tuning or drop D? I would try slowing down until you are nailing the chord changes and they sound clean. You are doing well for the speed and number of chord changes this song requires.
It is in standard tuning.

Actually the reason I decided I wanted to work on this song was because of the power chords, as it is something new I wanted to learn and I am trying to work up to learning the F barre chord.

There is an easier version which is only power chords but I thought it's more fun to learn this version using a mix of open chords and power chords as it's a bit more of a challenge and will help me get better at changing chords.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion