The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-13-2016, 11:37 AM

Default Newbie - Home recording setup - mini review

Budget / Newbie Home Recording:

I've always enjoyed recording my band and solo acoustic stuff. So I figured it was time to ditch my little Zoom H1 digital recorder. Although, it has served me well and will still be great for quick demo or live on the fly recording.

I've got my first computer based system and look forward to learning how to record and mix. Mostly as a hobby and to keep me busy this winter!

So for any newbies out there... I thought I'd share some of my gear findings below. I had about $500 to spend on gear. I wanted to get the best for the money. I already had some of the gear already (couple mics, cables, stands).

Just sharing my info with any other newbies.. Also open up the discussion to my next phase which is room treatment. I already have some ideas for bass traps, acoustic treatment for the walls and possibly the ceiling. That is phase II.

Gear:
One of the first things needed is an Interface: Seems there are several good ones to choose from in the lower price range of $75-150. I started out looking at Steinberg UR22 and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Which are well reviewed as best in class for the money. But I stumbled upon the winner....

Behringer UMC204HD for $73 bucks shipped on Amazon. The USB interface has 2 Inputs and 4 outs. Everything I needed. Gets great reviews for sound quality. 3 Year warranty too. This model actually is similar in features to the Focusrite 2i4 which goes for $199. The UMC204 has the Pad switch for each input and separate knobs for headphones, monitoring mix and overall output. I know Behringer get's mixed reviews on some things it sells... But this model is fantastic and great value. The savings on the interface allowed me to spend more on the studio monitors!

Studio Monitors: My budget for monitors was $100-$150 each range. I decided on the JBL LSR305. These have 5” woofers and plenty of power.... Very enjoyable to listen to. The imaging is incredible and overall sound makes them a great choice. These go for $300 for a pair. I got mine for $255 using a MF coupon.

Mics: From what I read... I needed 2-3 different kinds of mics to start off with. Dynamic, Large and small condenser mics. So I already have a couple Dynamic vocal mics - AKG D5 and Shure SM58. Also had a Large Condenser mic MXL990 which is low budget. But I also needed something to record acoustic guitars and found a used pair of Rode M5 -Small condenser mics. They are sold as a matched set. I also bought a nifty dual mic holder so I can experiment with placement. The Rode mics should do well recording my acoustic guitars.

First impressions..
The Behringer interface is super nice and installed in minutes. Works perfectly.. Input sound is clean (again I am a newbie and prob wouldn't know any better at this point)... I like that it has separate knobs for controlling output, monitor and headphones. It has Phantom power and a pad switch (pad was not included with the others I looked at).

Software: This is the toughest part for me..... I never used any DAW software. There are so many to choose from. I downloaded several to try ... Tracktion (which comes free with the Behringer), Cubase demo, Audacity free and Reaper.

So far I am really into Reaper! Simple for me to learn .. yet powerful when I am ready for it. I like Reaper from a newbie standpoint because there is very good free documentation and videos to learn from... I'm on the 60 day trial and will pay the $60 bucks when it is over. Which ain't bad at all.

Well... I hope it helps any of my AGF friends that are just getting into recording.. Also I welcome any comments and advice for newbies!

Below is a link to the first song that I recorded! But know I can do a lot better.... As I am just learning to record with this set up. Plus I really need to figure mic placement, input volumes, mixing, EQ etc... as well as room treatment.

https://soundcloud.com/user-11272158...e-2-with-vocal
Old 10-13-2016, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm not familiar with most of your equipment, but it does seem you have all you need to start your dive into home recording of the acoustic guitar. Lots of fun, or at least interesting, if you enjoy experimenting and examining results.

I also have a pair of 5" monitors (Equator D5's). For entry level monitors, I think that size is optimal for acoustic guitar. I'm also using Reaper; lots of functionality for the price and the online tutorials are very good.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-13-2016, 01:30 PM

Good to hear good things about the Behr - maybe other AI manufacturers will step up to the plate with better/cheaper options than they have now.

The JBL monitors are hard to beat in this price range (for new) - their only drawback is that they have rear-firing bass ports. To get a balanced sound from them, either they need to be well out from the front wall of the room (the old 32% rule applies), or you need bass trapping behind them.

Reaper - its got quite a learning curve, but the massive user manual, and help forums at cockos.com and the users at homerecording.com make it a great option.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-13-2016, 02:24 PM

I hope you're on the right track because I'm right behind you. We're going to record our second CD ourselves. Here's the gear:

Mics: Miktek PM5 and AGK C 535 EB
Interface: Apogee One
Computer: iMac
DAW: Reaper
2nd Party Plugins: EZ Drummer 2, Waves Bass Rider, Waves Vocal Rider, Waves Scheps Parallel Particles
Monitor: Mackie CR3 monitors
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH M50x
Room treatment: sE Electronics SPACE and Super Supreme Blankets over window and behind performer

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 10-13-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I hope you're on the right track because I'm right behind you. We're going to record our second CD ourselves. Here's the gear:

Mics: Miktek PM5 and AGK C 535 EB
Interface: Apogee One
Computer: iMac
DAW: Reaper
2nd Party Plugins: EZ Drummer 2, Waves Bass Rider, Waves Vocal Rider, Waves Scheps Parallel Particles
Monitor: Mackie CR3 monitors
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH M50x
Room treatment: sE Electronics SPACE and Super Supreme Blankets over window and behind performer
Hi Buzzard - I'd strongly suggest you upgrade your monitors before you get to the mixing stage. Those 3" speakers low end is 80Hz - that means all the low frequencies in your mixes (bass, kick drum, for example) will not really be heard, you'll be hearing the harmonics of them. So your mixes will probably have real low end issues that you won't be able to hear until you listen on systems that CAN produce those low frequencies - take it from someone who did use 3" monitors starting out. When I sent my mixes to a mastering engineer the first thing he told me was my low end was a mess!

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Hi Buzzard - I'd strongly suggest you upgrade your monitors before you get to the mixing stage. Those 3" speakers low end is 80Hz - that means all the low frequencies in your mixes (bass, kick drum, for example) will not really be heard, you'll be hearing the harmonics of them. So your mixes will probably have real low end issues that you won't be able to hear until you listen on systems that CAN produce those low frequencies - take it from someone who did use 3" monitors starting out. When I sent my mixes to a mastering engineer the first thing he told me was my low end was a mess!
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I’d been a little worried about the monitors. I’m wondering if I should do something like a pair of JBL LSR305’s or maybe just get a nice pair of cans like the AKG K702’s or Senn HD600's?

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 10-18-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:11 AM

I have those JBLs and they have made a real difference to my mixes. the one drawback for them, though - and for many smaller 'monitors' - rear-firing bass ports. So either the monitors need to be several feet out from the 'front' wall of your mixing room, or you need bass traps behind them. Lucky for me, I already had bass trapping on my front wall when I got the JBLs.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-21-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I have those JBLs and they have made a real difference to my mixes. the one drawback for them, though - and for many smaller 'monitors' - rear-firing bass ports. So either the monitors need to be several feet out from the 'front' wall of your mixing room, or you need bass traps behind them. Lucky for me, I already had bass trapping on my front wall when I got the JBLs.
Yep... bass traps and treatment at the reflection point (side walls) made a HUGE difference.

Really pleased with the JBL and they didn't break the bank.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:02 AM

The more I think about my setup and how/where I want to spend my time mixing, the more that I think I'm going to go with a nice pair of headphones.

I'll track with my pair of closed back ATH-M50x's and mix on a pair of Shure SRH1840's with some sanity checks on my little Mackie CR3's.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:45 AM

I have never had a "Nice" pair of cans before and that would make a huge difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD