The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Default Connect Mixer or GoRack to Amp

I have this Fender Acoustasonic JR DSP amp and I was wondering if it is possible to hookup a small mixer for an extra mic or second acoustic guitar for really small venues.

Here is part of the manuals for your viewing:

Rear Panel

Front Panel

Also a link to the Manuals PDF file https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/...Junior_DSP.pdf
Old 03-30-2017, 01:25 PM

I'm a little confused, but I'll stumble forward anyway! If you have a small mixer, can you run the mics/inputs into the mixer, then to the GoRack, then to the amp? If you just need the GoRack for its processing (i.e., don't need the extra input), it should work in the FX loop of your amp.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:32 PM

I'm gonna need that extra input for at least a mic. The Gorack will probably work in the effects loop without issue but the mixer is the real question?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:33 PM

Can I go from an output on the mixer to the "J" port on the front of the amp?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobo View Post
Can I go from an output on the mixer to the "J" port on the front of the amp?
Yes. But just watch the output level of the mixer to avoid overdriving that input. You might also be able to use the FX return as an extra input (not a bad place to put the mixer signal if you don't need the effects and EQ of the regular inputs. But make sure it doesn't disconnect the regular inputs to do that.

Louis
Old 03-30-2017, 03:34 PM

Thank You Louis. i really appreciate the help.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:55 PM

I do this often. I use the cable for the effects loop. Plug the "tip" end into the left 1/4" out of the mixer and plug the "ring" end input of the right 1/4" out of the mixer. Plug the other end (TRS end) into "J" which accepts the stereo signal you are now sending. This will give you a fuller sound with spatial effects (reverb, delay, chorus) from your mixer.

I like it this way, but you may not. I do this often to powered speakers as well.

Just another option.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I do this often. I use the cable for the effects loop. Plug the "tip" end into the left 1/4" out of the mixer and plug the "ring" end input of the right 1/4" out of the mixer. Plug the other end (TRS end) into "J" which accepts the stereo signal you are now sending. This will give you a fuller sound with spatial effects (reverb, delay, chorus) from your mixer.

I like it this way, but you may not. I do this often to powered speakers as well.

Just another option.
So are you using two different types of cable here (TS & TRS) to have one from mixer out to J and the other out to FX loop?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:45 PM

Hi Mobo,
One like this.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...BFQRoCRnvw_wcB

Put the two TS ends into the right and left mixer outputs. Put the TRS end (sums the two mono left and right signal into single stereo) into the J input of the amp.

You can do whatever you like with the effects loop. My suggestion doesn't have anything to do with the effects loop. Let me know if you need a picture. Maybe I can make you one.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Hi Mobo,
One like this.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...BFQRoCRnvw_wcB

Put the two TS ends into the right and left mixer outputs. Put the TRS end (sums the two mono left and right signal into single stereo) into the J input of the amp.

You can do whatever you like with the effects loop. My suggestion doesn't have anything to do with the effects loop. Let me know if you need a picture. Maybe I can make you one.
That sounds simple enough. I just ordered a cable..Thanks a million..
Old 03-31-2017, 09:01 PM

One thing. That "J" input accepts both TS and TRS inputs, but I don't see any indication that it's a stereo input (or one that sums to mono). Maybe it's balanced, although probably not (note that the "I" input is clearly identified as balanced). "J" accepts a balanced TRS signal, but probably unbalances it, taking the tip and the sleeve, but essentially "ignoring" the ring.

In any case, unless it is a stereo TRS input, there's no point using a "Y" cable to put both the left and right inputs from the mixer into the amp. The left output from the mixer to the "J" input with a simple instrument cable with 1/4" connectors (if both are 1/4") should be just fine (XLR to 1/4" if the mixer has XLR outs only). If the "J" input is balanced and the outputs of the mixer are too, then you could use a TRS to TRS or XLR to TRS cable to retain the balancing. But I suspect you won't get stereo spatial effects (or stereo at all) using a "Y" cable.

Marty C: are you sure you're not just getting one channel (the one that's going through the "tip" conductor of your "Y" cable)? I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that Fender would say something if that "J" input was actually a stereo input that sums to mono.

Louis
Old 04-01-2017, 05:31 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
One thing. That "J" input accepts both TS and TRS inputs, but I don't see any indication that it's a stereo input (or one that sums to mono). Maybe it's balanced, although probably not (note that the "I" input is clearly identified as balanced). "J" accepts a balanced TRS signal, but probably unbalances it, taking the tip and the sleeve, but essentially "ignoring" the ring.

In any case, unless it is a stereo TRS input, there's no point using a "Y" cable to put both the left and right inputs from the mixer into the amp. The left output from the mixer to the "J" input with a simple instrument cable with 1/4" connectors (if both are 1/4") should be just fine (XLR to 1/4" if the mixer has XLR outs only). If the "J" input is balanced and the outputs of the mixer are too, then you could use a TRS to TRS or XLR to TRS cable to retain the balancing. But I suspect you won't get stereo spatial effects (or stereo at all) using a "Y" cable.

Marty C: are you sure you're not just getting one channel (the one that's going through the "tip" conductor of your "Y" cable)? I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that Fender would say something if that "J" input was actually a stereo input that sums to mono.

Louis
You are correct Lschwart. I don't have the amp so I don't know 100% if it does. I should have stated that. I did assume since the amp lists itself as stereo and all effects are stereo, I assumed any TRS input would be for stereo and support the stereo input signal.

Sorry for any confusion Mobo. I guess you can try and see. I do this with my amp and I have been pleased with the sound. Again sorry if I misstated that, but I still think you will be happy with the result. If not, I hope you can return the cable.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:33 AM

I'm going to try it. No harm in that..
Old 04-01-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobo View Post
I'm going to try it. No harm in that..
That's true!

Let us know how it goes.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification