The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default I live for these moments

You pick up your guitar and your playing, plodding along, and whatever you playing feels dull and gritty. And then something happens and you’re flying. The world disappears and it’s just you and your guitar. Or you and your guitar and your voice. And you know that you would live in this moment forever if you could. Because it’s the best. The most connected. The most in harmony. Timeless. Wondrous.

And then you’re back in earthly time. And it’s OK and it’s good. And you know you’ve touched a flame that can never be extinguished. That you will seek forever. Even if you give up playing for years you remember that flame. The flame may become an ember. But it burns inside you. That light. That joy. That ease. And if you’re lucky and have faith and desire, a spark will come along and ignite that ember. And the world will disappear and you’ll be back to that timeless wonder.

Last edited by KarenB; 03-30-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
You pick up your guitar and your playing, plodding along, and whatever you playing feels dull and gritty. And then something happens and you’re flying. The world disappears and it’s just you and your guitar. Or you and your guitar and your voice. And you know that you would live in this moment forever if you could. Because it’s the best. The most connected. The most in harmony. Timeless. Wondrous.

And then you’re back in earthly time. And it’s OK and it’s good. And you know you’ve touched a flame that can never be extinguished. That you will seek forever. Even if you give up playing for years you remember that flame. The flame may become an ember. But it burns inside you. That light. That joy. That ease. And if you’re lucky and have faith and desire, a spark will come along and ignite that ember. And the world will disappear and you’ll be back to that timeless wonder.
I like looking at it in this manner rather than whether one has "talent" or not (or more or less than the next person). To me, desire can trump talent. It is the level of desire we have that produces results. The more consistently we practice/play the guitar, the more we fan that flame the OP is talking about.

It is interesting to read about writers and the issues they deal with because so much more seems to have been written by and about them, then for the guitar from the day to day practical perspective. This makes sense, since they are writers, after all.

I have read quite consistently that the writers who are successful (i.e. whether or not commercially successful, they produce material), have a time every day without fail, that they sit and write. It is only by doing that, that they occasionally experience "the muse" and write something truly inspired. These folks write quite consistently about how waiting for the muse is a complete waste of time, that it is only by being consistent in their practice that anything worthwhile happens, and it doesn't happen all that often. By being there, practicing their art, they will be there when inspiration comes. If inspiration comes and nobody is home, nothing happens. Waiting for the muse before doing anything, means that nobody is home when inspiration visits.

So the experience that the OP is describing does come to the musician who actively applies him or herself to the art. It isn't for the chosen few (some have it, some just don't). It is for those who seek it consistently, and therefore are "home when the muse arrives". Or, as another famous program says, "half measures availed us nothing".

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Happens every time I pick up the guitar and play. It's why I keep at it. Video games are cool also.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-30-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Yes, music is transcendent. I boil it down to this:

Surrender is the key. Let the music play you. Remove the "I" from the equation.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I guess that's why I've been doing it for fifty years.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-31-2017, 11:47 PM

OP: Beautiful! Yes, BTDT

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Yes, music is transcendent. I boil it down to this:

Surrender is the key. Let the music play you. Remove the "I" from the equation.
Wyllys, I love your "boil down"!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 04-02-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:

I love your very poetic description of what sounds like a flow state, where you and the guitar are one and completely in the moment. I agree with Wyllyss, surrender is key and that means to turn off the inner critic and release all expectations and considerations. The warmth of the flame draws you. Go with it.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write