The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 AM

Default adding subwoofer

We are an acoustic duo, overall our volumes are fairly low. We have a Fishman Solo SA220 as our small-venue PA, run though a Mackie ProFX12 mixer. We want to add a powered sub-woofer to round out our sound, I'm leaning toward a 12" Beringer B1200D, which has an adjustable crossover, lots of inputs/outputs.

Fishman advised me to route the signal from the mixer to the SA220, and then use it's 'monitor out' or 'post di out' to run the sub.

I've read some bloggers who are running from the mixer to the sub, and then the SA220, using the crossover in the sub to restrict the frequencies sent to the Fishman.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Duolh
Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 AM

My advice is to keep it as simple as possible. In this case, sell the SA220 rather than cobbling together something that may (or likely) not give you the sound you want and shop for a complete/comprehensive system that can give you what you need now and grow in to. If you want to stick with a line-array system, I would get one with a sub built in that has separate control for the treble and bass speakers. They exist and (to me) are better than a bass-less line-array column. Otherwise I would go with a powered speaker system with some on-board EQ capability driven by a quality powered mixer.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 03-27-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:21 AM

Default SA220

I am thinking you will get a better response if this were in the Acoustic Amplification forum instead of here. Some pretty knowledgable folks hang out there.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:33 AM

Default adding subwoofer

Follow Fishman's advice. Purchase the sub from a store that you can return it to. Getting the levels balanced is sometimes a chore. I would buy a sub not much bigger than the one they sell with the new SA330X. The new Fishman uses an 8" sub, so that should tell you a lot. It's not designed to rock the dance floor. Maybe go 10"?

Clearly their engineers have given it some though. A big 12" sub might sound a bit unbalanced.

Using the monitor out is the correct option. The sub should be providing reinforcement for 200Hz and below. You can also try sub first, and see if you get cleaner sound, but I suspect the array will sound too tinny unless it gets close to full spectrum. The SA uses larger speakers than the Bose sticks.

Alternatively, if you want to stick with the small portable system, but want some more power and low end, for acoustic music, consider the JBL EON One. You can sell your system and buy the JBL for the same money you'd spend on a sub.

The suggestions below for a full scale PA system depend your needs and willingness to carry a lot of equipment.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-27-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 AM

Here's my advice:

Sell the Fishman (they are going for around $600 used). The sub you are wanting is $300 new.

Use that money and buy a used set of Yamaha Club Series 12" speaker cabs and the Yamaha head that matches them. They have very usable built-in effects. I have done hours of research for PA systems and talked to people who actually play music and own sound equipment, and outside of the QSC powered speakers, this is your best bet. I wanted to go with something cheaper, like Behringer, but after comparing them to the Yamaha speakers, there was absolutely NO comparison. This will sound head-and-shoulders above and beyond your current, and your proposed, set-up.

The only probably is actually FINDING a used set of Club-series 12" Yamaha speakers. Why? Because everyone who buys them, keeps them! I looked for over a year trying to find a set of used 12" club-series speakers. I ended up having to drive 1hr 45min each way to get a set that were used, but I got a set of two 12" Yamaha Clubs speakers, a very decent Crate powered head, and two 12" yamaha monitors for $475. It's absolutely the best PA system I've ever owned, and it sounds incredible. It's a great system, and I can't say enough about it. Small enough and quiet enough (no hissssss) to play a small winery and big enough to play outside to about 500 college kids. I know this because I've done both with the same system.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 03-27-2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Grammar and mechanical errors. :)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Without getting technical (don't know enough to get technical). Stay small & "musical" with the sub. Some brands are advertised as being more responsive, i.e. musical, than others. I've bought & sold stuff on the Audiogon forum. You can find good deals there.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:10 AM

You all are giving me great info, thank you so much !!!

I failed to mention that I'm old and have back issues, so keeping it light is important, and the Berhinger is pretty light and I can use a little two wheeler to get it around. Also I can use a pole in the top of it to mount the Fishman and save space on small stages. I have an L1 Model 1 that's just too big for small gigs and I've had feedback problems in tight quarters with it. The Fishman has a feedback eliminator on both channels that I'm hoping will help, it sure does on my little Fishman Artist amp.

Duolh
Old 03-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Behringer B1200D weight = 46.5lbs.

Yamaha S112V 2-way speaker = 45.8lbs.

Just sayin'.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:15 PM

I'm no expert, but ... seems like you'd want to go from the mixer to the sub to the SA220 to take advantage of the sub's crossover.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:29 PM

Sell it, buy a couple of decent powered speakers ... for example, I just scored a minty pair of EV ZLX-12P's for $400. All the bass you need, without complicating matters, and scalable for larger venues. Peavey's Pvxp line is inexpensive and sound great, too. Unless you're in concert environments, you don't need to spend a fortune on powered speakers.

In my personal experience I've never heard any "stick" that sounded better than a pair of decent powered speakers.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

I'm with martingitdave and I'll second this wise counsel and add that MF and Sweetwater each have the JBL EON One for $899 right now.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:32 PM

Touche PorkPieGuy !

Thanks to all for your input.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I'm with martingitdave and I'll second this wise counsel and add that MF and Sweetwater each have the JBL EON One for $899 right now.

Wow! I was two weeks too early. $799 plus negotiation opportunity.

http://www.prosoundgear.com/shop/spe...ray-pa-system/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duolh View Post
We are an acoustic duo, overall our volumes are fairly low. We have a Fishman Solo SA220 as our small-venue PA, run though a Mackie ProFX12 mixer. We want to add a powered sub-woofer to round out our sound, I'm leaning toward a 12" Beringer B1200D, which has an adjustable crossover, lots of inputs/outputs.

Fishman advised me to route the signal from the mixer to the SA220, and then use it's 'monitor out' or 'post di out' to run the sub.

I've read some bloggers who are running from the mixer to the sub, and then the SA220, using the crossover in the sub to restrict the frequencies sent to the Fishman.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Duolh
Whatever instruments need the sub, dial in your monitor / aux for those channels and run the monitor/aux send to the sub. I do this with a Yamaha MG16XU using a Kustom 12" powered sub ($200 at Musician's Friend and under 48lbs with a pole Hole for your Fishman) with Kustom PA 50 tops and it sounds incredible.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 03-27-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:13 AM

We use a bass guitar in our trio.
The sub works good at keeping those
Low freq out of our k10s. If you do alot
Of drop d stuff you may notice the sub enhances
The lower freq of the guitar... but most subs
On the mkt dont respond high enough to
Enhance acoustic inst...and they are all heavy.
Perhaps selling the fishstick and buying a k12
Qsc speaker would be more to your liking.
They have a deep switch to enhance lows.
Schertler i think makes some specialized acoustic guitar
Subs that have always peaked my interest.
Any array speaker is just not quite there in the
Bass response dept. For me anyway...close
But not quite. Unless they have a sub like bose.
Schertler "Tom" system is spendy but cool.light
With a sub.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification