The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicJohn View Post
Hello everyone. I just purchased this looper and as I am trying to learn it, I find that the volume while looping jumps up and stays higher until I cancel/erase a loop. When I wrote to TC Support, and they said this:

"First of all, no reason to be worry, your pedal is not faulty. Actually most of time this issue is about impedance miss match. Let me give you some interesting information on the Ditto Looper. The impedance of the Ditto changes according the different bypasses, true bypass and buffered bypass. The dry signal is true bypass and the recorded signal is buffered bypass. Different bypasses = different impedance. Sometimes it works fine but sometimes it is gonna be a problem. In order to record audio, usually all loopers need to have buffered bypass circuit. That is because the signal has to pass through the DSP to be recorded.
The Ditto Looper and Ditto X2 also are really true bypass devices. With Ditto we made the first true bypass looper that works through a super fast relay that switches the pedal from true bypass to buffered bypass once the recording switch is pressed. This way, you get your dry signal true bypassed without any coloration when not recording. You can hear the relay every time you turn the looper 'On' or 'Off' as a little click sound that comes from the relay inside the pedal. It guides the signal in the true bypass circuit when you turn it 'Off' and through buffered bypass when you turn the Ditto 'On'.
Sometimes it does not matter but sometimes it changes the level between the bypassing state of the Ditto X2 and the recording state, resulting in volume changes.
Most of time you can fix the issue using a buffer to the output of the Ditto. You can use a only buffer pedal box as our BonaFide Buffer:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/bonafide-buffer/main/
The other option will be to use a pedal with buffered bypass (like our Flashback Delay, Hall Of Fame Reverb, Corona Chorus, etc) to connect after your Ditto X2. You should be able to solve the impedance issue, so the level should be equal between bypass and recorded level.[/B]

Bottom line: I have to buy another pedal for $70 to make the $170 ditto pedal work!!!!!!!...Are you kidding me???

Any feedback before I ship this out.....
How many pedals are in your chain and are they all true bypass? The description TC gave you is accurate but I can't imagine you getting such a significant volume jump going from true bypass to buffered unless your chain is fairly long. A buffer generally restores the high end but it can bump the volume. It's actually a good idea to have a buffer somewhere in your chain so getting on wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:33 PM

Not sure I understand... you mean that you record an initial loop, and it plays back once at one volume, and then when it comes back around it is then louder, without adding another loop nor using the volume knob ?

If you haven't used loopers before , bear in mind that by nature the loop playback will get a bit louder as you add more layers. Perceived volume is somewhat subjective and there is no perfect way to mix audio signals that have different frequencies in such a way as to avoid a perceived volume change at least by some people.

Your overall looper output is of course controlled by the big volume knob. You'll need to get used to using it on the fly with your foot.

I doubt there is a real impedance issue here. But in some rigs you could go preamp - looper - power amp/speaker so that you are getting a more conventional signal at the looper rather than a very high impedance signal which comes from a piezo.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicJohn View Post
Hello everyone. I just purchased this looper and as I am trying to learn it, I find that the volume while looping jumps up and stays higher until I cancel/erase a loop. When I wrote to TC Support, and they said this:

"First of all, no reason to be worry, your pedal is not faulty. Actually most of time this issue is about impedance miss match. Let me give you some interesting information on the Ditto Looper. The impedance of the Ditto changes according the different bypasses, true bypass and buffered bypass. The dry signal is true bypass and the recorded signal is buffered bypass. Different bypasses = different impedance. Sometimes it works fine but sometimes it is gonna be a problem. In order to record audio, usually all loopers need to have buffered bypass circuit. That is because the signal has to pass through the DSP to be recorded.
The Ditto Looper and Ditto X2 also are really true bypass devices. With Ditto we made the first true bypass looper that works through a super fast relay that switches the pedal from true bypass to buffered bypass once the recording switch is pressed. This way, you get your dry signal true bypassed without any coloration when not recording. You can hear the relay every time you turn the looper 'On' or 'Off' as a little click sound that comes from the relay inside the pedal. It guides the signal in the true bypass circuit when you turn it 'Off' and through buffered bypass when you turn the Ditto 'On'.
Sometimes it does not matter but sometimes it changes the level between the bypassing state of the Ditto X2 and the recording state, resulting in volume changes.
Most of time you can fix the issue using a buffer to the output of the Ditto. You can use a only buffer pedal box as our BonaFide Buffer:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/bonafide-buffer/main/
The other option will be to use a pedal with buffered bypass (like our Flashback Delay, Hall Of Fame Reverb, Corona Chorus, etc) to connect after your Ditto X2. You should be able to solve the impedance issue, so the level should be equal between bypass and recorded level.[/B]

Bottom line: I have to buy another pedal for $70 to make the $170 ditto pedal work!!!!!!!...Are you kidding me???

Any feedback before I ship this out.....
that doesn't surprise me in the slightest John, I noticed this right from the outset... and well.... I've gave up with it, just put mine up for sale!

Michael
Old 03-30-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsb1 View Post
that doesn't surprise me in the slightest John, I noticed this right from the outset... and well.... I've gave up with it, just put mine up for sale!

Michael
I posted above but read the original message again and I too am confused by the issue here. Can you explain what volume increase you noticed?
Old 04-16-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Solution to static & pop sound in loop

My dad purchased the Ditto X2. Worked fine the 1st day and 2nd day nothing but static & pop in the loop playback. I figured out how to solve this. Simultaneously Press & hold down the Loop & FX button while holding the Store switch in the up position. Hold them down until the lights flash yellow and then a quick green. You should hear a soft click sound in the Ditto. Release buttons and then you're all set to start. It's a long hold so be patient. Worked like a charm. You're welcome.😁

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification