The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-30-2016, 06:59 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Active Melody lessons

Anyone try this? I joined for a year, $70, otherwise its $10 a month. I'm thinking that's like buying 10 $7 lessons from other sites, well worth it. All tab can be downloaded. Link below if anyone wants to check it out. I was working on lesson the Delta Blues lesson EP145 (what a surprise).

www.activemelody.com

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-30-2016, 02:34 PM

I think his lessons are good....but he rambles too much for me. IMO
Old 07-30-2016, 02:43 PM

I've been using this site off & on for almost a year. Very nice, bluesy stuff. A lot of the lessons are played on an electric, but can be done on acoustic., Brian does a great job of working a little theory into each piece to provide some background on the chord shapes & scales that the various licks are coming from. He e-mails out a new lesson every week or so, and you have access to all past lessons as well as several comprehensive " courses" - Beginner, Blues, and Hendrix Rhythm Guitar
I think it is a great tool for developing improvisation skills and being able to move away from the first five frets and utilize the whole fretboard.
I recently discovered his Blues lead guitar course. Many lick examples with the pentatonic scales & positions they are derived from along with backing tracks. It looks like a great way to expand your "vocabulary" for improvisation in blues as well as other genres.
I'm pretty sure that I will renew when my annual membership expires in another month or two.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:03 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
I think his lessons are good....but he rambles too much for me. IMO
I know, but I'd rather that than someone who goes too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol46 View Post
I've been using this site off & on for almost a year. Very nice, bluesy stuff. A lot of the lessons are played on an electric, but can be done on acoustic., Brian does a great job of working a little theory into each piece to provide some background on the chord shapes & scales that the various licks are coming from. He e-mails out a new lesson every week or so, and you have access to all past lessons as well as several comprehensive " courses" - Beginner, Blues, and Hendrix Rhythm Guitar
I think it is a great tool for developing improvisation skills and being able to move away from the first five frets and utilize the whole fretboard.
I recently discovered his Blues lead guitar course. Many lick examples with the pentatonic scales & positions they are derived from along with backing tracks. It looks like a great way to expand your "vocabulary" for improvisation in blues as well as other genres.
I'm pretty sure that I will renew when my annual membership expires in another month or two.
I had started with Lesson EP145, Delta Blues. During the lesson he mentioned that the Blues Lead course should be done, so I started the blues lead and will go back and forth between the two. This is good because I should learn all of the pentatonic scales and might as well learn all the note names up the neck while I'm doing it. Once I get over the 5th fret I have to start using my toes ....

This is well worth the money.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write