The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Taylor style replacement bridges

I'm building a guitar from scratch (with help from some friends) and am at the point where I'm trying to make a bridge from a rosewood blank but I'm looking for an alternative in case I screw it up, particulary the saddle slot. My plans call for a Taylor style bridge but all I can find with regards to replacement bridges are Martin or Gibson style. Does anyone out there sell Taylor style bridges?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 PM

I got some bridge templates from Waldron Instruments
https://www.waldronmusic.com/index.php I did not see a finished bridge on the site but he makes a very nice Taylor style template.
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM

Thanks, but I actually would prefer the finished product. I actually made a plexiglass template based on the Official Luthier's Forum (medium jumbo) plans that I purchased from Stewmac. My issue is that I don't particularly find Stewmac's Precision Router Base couple with the Saddle Slotting jig all that precise because there's no plumb function and leveling the tool is a bit ambiguous as well. I ordered a 3/32" carbide bit for my Dremel and despite my best efforts I end up with a slot that's 1/8" wide.

Otherwise I think I'm okay with using a drill instead of a drill press to drill out the pin holes. I can get pretty accurte measurements thanks to a 6" digital caliper from Harbor Freight. The rest of it I can do with my little 9" band saw and the grinding wheel on my little Dremel 300.

Here's how the latter steps came out on my first attempt. Note the slop on the saddle slot:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair