The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-30-2017, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Excellent--- nice tune and great recording nice balanced sound
Hi Kev,

Thank you! I'm glad you think the sound is well balanced -- I do, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Sounds Great Glenn. Love the composition and your guitar playing is excellent and your D-35 sounds and looks awesome.

I've got a '69 D-35 Brazilian that I absolutely love. Those old hand carved necks add such great character to the instrument.

Again ... well done Sir.
Thanks for your comments, Steve! How cool that you have a '69 D-35 with BRW! I imagine our guitars sound very similar to each other.

I was at an AGF gathering a few years ago and met a fellow with another 1967 Martin D-35. We both had D'Addario EJ16 (PB, light) strings on our guitars at the time, and it was really quite astounding how close the two sounded to each other. He had recently picked his up from someone who had not played the guitar nearly as much as I had played mine, so his D-35 had a lot fewer dings in it. His looked almost like a new guitar!

- Glenn
Old 03-30-2017, 08:03 PM
AGF Administrator

I'd say dreads work just fine for fingerstyle. In fact, member bbrown has posted his fingerstyle stuff here a lot with his Collings dread.

I enjoyed watching/listening.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I'd say dreads work just fine for fingerstyle. In fact, member bbrown has posted his fingerstyle stuff here a lot with his Collings dread.

I enjoyed watching/listening.
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks so much for watching and for commenting!

- Glenn
Old 03-30-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hey Glenn,
Well now you gone and done it.

Thrown a wrench into the works.

Fingerpicked a narrow necked dread.

The forum goes berserk.

Sounds fabulous, well recorded, and you play it very well. So nice to put a face & musicality to the name.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Dogs and Cats living together...mass hysteria

Glenn,
Lovely playing and the guitar sounds terrific. Of course, I have reported you to the moderators, your AGF account will be suspended for 2 weeks to teach you a lesson and serve as an example of what can happen to newer members. If everyone takes up playing fingerstyle on their D guitars, then we won't have anymore NGD threads because the only reason ANY of us buy new guitars is because we've narrowed down what each body size/shape is capable of. Jeez dude, what are you....a MANIAC?

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 03-30-2017, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Dogs and Cats living together...mass hysteria

Glenn,
Lovely playing and the guitar sounds terrific. Of course, I have reported you to the moderators, your AGF account will be suspended for 2 weeks to teach you a lesson and serve as an example of what can happen to newer members. If everyone takes up playing fingerstyle on their D guitars, then we won't have anymore NGD threads because the only reason ANY of us buy new guitars is because we've narrowed down what each body size/shape is capable of. Jeez dude, what are you....a MANIAC?

Jimmy
Hi Jimmy -- Thanks for listening and thanks for reporting me to the moderators!!! I know those folks fairly well, but they may not give me a lot of rope here in breaking the no-dread-rule-for-fingerstyle.

Thanks for listening and commenting!

- Glenn
Old 03-31-2017, 04:21 AM

Beautiful guitar and song

Had add that I found myself drawn to the black of the fretboard lol

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 03-31-2017, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Beautiful guitar and song

Had add that I found myself drawn to the black of the fretboard lol
Hi Riakstonic,

Thank you for the comments and for listening.

The fingerboard is quite black, isn' it... I was looking closely at the fretboard just the other day and realized that there are quite a few worn patches on the fingerboard surface, like divots, from all the years and many hours that I have played this guitar. I don't suppose that is all that unusual in an old guitar with a lot of playing time on it, but I found this interesting.

It has certainly been a well-loved guitar!

- Glenn
Old 03-31-2017, 11:32 AM

I enjoyed listening to that Glenn - very relaxing and peaceful. Wish I could make my Dreadnought sound like that!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Gilmour View Post
I enjoyed listening to that Glenn - very relaxing and peaceful. Wish I could make my Dreadnought sound like that!
Hi Ryan,

Thank you for watching and commenting! I have felt very lucky for the last 50 years, ever since my dad gave me that guitar. It took me quite a while to feel worthy of such a guitar. I don't know if I ever really got to the point where I felt worthy; I think I just accepted that this was my guitar!

Thank you again!
- Glenn
Old 03-31-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Riakstonic,

Thank you for the comments and for listening.

The fingerboard is quite black, isn' it... I was looking closely at the fretboard just the other day and realized that there are quite a few worn patches on the fingerboard surface, like divots, from all the years and many hours that I have played this guitar. I don't suppose that is all that unusual in an old guitar with a lot of playing time on it, but I found this interesting.

It has certainly been a well-loved guitar!

- Glenn
Some folks like a scalloped fretboard and pay to have it done you did it yourself for free lol
As long as it doesn't effect your playing your ok with it your all good . That's a beauty of a guitar down the rd you could have the fret board replaced

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 03-31-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Some folks like a scalloped fretboard and pay to have it done you did it yourself for free lol
As long as it doesn't effect your playing your ok with it your all good . That's a beauty of a guitar down the rd you could have the fret board replaced
I had a discussion with the technician I have used for almost 4 decades now, and his attitude was that the divots in my fretboard were no big deal and that he had seen way worse with no playing issues. He thought it made this old guitar look cool.

Take care!
- Glenn
Old 04-01-2017, 04:29 AM

Glenn,

Your recording sounds wonderful. Like Jeremy said, I do all my stuff with a dread, classical pieces included. Sometimes I think I'm doing something illegal, but I have stuck with it for many years and found that I can play gentle soft stuff as well as loud and raucous by how much pressure I put on the strings.

I started out this way because it's what John Fahey & Leo Kottke did, and they are the reason I started playing guitar in the first place. I didn't know any better. Elisabeth Cotton played her's upside down and backwards - it's how she picked it up the first time! Bottom line - there's no set rules as long as it sounds good.

Sometimes I do wish I had a classical that I could record well. I've tried without much success - the recordings just always sound better with my big ol' dreadnaught.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 04-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
Glenn,

Your recording sounds wonderful. Like Jeremy said, I do all my stuff with a dread, classical pieces included. Sometimes I think I'm doing something illegal, but I have stuck with it for many years and found that I can play gentle soft stuff as well as loud and raucous by how much pressure I put on the strings.

I started out this way because it's what John Fahey & Leo Kottke did, and they are the reason I started playing guitar in the first place. I didn't know any better. Elisabeth Cotton played her's upside down and backwards - it's how she picked it up the first time! Bottom line - there's no set rules as long as it sounds good.

Sometimes I do wish I had a classical that I could record well. I've tried without much success - the recordings just always sound better with my big ol' dreadnaught.
Hi William,

Thanks for your informative response. I have listened to some of your recordings, most recently your version of Les Barricades Mysterieuses played on your Collings D2HG dreadnought, which I thought sounded REALLY good. So you clearly know how to get good sound from your dreadnought played with your fingers.

I do note that you have a Cervantes Crossover 1, and I do, too. I made this recording a little while ago using my Cervantes and I thought the guitar sound came out fairly well.

Learning to get good sound from a nylon string guitar is a bit of a challenge when a person (like me) is used to using a steel string guitar. I imagine that is your challenge, too.

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to view the video and post your comments here. It's greatly appreciated!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell