The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-04-2016, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Finger slap?

As I record more music, I'm noticing that my pinky and ring finger (which I plant) tends to hit the top of the guitar when I strum hard, causing a tapping sound. It's more obvious on lightly built guitars. So, where in the technique realm am I going wrong? Any videos on this?

Todd
Old 08-05-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
As I record more music, I'm noticing that my pinky and ring finger (which I plant) tends to hit the top of the guitar when I strum hard, causing a tapping sound. It's more obvious on lightly built guitars. So, where in the technique realm am I going wrong? Any videos on this?

Todd
I broke myself of my planting habit. I had this issue too. I go back to planting for certain times when I want the fingerslap for a percussive effect. Planting limits you, knock it off
Old 08-05-2016, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Todd
Don't plant. Problem solved.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…So, where in the technique realm am I going wrong? Any videos on this?
Hi Todd

Unless you are putting weight on the pinky and ring which you say you plant, then that's not the issue. Too many world class players drop a pinky and/or ring finger to the top without issue, and without it cramping their style.

The only video you need is a video of yourself playing which you can then analyze and spot the issues you need to correct. Unless you want the tapping sound, you will need to stop hitting the top of the guitar with your fingers when you strum.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-05-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Todd
Unless you are putting weight on the pinky and ring which you say you plant, then that's not the issue. Too many world class players drop a pinky and/or ring finger to the top without issue, and without it cramping their style.
Yup. I don't really "plant" so much as touch the top when I need to keep my bearings (like with cross-picking), and I'll get the tapping sound sometimes, too. For me at least, it's usually a result of trying to play too hard or too fast. So I'd say try to back off and focus on controlling your right hand, then build back up to speed/volume. I don't know of a specific technique that would help, other than practicing slowly.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I plant with the banjo and on the rare occasion when I finger pick guitar. When strumming I guess it's not so much planting as having my pinky lightly on the top as a guide. I think some of the issue might come from me holding the guitar at a slight tilt instead of straight up and down. I need to work on that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write