The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-31-2016, 02:17 AM

Default Travis Picking - FINALLY!

Well....

It finally happened.

You know that moment when your kids suddenly learn to ride their bike?

From tottering and falling, the pedals start to turn and they're off...

Well, I've never been able to GET travis picking.

I play DADGAD celtic, Jazz and electric stuff...but have never been able to click with the Chet/Travis/Emmanuel 'boom-chick'...

But today, it's finally happened!

And nobody in my house could care less...the just don't want to hear 'Baby's Coming Home' for the thousandth time.

So ,I came to the only place where anyone would understand the struggle...

Hurrah!

Cheers!

Next stop - this will be me...

D
Old 07-31-2016, 03:22 AM

nice cover of freight train, and great playing!! But as I found out in my other thread on this subject what your doing isn't travis picking. Just fingerpicking / fingerstyle or Chet Atkins style
Old 07-31-2016, 03:35 AM

Ha!

Good grief - that's not me! Martin Tallstrom is one of the best pickers in the world...

And I don't know who's being nit-picky around here on other threads, is someone spreading an ultra orthodox doctrine of Travis picking as having no melody line or somesuch?

An alternating-thumb bass line, with simultaneously played, syncopated chords is travis picking...in my opinion. Sure, Chet embellished on it with melody lines, but 90% of guitarists would recognise what I meant by the term.

The point being - I have been playing 'fingerstyle' for ten years or more, and guitar in general for thirty...and play many arrangements - for example I will play Tommy's Angelina, or similar - but have never mastered the Travis style/Chet Atkins picking.

And I was sure some here would appreciate my frustration finally ending...

D

Last edited by DamianL; 07-31-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
Well....

It finally happened.

You know that moment when your kids suddenly learn to ride their bike?

From tottering and falling, the pedals start to turn and they're off...

I play DADGAD celtic, Jazz and electric stuff...but have never been able to click with the Chet/Travis/Emmanuel 'boom-chick'...

But today, it's finally happened!

And nobody in my house could care less...the just don't want to hear 'Baby's Coming Home' for the thousandth time.

So ,I came to the only place where anyone would understand the struggle...

Hurrah!

Cheers!

Next stop - this will be me...

D
About fell off my chair. So true in my house. My wife and kids have grown up around my playing but I was already past the a-ha moments when I got married at 29 Y/O. Since then the family has suffered me and never acquired any respect for the me part of my devotion to the art. So it goes.

Congrats on your break-through. I learned the style from day one with a Mel Bay Merle Travis style instructional book and a book of chords. That'd be back in 1973. Have fun with it and learn to use it dynamically, IOW, mix it with other patterns and it will wear well with you and your audience.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:23 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Very cool. Its nice when you have that "moment."

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-31-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Weird, huh?
Travis picking/alt thumb/pick bass note, whatever, came like candy to me.
I will be 200 years old before I play barre chords.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ha!

Good grief - that's not me! Martin Tallstrom is one of the best pickers in the world...

And I don't know who's being nit-picky around here on other threads, is someone spreading an ultra orthodox doctrine of Travis picking as having no melody line or somesuch?

An alternating-thumb bass line, with simultaneously played, syncopated chords is travis picking...in my opinion. Sure, Chet embellished on it with melody lines, but 90% of guitarists would recognise what I meant by the term.

The point being - I have been playing 'fingerstyle' for ten years or more, and guitar in general for thirty...and play many arrangements - for example I will play Tommy's Angelina, or similar - but have never mastered the Travis style/Chet Atkins picking.

And I was sure some here would appreciate my frustration finally ending...

D
As you say the gist of that youtube is Travis (alternate thumb) style music - as usual other embellishments are included of course.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-31-2016, 11:56 AM

Last edited by Alex6strings; 08-09-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:04 PM

Yes, I couldn't be more chuffed!

Ha...

I can play classical pieces etc with a lot of effort, but the finger independence aspect has always been a struggle..and the metronomic rigidity required has been a weakness.

I have always loved this piece - Baby's Coming Home...and the desire to play it just overcame my natural laziness!

I agree - we should always been trying to improve something in our playing, no matter what level we are at...

And he best thing?

Having the technique down is now going to open up a whole world of new tunes to learn!

I headed straight to Amazon and bought this -

https://www.amazon.com/Travis-Pick-H.../dp/0936799307

Mark Hanson is a great teacher and I can't wait to get stuck in!

D

Last edited by DamianL; 07-31-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:44 PM

Last edited by Alex6strings; 08-09-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:32 PM

Congratulations to you!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
nice cover of freight train, and great playing!! But as I found out in my other thread on this subject what your doing isn't travis picking. Just fingerpicking / fingerstyle or Chet Atkins style
That's being a little too strict with definition (and maybe misunderstanding the other thread). The only thing that would make the above video not travis picking is that he's using more than just thumb and index - so it's not quite as Merle Travis himself would have played it. But it sounds exactly like Travis picking, damped bass and all. Most people (at least in the US, AFAIK) would call it Travis picking. Most people who play in what they would call "travis picking" use middle and maybe ring as well as index.
So to say it isn't is being a little too, er, picky. (IMO)

That is, there are various kinds of "fingerstyle" that are worth differentiating. One is what we might call "alternate bass" (or alternate thumb), and that has its own set of variations - arguably less worth differentiating - of which travis picking is one. And this video sounds exactly like that, to my ears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write