The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kwasnycia View Post
Spanish Cider
Is that like sangria?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Is that like sangria?
Wow how did that happen? all fixed I could have said, it's a mythical wood nobody is using but me.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:46 AM

Dennis has been working on the fingerboard and binding. I think the maple is going to look lovely with these wood choices. I'm really excited about how this is coming together.

Cheers,
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2681.jpg (37.3 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2687.jpg (34.1 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2683.jpg (38.3 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2693.jpg (32.0 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2673.jpg (24.0 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2699.jpg (30.8 KB, 258 views)
Old 12-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Looking good fellas. I don't think there are enough baritones in the world. I'm glad to see that you are doing your part to change that!
Old 12-12-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Looking good fellas. I don't think there are enough baritones in the world. I'm glad to see that you are doing your part to change that!
Changing the world, one baritone at a time....

That should be an AGF bumper sticker.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:55 AM

I've always enjoyed Dennis' build threads over the years. One day I'm hoping to have an opportunity to play one of his guitars.

Mark Allen - Congrats!!! I wonder how many people have 3 of Dennis' guitars? If I make it to Seattle I'm going to look you up.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've always enjoyed Dennis' build threads over the years. One day I'm hoping to have an opportunity to play one of his guitars.

Mark Allen - Congrats!!! I wonder how many people have 3 of Dennis' guitars? If I make it to Seattle I'm going to look you up.
Dru, anytime you find yourself out this way, you always have an open invitation to drop by and do a little jamming.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 12-27-2017, 07:36 PM

Dennis has continued to be hard at work on this beautiful Baritone. I received these just before the holiday and am finally finding time (and internet connection) to post them. I just love the way this is shaping up and am looking forward to a wonderful guitar.

Spending the holiday in Hawaii so "Aloha" to all.

Cheers,
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2707-1.jpg (34.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2706-1.jpg (33.4 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2709-1.jpg (32.5 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2705-1.jpg (32.5 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2704-1.jpg (24.3 KB, 178 views)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Musical minimalist

Love the rosette - and the Hormigo "the wood that sings" ought to make for a great guitar!

Old 01-01-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Love the rosette - and the Hormigo "the wood that sings" ought to make for a great guitar!
Thanks Todd, I'm really looking forward to this one. If you notice the first picture of the top it's marked "Bell". How can I go wrong with a top named Bell and a body that "sings".

Hopefully Dennis will chime in on his thoughts about this wood combo. From what he's told me thus far, he seems pretty impressed with the combination.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 01-01-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markallen View Post
Thanks Todd, I'm really looking forward to this one. If you notice the first picture of the top it's marked "Bell". How can I go wrong with a top named Bell and a body that "sings".

Hopefully Dennis will chime in on his thoughts about this wood combo. From what he's told me thus far, he seems pretty impressed with the combination.

Cheers,
Mark
As Mark as said, how can you go wrong with a top marked "The Bell" and a back and sides that has a nick name "the wood that sings".
When I first got some of the Lutz from my supplier, I noticed on of the tops with the words "the bell" on it, but also, "The Ringer" as well marked in a different spot. I checked the tap tone on all the boards and all were fantastic, but this one was noticeably more dynamic than the others. For the Hormigo, Nick named the wood that sings, is a wood used for making marimba keys, had quite a nice tap tone. This is the first time using this wood and right off the bat I found it to be quite nice. I didn't know how nice till I put the back, top and sides together. A lot of times, you will find before the binding is put on, by taping on the body, it is quite dull and muted. Brazilian Rosewood is an exception to this and even without binding on a guitar body, will ring very well. Not to say that there are not other woods that don't ring, but Brazilian is one of the best. Well, after using the Hormigo, Im thinking there is more power and clearly and more tap tone ring, than Brazilian Rosewood. Im really looking forward to the end result/finished guitar to see how well it really sings.
More to come this week, with the neck progress.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kwasnycia View Post
As Mark as said, how can you go wrong with a top marked "The Bell" and a back and sides that has a nick name "the wood that sings".
When I first got some of the Lutz from my supplier, I noticed on of the tops with the words "the bell" on it, but also, "The Ringer" as well marked in a different spot. I checked the tap tone on all the boards and all were fantastic, but this one was noticeably more dynamic than the others. For the Hormigo, Nick named the wood that sings, is a wood used for making marimba keys, had quite a nice tap tone. This is the first time using this wood and right off the bat I found it to be quite nice. I didn't know how nice till I put the back, top and sides together. A lot of times, you will find before the binding is put on, by taping on the body, it is quite dull and muted. Brazilian Rosewood is an exception to this and even without binding on a guitar body, will ring very well. Not to say that there are not other woods that don't ring, but Brazilian is one of the best. Well, after using the Hormigo, Im thinking there is more power and clearly and more tap tone ring, than Brazilian Rosewood. Im really looking forward to the end result/finished guitar to see how well it really sings.
More to come this week, with the neck progress.
It is beautiful stuff, and this guitar is coming together quite nicely.

Only thing not going for hormigo is its got to be the one of the worst names for a wood.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
It is beautiful stuff, and this guitar is coming together quite nicely.

Only thing not going for hormigo is its got to be the one of the worst names for a wood.

That could be. It also goes by the names Macacauba, Macawood, and orange Agate. The name Granadillo, may be a more failure name for some. It's scientific name is Platymiscium spp, but there are variations of this. Some of which are not known until the tree is cut, since they look identical.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

What a great looking instrument Dennis!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
What a great looking instrument Dennis!
Thanks David, I appreciate that!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop