The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-23-2017, 05:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm only bringing one guitar! That will be the so-called AGF dread. It is the only pristine contemporary instrument I own as there has been a rash of acquisition the last few months. I've just been playing it and making sure it looks as good as I think (it does), and it sounds good enough to me to stake my reputation on it.

But wait, there's more: Bob is bringing his recent BRW/Adi single 0, the one that competes successfully with pretty much any OM, according to reputable sources. NFS, of course, but it will make a believer of about anyone.

And, I loaned a guitar to my customer Tom Tsouris (with whom I am staying in Providence RI and, along with Bob, in Woodstock as well) last winter and we are going to put that on the table as well. That is my super light "Flamenco Amarillo" in Movingai and white spruce.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I'm only bringing one guitar! That will be the so-called AGF dread. It is the only pristine contemporary instrument I own as there has been a rash of acquisition the last few months. I've just been playing it and making sure it looks as good as I think (it does), and it sounds good enough to me to stake my reputation on it.

But wait, there's more: Bob is bringing his recent BRW/Adi single 0, the one that competes successfully with pretty much any OM, according to reputable sources. NFS, of course, but it will make a believer of about anyone.

And, I loaned a guitar to my customer Tom Tsouris (with whom I am staying in Providence RI and, along with Bob, in Woodstock as well) last winter and we are going to put that on the table as well. That is my super light "Flamenco Amarillo" in Movingai and white spruce.
Tom, these three...

Old 10-23-2017, 06:16 PM

Thanks, you will see me at the booth!!!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:04 PM

Default Woodstock

I offered and can still bring it if you need another. See you Saturday.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Now that Woodstock ‘017 is behind us, Bruce is back at work in his shop.

Because he had not made a J-185 shaped 16” flat top up until I requested one for this commission, he in turn needed to make a bending form for his Fox bender. Australian Blackwood can easily scorch when using a heat to assist in bending so he is proceeding carefully. The non-cutaway sides are now bent and the Honduran Mahogany neck and end blocks are installed.

Here is a shot below:

Old 11-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Bruce has successfully bent the Venetian cutaway with his pipe bender (time for a drink!)

Old 11-04-2017, 06:34 PM

Default single O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post

Hi Bruce,

Is that single O style that you speak of the guitar with the cutaway in the picture of the three of them(white spruce,afg dread,single O)?
Is the bottom of the fretboard a full 2 1/2"wide ,like the old slot-head martins where?
I have tried to play a few of them old slotheads.To big of a change with the 1 7/8th nut(is that what it is?),it felt to foreign to play.

When you make those style guitars now,do you offer them with a 1 3/4 nut spacing?

Cheers JJ
Old 11-04-2017, 07:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bob's guitar has my fairly typical nut/bridge juxtaposition ; 1 3/4+ a twitch x 2 5/16, ever so slightly wider than the contemporary standard, but NOTHING as extreme as what Martin did before the golden era. I will do anything asked of my as far as playing ergonomics are concerned. It's not MY guitar, after all! And maybe I did something slightly different than I just said, I have made several guitars since; Bob will know. If not asked for something specific, I do what I think works best, which is what I just described.

Of the many people who played this guitar at WILS, not a single one said anything about the neck, only the sound. That is what I want, the neck should not be noticed. The guitar should get out of the way of the music.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Just to follow-up, Bruce being a custom luthier builds guitars to his client’s specifications in terms of scale-length, nut width, string spacing and fingerboard radius. I have guitars by Bruce with multi-scale (25.1” to 25.35”), 24.9” and 25.4”, some have a more vintage neck profile and others have a double elliptical neck profile. For this guitar I have asked for it to have a double elliptical neck profile and slightly narrower string spacing at 2-1/4”, while other guitars I have by Bruce have been 2-5/16”.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 11-05-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Spelling...:)
Old 11-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Peone

This is the process that Bruce calls “building in the air”. Instead of using the aid of body molds and Spanish Cedar or Honduran Mahogany kerfed linings for his top to rim coupling, Bruce uses HHG to install individual pieces of spruce called “peone” or “tentalones” in the Spanish tradition. Here is a shot of this in mid-process and near completion sans some clean up.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
This is the process that Bruce calls “building in the air”. Instead of using the aid of body molds and Spanish Cedar or Honduran Mahogany kerfed linings for his top to rim coupling, Bruce uses HHG to install individual pieces of spruce called “peone” or “tentalones” in the Spanish tradition. Here is a shot of this in mid-process and near completion sans some clean up.

Looking good Bruce, nice meeting you at Woodstock!
Old 11-05-2017, 11:27 PM

Just saw this today at the NCAL meeting, take my word, it's gonna be sweet! Typical Sexauer awsomenessness, when the finish hits the back it's going to pop big time. VERY cool wood.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
Just saw this today at the NCAL meeting, take my word, it's gonna be sweet! Typical Sexauer awsomenessness, when the finish hits the back it's going to pop big time. VERY cool wood.
I am a fan of "typical Sexauer awsomeness" (TSA to some...).

Given the quality of the top and body woods being used and the mastery of Bruce it will no doubt produce another superlative instrument that is easy on the eyes to boot...
Old 11-06-2017, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Ribbons

Bruce glued in some “camouflage” side ribbons to reinforce the rims.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:14 PM

What side ribbons?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop