The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-01-2017, 06:40 PM

Default Nice Pawn Shop Bargain-Yamaha APX5na

I made an out-of-town detour to a pawn shop that has carried some nice instruments in the past. I didn't expect to find anything I wanted there, but lately I've been wanting a contemporary style nylon hybrid. To my surprise, the shop had a discontinued hybrid model from Yamaha in excellent condition, the APX5na. It's on the left of my Cordoba Fusion Orchestra.

With new Savarez Corum High Tension strings it's very nice. It has a well rounded/balanced tone. It's volume is lower than my Cordoba, but like it, the tone is open not muffled, and it has great sustain. The B Band pickup is something I didn't expect to be so good. It has a very sensitive element and offers a good "airy" reproduction of acoustic tone with negligible quack/pressure on the attack. The only real issue I've found with the Yamaha hybrids is the string spacing at the nut (I plan to replace it).

This is my 3rd hybrid I've owned. Recently, I got desire for a "complete hybrid", that was tonally more contemporary voiced or closer to a steel string rather than a classical. I've reviewed the NTX on the forum previously. Between the two, I'm very pleased I found this one. If these guitars are consistent, I'd say they're a "potential" gem in realm of contemporary type hybrid guitars.

Last edited by Turp; 02-09-2017 at 02:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical