The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-22-2017, 08:12 PM

Default Finger tip noise - unavoidable?

I work full time with my hands and my fingertips are fairly calloused. In fact I have to keep my nails quite short (just protruding past the finger tip) or otherwise they get broken at work.

My question is how to avoid the annoying noise my skin makes on the strings as it brushes past, especially on the treble strings. My skin is fairly rough, and I can hear even the smallest amount of contact.

It's not loud, compared to the note played, but it bugs me. It was thinking about filing off my fingerprint or something like that. Not even sure that would work.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

TK
Old 01-22-2017, 08:32 PM

Technique. Practice playing so that you lift your fingers prior to moving your hand position. Listen to any of the "greats" and you'll almost never hear string noise due to sliding fingers of the fretting hand.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Technique. Practice playing so that you lift your fingers prior to moving your hand position. Listen to any of the "greats" and you'll almost never hear string noise due to sliding fingers of the fretting hand.
I disagree that the great players avoid string noise completely. I listened to Segovia today for hours - lots of string noise. Technique can help, but I think that most if not all squeak some when they play.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:21 PM

I should specify my problem is on my right hand! Sorry about not making that clear. When I strike the strings with my fingers, even the slightest contact with the flesh before the nail makes a sound. That's my pet peeve.

Left hand noise yes you are right, the best way to slightly lift before shifting.

TK
Old 01-22-2017, 09:34 PM

A bit of talcum powder on your fingers might also help. There are commercial products out there that supposedly conquers squeak, but, to me, because the are "oil" based they tend to deaden the strings, too, despite their claims to the contrary.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical