The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-26-2016, 08:34 PM

Default Does your X 20 sound like this?

https://youtu.be/ClDLUsFhM3I

(If you could imbed this for me it would be appreciated
Old 12-26-2016, 08:50 PM

Here it is, but I have to say, the guitar sounds like a toy in this video.

Here's a much better recording, and a very accurate representation of what the X20's that I have played sound like.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 12-26-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:48 PM

[QUOTE=Ted @ LA Guitar Sales;5170976]Here it is, but I have to say, the guitar sounds like a toy in this video.

I couldn't see your videos.
I agree, it sounds like a toy. the treble was almost brittle. ken
Old 12-26-2016, 11:59 PM

You really gotta search sometimes. Most recordings of the RainSong Shorty are not very good- sounding very bright and not balanced at all. However, there were a couple exceptional videos done by great players and with good recording gear. Al Petteway's recording of the Shorty really sold me on that guitar. He also plays some mean guitar on an X20 here (I think it sounds luscious):

Old 12-27-2016, 06:48 AM

A decent mic that can accurately capture the sound of a guitar makes a huge difference. I'm sure there are a number of X20 owners who play daily that can tell us which video is closest to reality (assuming you have good headphones or speakers connected at home.)

My recordings sound like the first two at the top using my phone or even the mic built into my decent DSLR. When I play the videos back through decent sound equipment, my guitars all sound tinny and klinky compared to the actual sound the guitars produce.

The small mics on phones and cameras are just not designed to handle the musical sound spectrum very well. They are typically optimized to do well with voices speaking and do a good job there.

Anyone doing serious video work will buy decent mics that attach to the camera. They make a huge difference, even though they are not at studio mic quality.

So from the last video using a studio mic, to the first two with built in miniature mics, there is a very large gap in the capability to represent the actual sound, IMO.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
You really gotta search sometimes. Most recordings of the RainSong Shorty are not very good- sounding very bright and not balanced at all. However, there were a couple exceptional videos done by great players and with good recording gear. Al Petteway's recording of the Shorty really sold me on that guitar. He also plays some mean guitar on an X20 here (I think it sounds luscious)
The Petteway video, and the ones produced from Emerald definitely make the guitar sound better, but I am not sure they represent the true tone of the guitar. Definitely sounds like there are some special effects in play. A good friend of mine records his guitar tracks with a $250 Carvin acoustic, by the time he is done in the studio, that guitar can sound like anything he wants it to. Also note that Al is playing the guitar fingerstyle, a much better role for the X20.

In my experience, the second video in my previous post provides an accurate representation of what the X20 sounds like when strummed.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:33 AM

Not tonally related, but Al Petteway will be an instructor at the Acoustic Alaska Guitar Camp next August. I'm not affiliated with the camp, I'm just a long time camper who has had the opportunity to study with a long list of primo teachers. Most classes have ten students or less, and there is a 75 minute class each day of the week.
www.acousticalaska.com
Old 12-27-2016, 07:13 PM

I'm looking for an emerald chimera recording unplugged. Steve has good ones and emeralds videos are plugged into amps. I couldn't believe a chimera would sound so poorly.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

How someone could post such a poor sounding bit is beyond me...

Here's what my X20 sounds like:

https://youtu.be/27n8f4XrOIE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber