The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-27-2016, 09:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
Classy rosette.
Thanks Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
The blood spots make me wonder how much blood (and sweat, and maybe even tears) is built into a great hand-built guitar. I guess it shows in a different way, huh? Beautiful work and gorgeous wood.
It varies, but hopefully less blood and tears than sweat. Thanks for the nice comments.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here are a couple more shots of the 0-12 with binding:

Old 12-27-2016, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Mighty clean work (as usual) John O...
Old 12-27-2016, 11:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

I agree with your take on the simple butt wedge design. Its classic and Ive not seen anything that i like better. Nice clean job. Very tasteful.

Come to think of it, the only variation that i like as well as the simple taper is a simpler non- taper like that often seen on classical guitars.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Mighty clean work (as usual) John O...
Thanks Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
I agree with your take on the simple butt wedge design. Its classic and Ive not seen anything that i like better. Nice clean job. Very tasteful.

Come to think of it, the only variation that i like as well as the simple taper is a simpler non- taper like that often seen on classical guitars.
I have seen some really impressive and unique ideas done on these butts, but yea the wedge is simple classic and I works really well I most cases. I have done a couple of non-tapers too, I like them too.

I started to move on to the neck. I decided to go with a one piece neck for this one. Usually I do some sort of laminated neck, but I had such a nice piece of mahogany, I thought I would just stick with the one-piece for this one. Here are a couple of shots of beginning of the process.

Here was just a quick layup of the neck with a fretboard, a quick check to make sure I made the right measurement for the scale length etc.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:54 AM

Been following this with great admiration. Shaping up nicely with a substantial nod to traditional aesthetics ... which I favor.

I'm curious, have you done any builds with a recurve of the upper bout into the f-board extension ... sort of a renaissance look?
Old 12-28-2016, 09:17 PM

Love the simple elegance John
Old 12-29-2016, 07:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerfan View Post
Been following this with great admiration. Shaping up nicely with a substantial nod to traditional aesthetics ... which I favor.

I'm curious, have you done any builds with a recurve of the upper bout into the f-board extension ... sort of a renaissance look?
Thanks. No I have not done any (guitar) builds with that sort of look. There was a time when I introduced a vintage series, but those were mostly focused on OM and Dreads of the 30's. I have a ton of respect for these early instruments, and the stuff that came even before them. A friend if mine really got into the Stauffer style Martins. I was on a behind the scene tour at the Martin factory and got to handle a couple of these up close and personal. I guess that is where the influence for the rosette came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross748 View Post
Love the simple elegance John
Thanks Ross. Believe me I like to over-do it sometimes, but it means a lot to me when people see the elegance in a simple design. That said, the rosette has over 150 pieces in it, so it really wasn't that simple to put together.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey John, that's quite nice. Sweet looking guitar!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 12-29-2016, 12:37 PM

The rosette does look intricate but this piece is just screaming edgebust finish ❤️ Really liking this a lot.

Need to visit your shop. Just a stone throw away here in RI.

Last edited by ross748; 12-29-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:55 PM

Late to this party, but just wanted to say this is shaping up beautifully!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Hey John, that's quite nice. Sweet looking guitar!

Steve
Thanks Steve, of course you and Ryan are doing assume stuff,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross748 View Post
The rosette does look intricate but this piece is just screaming edgebust finish ❤️ Really liking this a lot.

Need to visit your shop. Just a stone throw away here in RI.
Hmm, I have not thought about the sunburst, but we'll see, it might be something to think about. Of course, you are welcome to come on by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Late to this party, but just wanted to say this is shaping up beautifully!
Thanks Louie, this one is little different from what I had a Woodstock, but most of what is under the hood so to speak pretty much remains the same. (of course adjusted for the body size.)
Old 12-31-2016, 08:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here are a few shots of the putting the titanium trussrod together for this one. I think I have posted some of the process before, but I don't know if I showed the bending procedure. It is a one-way truss rod but (again) I like it for it's simplicity.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here are a couple of shots of the headstock for this one. There is probably a business reason to make one and one style headstock but as a custom builder, I have decided to do a couple of different options. My Straight String Pull (SSP) headstock is my default and I have covered the reasoning for that idea before. I have a client who owns a number of my guitars and we are working one a few ideas for his next (couple) of guitars. One of them will be an archtop that he wanted to go with a slightly different headstock than my standard SSP. This is when we came up with the NQSSP (Not Quite Straight String Pull.) It will still get my Stealth Truss Rod Cover

First up is the headstock just after I inlayed the Maple logo and the Stealth Truss Rod cover removed.

Speaking of Stealth, this one will be getting Gotoh Stealth Tuners, You can see the counterbores all set for these. In the photo below the logo has been cleaned up. I contemplated binding the headstock, but since I used rosewood for the front, I decided to go sans binding on this one

Old 01-02-2017, 10:42 AM

Love those simple appointments. Classic and classy.

Pat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop