The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Default Yamaha g60a, anybody ever play one of these? Opinions?

I'm about to acquire one tomorrow morning. I have not seen it in person, nor do I have very good knowledge about it's condition, but I am trading a couple old bows I have not shot for a bit, so I am not sweating it or nothing. I am just curious if anybody has played one of these, and if they are nice at all? I have run across some info somewhere that stated that these had 48mm nut widths, which is kinda crazy. I am just hoping it is playable, and doesn't have extreme high action/neck warp/a big hole in it, (that isn't supposed to be there, lol) Yamaha's website states the info as:

Year(s) Sold: 1969-73
Original MSRP(US$): $79.50
Top: Spruce
Back / Sides: Maple
Neck: Nato
Fingerboard: Bubinga
Bridge: Bubinga
Color(s): Natural
Notes: Top may be pine

Wish me good luck tomorrow, .
Old 10-19-2012, 09:32 PM

Since you should already have the guitar, you already know what it is. I have a G55a, pretty much the same thing. It was Yamaha's basic classical. No frills, just a sturdy starter guitar. My parents bought it as a Christmas present when my first guitar( a cheapo steel string I traded a broken lawnmower for) literally came apart at the seams. It has held up well and sounds pretty good considering it's been passed around the family and has been generally neglected. I still use it in my truck as a beater. Doesn't seem bothered by the weather extemes even though I leave it in there all the time. It gives me my nylon fix and keeps on going. A good guitar.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:52 PM

You are correct, I do have the guitar, . It is a pretty nice guitar, but has seen MUCH better days, . Looks like it had a long abusive relationship with someone over the years, I am glad I can take it in, and teach it to love again, as I am sure it is bitter and full of hate from getting the crap beaten out of it for 40 years. And for some reason the frets look quite old, but look like the guitar was never even played once? Yet it has a million scraps and gashes, and one break on the lower bout that looks like something was melted to mend the break? However, funtional wise, it aint too bad. The eight fret was raised a bit, so I pounded it down with a piece of wood and a hammer (very gently). The nut was bone, actually it was hand carved bone from the ladys step dad or something like that, that is a butcher. It looked like it was carved with a knife. I sanded and polished it, and than realized than I sanded it too low and now I have buzzing open strings I have to take care of. I shimmed it, but it seems the card board I shimmed it with really does dampens the sound of the open strings, so I figure I am going to turn it 90 degrees and sand it down again, and reslot it once again at a higher height. I am slowly working a bone saddle down to a good action, or at least the best I will get.

Edit: Ok, got the nut done for the most part. It is FINALLY playing ok, but the nut is very high. I know it could come down a bit, but I am happy for now. (read: lazy) It sounds pretty good. It is really a fun little guitar, with a good amount of life left in it. It is still 100% playable after all these years, which is cool. Where the action where it is, there is zero buzz. I will be lowering it a bit though. Now I need to figure out how to:

Clean guitar,
Polish guitar (if this is even a good idea),
Restore the ancient tuners, as they are not the easiest to use,...

...and I will be done. The (very very kind) lady gave me a kingston steel string as well. The tuners are like classical tuners but with small metal rollers. The bridge is lifting a bit on this guitar, just a tiny bit though. It seems it might have a hump at the 12th fret or so, which sucks. I took off the plastic nut and saddle, and will be ordering a bone saddle blank and a bone nut blank as well next month.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:08 PM

I got one of those Yamaha classicals from that era, too. They are pretty good sounding and very sturdy. It is my travel guitar. I actually thought it was a solid top when I first tried it, but it is laminated. One of the best investments I made!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical