The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 PM

Default Cervantes Crossover II

I played a Cervantes Crossover a few years ago...and I just couldn't get it out of my mind. Last Saturday, I went to my local shop (Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, Ca.) to buy strings.

Well, you can't drive all the way to Gryphon without tickling a few strings, now can you.

This time, I played a Cervantes Crossover II. It is still considered a crossover because the fretboard has a radius, atypical of a traditional classical guitar. The Crossover II also has a wider neck...52mm as opposed to the 48mm nut width on the Crossover I. Wow, she played beautifully...love the wider nut and I love, love the radius'd fretboard. Indian rosewood back/sides and a beautiful Engelmann spruce top...this guitar sounds wonderful!

I put a deposit on her, to make sure no one steals her from me. Going to sell a few guitars to "justify" this impulsive buy. Well, not exactly impulsive. I've been coveting this guitar for a few years now.

Looking forward to bringing her home. Will post photos and a humble sound byte asap.

Darryl
Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Darryl - sounds like you had a great day and a Congrats is in order. What are the "few" guitars you have to sell? Good luck!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Darryl - sounds like you had a great day and a Congrats is in order. What are the "few" guitars you have to sell? Good luck!
Thank you Dru!

Actually, I called Gryphon today and paid in full by phone. I just couldn't wait until I sold a few guitars. Now, I need to find some time to get back up there to pick it up.

I think I will sell my 712CE and maybe my G&L electrics (x2). Not sure yet. Guess I better figure it out before my wife gets mad.

Can't wait to bring her home!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 AM

The Cervantes Crossover II is my dream nylon string. I will be selling my Taylor nylon asap to put the money towards the Crossover II. I think I'll have a K&K pickup system installed in it when I finally put the money together for it. I am jealous. You have to let me know how it sounds/plays after you have had it for a while.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 AM

52mm nut with a radius fretboard hmmm ...i 'd really like to play that guitar out of curiosity
Old 10-18-2012, 07:35 AM

This week was booked with meetings and conference calls (for work) and next week I'm at a week-long conference. I was thinking it would be more than a week before I could make it up to Palo Alto to pick up my Cervantes.

As it turns out, tonight's conference call has been cancelled...and so, I will get to sneak up to Gryphon tonight!

I'll post a few photos and I'll try to find some time to record a video.

By the way, the 52mm radius'd fretboard plays like a dream. For me, the radius'd fretboard is the compelling feature of the "cross over". I actually prefer the wider nut.

And, she sounds like a million bucks. Really quite loud with a meaty treble and very resonant, clear, dark bass.

More to follow...
Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 PM

...okay, picked up my Cervantes tonight and got to play her for about an hour. Really quite a wonderful guitar.

No time to take photos, so here is a link to Gryphon's website and photos of this beautiful guitar: http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/37356/37356.php

I learned that I purchased the lesser expensive series of Cervantes. The Avant-Garde series is very reasonably priced and hand made in Mexico.

Craftsmanship and finish is pretty good. The guy at Gryphon told me it has a nitrocellulose lacquer finish.

1. Tone - beautiful, clear, resonant tone and responds so nicely to soft plucks or aggressive plucks of the string. Tone does not fall a part when you played hard.
2. Playability - plays like a dream.
3. Body size seems small, which I like very much.
4. Jumbo frets! Love the jumbo frets and had them installed on my Taylor 912C years ago.
5. Very nice, high quality case (Humi-case)

Dislikes

1. Guitar is loose in the case; not a snug fit. I much prefer a very snug fit like my Taylor and Holst guitars. Guess some day I'll have to search for a case that fits better.
2. Fret markers...you know, the dots on the side of the neck. Cervantes only marks the 7th fret. Okay, maybe that is an amateur remark, but I like and appreciate fret markers. I find I'm sometimes a half step off because I'm so used to fret markers. Oh well...I'll get used to this I'm sure.

Well, the likes far outweigh the dislikes and I think I like this guitar for all the right reasons.

Will try to post a recording or video sometime soon.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:46 AM

Please come and listen to my new guitar...
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...48#post3215748

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=269750

Last edited by Livingston; 10-21-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM

Default Cervantes Crossover II

I'm wondering how your new guitar compares to the Goodall Crossover. If you have played one, please comment on that?

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical