The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Default Tremolo fingerpicking

Anyone have any good advice on how to learn this technique?
I seem to have great difficulty executing it properly and I'm not sure why. The problem is I can't get enough volume when I do it, I sort of almost get there but it's way too weak sounding.

One thing is I keep my nails really short and it doesn't exactly help I guess but you should be able to do it without fingernails too right? Should I just practice more or is there something I'm missing? I've tried looking at youtube videos but they didn't help much.

It's not that big of a deal as I don't really play much music that uses the technique but it would still be good to learn properly.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Philip Hii has recently put up a series of posts about tremolo on his blog, http://philiphii.com

When I first started with classical guitar, I found tremolo to be fairly easy, until I got used to hearing how hard it is and started to believe it. It became a struggle for a long time, until recently when teachers and friends convinced me that persistence and keeping a good attitude about it is the key. You have to relax and don't work hard (physically) while you practice it, or you won't be able to relax and not work hard while you perform it.

I don't have great tremolo yet, but it's come very far in the last couple of months. I've been able to perform a few pieces with tremolo passages in public and my technique held up.

Dealing with frustration is its own thing. It might sound crazy, but I started making myself smile while practicing, and it really turned my playing around. I enjoy playing more now, too.

Last edited by wbajzek; 10-12-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 PM

dont try to play fast, play it at a speed where your notes are loud and clear.doesnt matter it doesnt sound like tremolo yet, use a metronome.
when your ok at a slow speed study it a little faster but not too much and so on.
fingernails are very important
here is a video i find helpful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1leA0JKHhE
Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM

You'll struggle without longer nails - the tremolo is a nail-only contact with the string. Make sure not to use flesh and nail, this slows it down - so you need to change the angle of your hand a little so the flesh doesn't have contact with the string.

Hope that's helpful.

Jonny
Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbajzek View Post
Philip Hii has recently put up a series of posts about tremolo on his blog, http://philip.hii.com
It's actually http://philiphii.com Great site. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Not to play the "Devil's advocate" here, but Francisco Tarrega, composer of "Recuerdos de la Alhambra," cut his nails shorter and shorter near the end of his life in search of the "perfect" tone. He barely had any nail left before he died, and I doubt he stopped playing any of his pieces that included tremolo...so maybe there is hope
Old 10-12-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
It's actually http://philiphii.com Great site. Thanks!
Sorry, I didn't catch my typo before it went out.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN0INTD View Post
Not to play the "Devil's advocate" here, but Francisco Tarrega, composer of "Recuerdos de la Alhambra," cut his nails shorter and shorter near the end of his life in search of the "perfect" tone. He barely had any nail left before he died, and I doubt he stopped playing any of his pieces that included tremolo...so maybe there is hope
His tremolo was terrible though!!
Old 10-13-2012, 05:10 AM

check this out:

http://youtu.be/iw-ryfNcXZc

not much in the way of nails on his right hand
Old 10-13-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
His tremolo was terrible though!!
Is this a joke?
If not, please tell me you have a recording of him playing!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN0INTD View Post
Is this a joke?
If not, please tell me you have a recording of him playing!!!
Exactly - how do we know it wasn't rubbish?

I was taught that tremolo was more accurate and balanced with just nails - Martha Masters confirms this method in her book "Reaching the next level". That is not to say that it can also be performed well using flesh and nail.

Jonny
Old 10-15-2012, 03:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies, really helpful info .
Seems I'm going to have to let my nails grow out on my right hand. I've been struggling to get volume when doing it and it's definitely because of the flesh contact, I get that now. To get louder volume with the flesh you have to press down on the string which effectively mutes it.

Quite a revelation hah, this stuff is all pretty new to me as I've only recently started to become more serious with the acoustic. Never had this problem with distortion and a pick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical