The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 PM

Default you figure it out

this is an obvious what sounds best to you, with respect. Obviously classicals were meant to be played with fingernails, but if you use a pick, just trial and error, thickness of picks is really going to be the clincher. I say a thin pick, some say medium, thick, etc, so you go to the music store, buy a variety of pick thicknesses, and go for it...

Last edited by locorogue; 10-01-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM

I use a variety of different picks (mostly when I'm recording strumming or doing a solo). The choice of pick is determined by what I'm playing as you get really different textures with different picks. For example doubling a rhytm track you can get a really nice and even background texture with a really thin pick when a thick one sounds too boomy, single notes again can have too big of an attack with a thin pick so I use something thicker there. My first choice as an all round pick though would be Dunlop Jazz III (I play the electric mostly).
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM

I just ordered some 'Freedom Picks' by Fred Kelly at elderly. I need to fit them to my fingers, which I'm told is easy to do with some hot water...

My first impression is that I like them. A little longer than my natural nail at it's best, and I can file the pick to the exact shape I want. I also just placed an order to try out some of the Alaska picks.

Regarding using a standard pick on nylon strings, while I'm not a picker on mine, when I have tried picks, I lean towards something with a beveled edge, like a V-Pick traditional lite. Very little pick noise, and has a nice tone.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM

Okay, it turned out that several places here do carry the Alaska picks - just had to check the small indie shops. I picked some up, and and still waiting for my classical guitar to arrive so I can try them out. No mail delivery today - wretched national holiday!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical