The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 05:18 PM

Default Question about shiipping a guitar.

I had a guitar built from a guy from my home state of Pa. The pick up date was scheduled for Friday to be delivered to me here in Fla. Long story short it has not been picked up as of this time. The builder went out of town today for a week but left it in a mudroom. It's been there since Friday. The temperatures there range from 30-40 F. Do I need to be concerned with the guitar sitting in the cold that long ?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:12 PM

I'd be more concerned with what the humidity levels were for that period of time.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 PM

It needs to acclimate. When you receive it, leave it in the box for a day.
That's a big temperature change. I just bought two guitars that traveled in the cold. I let them both sit for 24 hours before I opened either.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
It needs to acclimate. When you receive it, leave it in the box for a day.
That's a big temperature change. I just bought two guitars that traveled in the cold. I let them both sit for 24 hours before I opened either.
What about the fact that it slowly acclimated as it was trucked from the north to the south, and then spent time in a UPS sort facility, and then sat on a UPS truck for at least several hours until it was delivered?

I wonder if the temperature change is more of a problem in cold climates where a guitar goes from cold weather into a warm house?
Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
What about the fact that it slowly acclimated as it was trucked from the north to the south, and then spent time in a UPS sort facility, and then sat on a UPS truck for at least several hours until it was delivered?

I wonder if the temperature change is more of a problem in cold climates where a guitar goes from cold weather into a warm house?
Wade addressed this in a thread a week or so ago. As I have many times here. 24 hours is overkill, but I would never tell someone not to wait 24 hours if they wanted to.

My Takamine was shipped in the freezing cold a month ago. It sat in PO for 3 hours before I picked it up. Since it was in a warm room for 3 hours I took it out of the shipping box to let the case and guitar acclimate. I then opened the case and felt it for temp, it was room temp so I took it out and inspected it. Then I put it back in for 2 or 3 more hours. By 3 that afternoon I had it out tuned it and played it. By 7 that night I was adjusting the truss rod.

HOWEVER, this sounds like a custom build so I would follow the recommendations of the builder, period. You will need to follow his instructions for warranty if needed. That's why dealers recommend 24 hours, because it's their pocket book that is potentially affected.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the replies !!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion