The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-15-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarkoa599 View Post
OH MY that was breath taking! Your music is so good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarkoa599 View Post
OH HOW I LOVE THIS!!!! BEAUTIFUL!
I appreciate your kind support. Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Beautiful version of a most haunting song.
Thank you, Jon. There's a few notes I'd like to take back but overall I'm happy with the way it turned out.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:50 AM

I've been working on a new piece in the last couple of weeks which was meant to be a follow up to "Virginia".

But as I listened to my test recordings I couldn't help but imagine that I was "staring at the sea".

Since that title was already taken by one of my favourite bands, I simply decided to translate it to French and it became "Regard sur mer".

As always, thank you for listening.

https://youtu.be/1Nd98l_tnlI

Old 02-05-2017, 12:56 AM

Wow, thank you for that! Truly mesmerizingly beautiful.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Wonderful, beautiful, and mesmerizing all at once yet again.

May I please inquire, do you have music theory training Mau? When I am noodling and coming up with new melodies, playing only by ear and never any lessons or music theory, my biggest difficulty is not coming up with interesting melodies, but filling out the notes with a bass line, progressions, or full chords to play along with the melody....I get frustrated not finding the note I have in my head and I stop. Any thoughts?
Old 02-05-2017, 11:19 AM

Thanks Mau!!! Perfect for listening....and, having just returned from a first ever cruise, the song returned me to a recent fantastic memory of watching the islands of Tortola unfold as we moved away from her shores. Wonderful!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Easy listening for certain. I was playing with your impressions in my mind and imagined I was watching over the shoulder of a water color artist as he painted a seascape. Wonderful tune Mau
Old 02-05-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Wow, thank you for that! Truly mesmerizingly beautiful.
Thanks so much for catching my recording so quickly! I appreciate your kind feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wonderful, beautiful, and mesmerizing all at once yet again.

May I please inquire, do you have music theory training Mau? When I am noodling and coming up with new melodies, playing only by ear and never any lessons or music theory, my biggest difficulty is not coming up with interesting melodies, but filling out the notes with a bass line, progressions, or full chords to play along with the melody....I get frustrated not finding the note I have in my head and I stop. Any thoughts?
Thanks Tom.

I first started to play keyboard when I was 4 or 5. I started formal lessons when I was 7 or 8 and studied classical piano for 10 years. I quit because it was getting too serious/time consuming and becoming a musician was never my objective.

On the guitar, I've only taken a few lessons here and there so I'm self-taught for the most part.

That being said, I think there's an important difference between knowing about music theory and developing a good ear for tones and an instinct for music in general.

Ideally I think that a serious musician should have both skills but there's plenty of great musicians who only play by ear (and also plenty of academics with poor musicianship). It depends what your natural skills are and what you want to make of it.

For hobbyists who can afford it, I most definitely recommend taking private lessons for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Thanks Mau!!! Perfect for listening....and, having just returned from a first ever cruise, the song returned me to a recent fantastic memory of watching the islands of Tortola unfold as we moved away from her shores. Wonderful!
I hope you had a good trip, Fred. Tortola sounds like a wonderful destination!

Thanks so much for listening as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Easy listening for certain. I was playing with your impressions in my mind and imagined I was watching over the shoulder of a water color artist as he painted a seascape. Wonderful tune Mau
Thank you, Dennis.

I stood by a frozen lake not so long ago and that may have triggered this music.

I'm certainly glad you enjoyed my latest effort.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:16 PM

As usual, great music Mau...
All the Best
Old 02-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
As usual, great music Mau...
All the Best
Thanks, Dave. I don't think I would've come up with this kind of music without this guitar.

I read a lot of folks on the AGF are suffering from GAS when they're not satisfied with their guitars. I'm the opposite... When I'm not excited about my guitars, I have no inspiration and don't think about getting a new one -- but when I really like a guitar, I dream of having several several copies of it.

An EIR or cocobolo sibling would be really nice...
Old 02-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Saturday bump!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:10 AM

While I was born in Vietnam and speak Vietnamese (I'm actually a 3rd generation Vietnamese), to most of the people in Vietnam I am considered Chinese. That's actually the primary reason why I had the opportunity to grow up in Canada. Sad story of ugly racism and anti-capitalism that fortunately had a happy ending for my family. Alas thousands of people weren't as lucky as we were. Commies are dumb and greedy rats.

Like most of the Chinese diaspora, my parents listened to a lot of Chinese music. While I couldn't understand a word, the melodies had a lasting effect on me.

So I've decided to come up with a series of short pieces which I've called "Variations chinoises" (for "Chinese Variations"). I have to work tomorrow and should be in bed by now -- but here's a recording of #1.

The first take was ruined by an iPad bug. I was ready to call it quits for tonight but decided to give it another shot.

Thank you for listening.

https://youtu.be/GoNBdBDaWrg

Old 04-24-2017, 04:31 AM

Very heartfelt composition Mau. And as usual, great playing and a great sounding guitar!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-24-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Very heartfelt composition Mau. And as usual, great playing and a great sounding guitar!
Thanks, Marcus.

I wrote the arpeggios for the main theme without restricting myself with time signatures. And then I added a few "weeping" parts to give the piece a Chinese flavour...
Old 04-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Clouds just parted Mau, its sunny....! Love it
Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 PM

Thanks so much, Mau! Beautiful runs and soulful journey with this song. and also sharing your thoughts on family history and background. Really liked the switch up to minor around 2;49 or so. (I think that's what you did!).
I'm greedy.......more, more! Now, back to the real world!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop